Methuselah's Memoirs

Methuselah's Memoirs

A Story by S. R. Morris
"

This is chapter 6 from my new novel "Methuselah's Memoirs. It is 20 chapters, 124 pages, approx. 40,000 words, and available in paperback from Amazon for $7.99.

"

Methuselah’s Memoirs

 

Chapter 6

 

 

But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.   Genesis. 6:8

 

 

            Ira was the first to reach the crest of the hill overlooking the valley. He jerked the reins and brought his camel to a standstill.

“What in the world?” he uttered in disbelief, directing Lemek’s gaze.

            It was the ark. Lemek recognized it immediately, even though it appeared much different from when he had last viewed it, nearly three decades before. Then, it had looked like the skeleton of an enormous building, a colossal house with hundreds of rooms being built inside. Now, there was no mistaking it; a gigantic ship. Lemek guided his camel and pulled up alongside Ira, without speaking. He, too, was stunned by the tremendous size of the finished ark.

            The rest of Lemek’s party reached the crown of the hill and displayed the same reaction. All six men sat speechless viewing the activity below. A handful of individuals were working around the ship, ferrying objects up a ramp and into the ark. Perhaps a hundred more were standing nearby, listening to someone, who could be none other than Noah himself.

            After an unmeasured span of time, Lemek aroused himself from being entranced by the sight, but said nothing. Gently, he prodded his camel and began the easy descent into the valley. Ira, and the crew with the pack animals, followed. The closer Lemek got to the vessel, the more he was overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of it. He estimated its length to be nearly 300 cubits, and its height to be roughly 30 cubits. By any standards, it was the largest craft he had ever seen.

            As they came within earshot, Lemek realized that those assembled in front of Noah were not workers, and they were not listening to work instructions. Noah was preaching to the mob, and they were interrupting his discourse with rude, derogatory remarks.

            “Because the God of Heaven has seen the great wickedness of this generation, he will destroy the world with a flood,” Noah addressed the crowd in front of him. Lemek was impressed by the sound of the man’s voice. Just like his grandfather, Noah did not appear as old as his 600 years, and the force of his voice was like that of a much younger man. “But the Lord God is gracious and has provided a way to escape the�"”

            “Yeah, put all your livestock in my ship,” a young man mimicked Noah near the front of the group. Then he turned around to those behind him and said, “If the heavens really do open up and pour out a flood of water, I want you all to start paddling like crazy.”

            The assembly responded in raucous laughter. Surprisingly to Lemek, Noah did not counter with scolding of his own. The look on his face appeared to be more of pity than reproach. He continued his oration, pleading for them to listen to him and heed his words.

            “Look at the evil that is continually demonstrated by the hearts of your fellow men,” began Noah again. “Every day we see or hear about crimes that are more horrifying in numbers, or more brutal and vicious than the last. It cannot continue like this and that is why�"”

            “Stop talking, Noah!” the younger man interrupted again. “I’d rather hear news about a murder anywhere, than be bored to death by your endless nonsense about water falling from heaven.”

            “You’re absolutely out of your mind, Noah!” another heckler joined in.

“Even if every man here today began carrying barrels full of water,” another tired to reason, “and each of us poured 100 barrels of water on the ground near your ship each day, it wouldn’t be enough to float your boat. It might make this valley very muddy, but you couldn’t call it a flood and it wouldn’t be enough water to support your ship.”

            “Yeah, do us a favor, Noah,” said another. “See if you can launch that boat on the Havilah River and float out of here. Better yet, just drown yourself.”

            Despite the persistent jeering and mockery of the crowd, Noah continued to plead with them.

            “Don’t you see, the Creator has provided a way to escape the flood that is coming upon this earth,” Noah entreated them. “Our Father in Heaven reads the hearts of men. He knows what lies within your own heart and wants to change it and save you from the coming destruction.”

            “Do you think that you and your family are so pure and holy and better than us all?” challenged a woman in the crowd. “Your family, your sons are no better than my family. We’ve never killed anyone and we don’t steal. But will God destroy us if we don’t take a voyage in your ship?”

            “No, he’s no better than we are,” answered a man as he reached down and picked up a stone to throw at Noah.

            “Why are you all so angry?” Lemek argued loudly from where he sat atop his camel. “If he is wrong about the flood, you’ll live as usual. If time proves him right, will you still be angry? Or are you annoyed because something he has said rings true in your own heart?”

            As Lemek spoke, people turned to catch sight of the stranger on the camel.

            “You speak as a newcomer,” sneered one man. “But we have heard his speeches for over a hundred years, and we are sick of his incessant noise.”

            “I’m going home,” said the man as he dropped the stone from his hand. “Nothing’s changed. Noah’s folly will sit here in this valley long after he is dead.”

            Many from the crowd nodded in agreement and began walking away. Others stayed and talked among themselves, frequently stealing glances at Lemek and his troop. Ira studied Lemek, wondering why his employer had spoken so brashly when the plan was to be as inconspicuous as possible. He wondered if Lemek’s comments had put them in danger by the group still lingering. Then he noticed as a young man, who was speaking with Noah, turned and walked directly toward them.

            “Peace to you and your friends,” the young man greeted Lemek and his crew. “My name is Shem. My father has invited you all to stay and eat lunch with us today. Your animals will be well provided for.”

            “Peace to you and your family,” Lemek returned the blessing. “We will be pleased to share a meal with you.”

            The smell of freshly baked bread beckoned the six weary travelers to enjoy the simple food: barley bread with dates, lentil soup seasoned with leeks, and a variety of fresh fruits. Although it was plain in comparison to the menu they were accustomed to, Lemek felt it was the best meal he had ever tasted on any of his journeys. As they finished the repast, the conversation naturally turned to the ark.

            “Your ship is much larger than I remembered on my last visit to see it,” Lemek remarked. “Although I have been to Havilah many times, it has been more than 30 years since I last saw your ark, and it didn’t look as it does now.”

            “Yes, it surely must look different now, if it has been that long since you last saw it,” replied Noah. “I heard your answer to the group gathered at the ark today, but I don’t remember seeing you before, or speaking with you. My sons agree that we have never met you.”

            Lemek took a quick look at Noah’s sons as the patriarch paused in his speech. All three young men resembled their father, yet each was noticeably different. Shem looked most like his father, while Ham had dark eyes and hair, and Japheth was fair-haired and had a fair complexion. Shem and Ham appeared to be more accustomed to working in the sun than did Japheth. Lemek turned back to Noah and used the pause as an opportunity to explain himself and his expedition.

            “No, it is true that we have never spoken, and I have never spoken to your sons before today,” admitted Lemek. “I have visited Havilah many times in the last century because my business of manufacturing metal products has brought me near your valley several times. My visits near your valley were always to hear the tales of your grandfather, Methuselah. I have always enjoyed hearing his tales of the early days, of his father, Enoch, and his visits with his great-grandfather, Adam. When I heard, in my home city of Benkane City, that your grandfather was dead, I knew I had to make the pilgrimage to see the resting place of the Ancient One.”

            “I am surprised to hear that anyone from the wicked city of Benkane is interested in what my grandfather has to say about the early days,” declared Noah. “But my grandfather was not great, and he would be the first to confess that to you. He would tell you that he was simply a humble worshipper of the Creator God and, like my father and his father before him, a preacher of God’s love, justice, and mercy.”

            Lemek had hoped to disguise his reason from the trek as respect for Methuselah, but quickly realized that Noah and his sons were not easily persuaded. He searched his mind to find a believable reason for the journey, but could not imagine one. At last, he resolved to tell the truth�"at least in part.

            “It is true that I live in a wicked city, but it is also true that the stories of the early days, told by your grandfather, intrigued me and would not let my mind cast off his words as a myth,” Lemek explained. “Three weeks ago, when I first heard of Methuselah’s death, I resolved to travel here and try to persuade you and your family to sell me the memoirs of your grandfather.

“Please excuse me for speaking so soon after your family’s loss, but I have traveled far, through dangerous lands, to get here. I remembered that a scribe was always nearby recording Methuselah’s words, collecting his tales, and I wish to preserve his life story. I want to hear more of his stories, and I hope to share them with others in Benkane City and the region of Nod.”

            Lemek stopped in his speech and fixed his eyes on Noah. He wondered if his new approach was convincing the patriarch and his sons to sell him the scrolls. Noah’s stare seemed to be reading the truth deep with in his own heart, and the stare made Lemek uncomfortable. He glanced at the sons, then back to Noah, wondering who would respond to his homily.

            “I’m glad to know that the stories of my grandfather meant more to you than the prattle of an old man, and I pray that the truth of his reminiscences take root in your heart,” Noah finally said. “But I’m afraid the scrolls will do you no good. Very soon the heavens will open and pour out a flood. Everything�"every man, woman, and child, and every beast of the earth will be swallowed up in the flood. Only those who take refuge in the ark will be safe from the destruction God is bringing upon His creation.”

            “I don’t pretend to understand whether what you describe is possible or not,” Lemek slowly answered, trying to collect this thoughts and respond to what Noah had said. “I will not argue that the world is full of wickedness. My father was murdered some years ago. My oldest son is dead also. My twins were murdered and one of my daughters fell prey to an illness and did not survive.

            “I would like to be saved from the flood in your ark,” Lemek lied. “But I have a wife and daughter at home, and other relatives, who live far away in Benkane City. It is my hope that by reading the memoirs of your grandfather, they will believe and also want to take refuge in the ark.”

Noah paused before answering. “If the memoirs belonged to me, I would be pleased to give them to you.”

            Lemek quickly looked at each of the sons, guessing which possessed the scrolls. Finally, after Noah glanced at his sons, it was Shem who spoke. 

“The scrolls belong to Siphrah,” Shem said. “He worked for my father and he is the one who kept the journal. When Methuselah died, Siphrah asked if he could keep the scrolls and my father gave them to the man. The decision to sell the scrolls belongs to Siphrah.”

            This was an unforeseen snag. Since he knew the scribe worked for the family, he believed he would be dealing with the family and had concentrated his efforts on making a good impression. Now, he had to do business with someone he knew nothing about. He did not know this man Siphrah, or why he had asked for the scrolls, but Lemek surmised that his reason for possessing the memoirs was the same as his own�"money.

            “Does this scribe still live here in this valley?” inquired Lemek. “Do you think he would be willing to sell the memoirs?”

            Shem looked at his father, then turned back to Lemek and answered.

            “No, Siphrah now lives just beyond the valley, near the start of the eastern mountains,” he elucidated. “As to whether he would be willing to sell them or not, we cannot say. He has a large family, but he did not appear to be interested in Methuselah’s stories because they influenced his heart.”

            “That is all we can say,” Noah interjected as his eyes met Shem’s.

            As the afternoon evolved, Lemek continued to converse with Noah and his sons. He tried to pry any additional information he could from Noah’s family about Siphrah. As the evening sun began to recede behind the western mountains, Noah invited Lemek and his men to spend the night.

            “I know you are anxious to go and speak to Siphrah about the memoirs,” Noah stated, as if reading Lemek’s mind. “Join us for dinner tonight and we will ask God to guide you in your search for the scrolls and your quest for truth.”

            That evening, Lemek and his men knelt with Noah and his family as the old patriarch prayed. Although he was not accustomed to praying to the God of heaven, inwardly Lemek hoped the prayer might bring about the desired results of acquiring the scrolls he hoped to possess. Although he did not know what obstacles lay before him, or whether he would be able to acquire the memoirs or not, Lemek slept soundly that night in Noah’s house.

 

#

© 2014 S. R. Morris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on April 18, 2014
Last Updated on April 18, 2014

Author

S. R. Morris
S. R. Morris

Mountain Home, ID



About
I am a semi-retired freelance writer and I divide my time between my kids and grandkids in Idaho, and my wife and daughter in the Philippines. I spent more than a decade as a reporter, editor and publ.. more..

Writing