Lily Lullaby

Lily Lullaby

A Poem by Stephanie
"

I had to write a poem about a flower for the last question of a poetry packet, it had to take on a strange life of it's own. Did I succeed?

"

 

Sweet heavenly scent
Manipulates all senses from the start
Beautiful trickster!
Long white petals
 So pure
 So demure…
Gorgeous wild temptations!
Be they petals painted
 of a tiger’s majestic pride;
be they floating innocently
 on a clear, cool lake…
Wraps the body and the mind
      into false complacency
  with sweet lily lullabies
Until life is devoid,
 Eyes clouded,
 Breath still.
These petals shall rest
 with death…
Forevermore.
 
 

 

© 2013 Stephanie


Author's Note

Stephanie
Keep in mind I wrote this in 5 minutes :]

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

brilliant and beautiful and flawless.

Posted 14 Years Ago


5 mintues? wow you did a wondeful job! i loved it :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I thought that this was great!! Wonderful imagery!! I makes me feel like I'm surrounded by beautiful lillies!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


You wrote this in 5 minutes! Well then that is amazing!

I really liked this I found myself drifting off while I read this lullaby, it just flows so brilliantly! It rocked me back and forth! I love how you juxtapose, "Gorgeous wild temptations," with, dark ideas such as death! It really helps the poem to pack a punch at the end, which isn't something you expect a poem entitled,"Lily Lullaby," to do!

I'm very glad you entered this in, "Be Experimental," otherwise I wouldn't have come across this!

Once again brilliant!

AHouseOfChambers


Posted 14 Years Ago


not to shabby, doll. enough flowery imagery to make O'keefe proud.
My only suggestion to not bold words. just a personal pick, as a reader I like to decide what gets bolded! As a poet, you lose the right to decide that!

viva la

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a beautifully written poem, regardless of the time it took. But the fact that such beauty comes to you so quickly, is definitely something worthy of admiration.Lillies are one of my favourite flowers. To me, they symbolize a wild inner strength behind delicate petals, especially tiger lillies, so I love the lines, "Beautiful trickster!" and "Be they petals painted /of a tiger's majestic pride;" I do believe, as others before me have said, that you have achieved a height far above that of your goal. The imagery is breathtaking, and you have a firm grip on language throughout. That being said, I don't think this piece fits any of the prize categories set in the Dreamscape contest. Please do not take this to mean that your write isn't fantastic, because it is...truly, and in every way. Thank you for entering it, regardless of the outcome, for to have missed this would, indeed, have been a shame. Keep the ink flowing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
A five minute Gift! This is Outstanding! Keep up the Excellent works of art, Stephanie!

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Owl
Interesting idea. Recently, I've been studying William Blake in college. He had a poem called 'The Lily', but he took a differnt approach. He saw the lily as innocence, compared to say, a rose, which has thorns.

I love the idea of the lily being a 'beautiful trickster', though. Reminds me of your flirt poem too.

Also, the font makes me think of hippies, and in turn, Crypto from 'Destroy All Humans' doing what he did best, which was destroying all humans. Particularly hippies.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Great job. (: This poem is very cute.

-Mary

Posted 14 Years Ago


I would say you succeeded... that is so captivating and beautiful, i am seriously at a loss for words to describe how this poem makes me feel... all I can say is bravo.

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 17, 2009
Last Updated on August 26, 2013

Author

Stephanie
Stephanie

Gilroy, CA



About
I'm Stephanie, 27. Still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, even though I have a degree. Getting through some serious writer's block from the past 5+ years. Excited to be back! more..

Writing
Tingle Tingle

A Poem by Stephanie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..