Linda

Linda

A Story by steve
"

A story of great courage.

"




Linda




Linda looked at the field ahead and had regrets. Her hair had fallen out and she didn't like it one bit. It seemed such a shame that only a few years back she could've been running for Great Briton if it wasn't for that prick who she fancied at the time, telling her that athletics was for losers. What an idiot, she thought, knowing she'd thrown it all away. She still remembered how upset her parents were at the decision she'd made. Now she understood.

Linda had so many regrets that haunted her to this day. What a silly girl she'd been. “I love you mum and dad.” A tear ran from her eye. Mum was now 71 years old and in a care home suffering from dementia. Her father had died three years ago from a heart attack. Linda missed him so much. She would visit her mum as regularly as she could, but it would break her heart if the truth be told. Looking into eyes that didn't recognise her, peering at the lady who'd cared for you ever since you were a child. And a few years back she'd lost her best friend in a car accident.

Her heart was broken in so many ways, and on top of everything else she had cancer. The doctors seemed optimistic that the treatment would help in time, but that wasn't good enough. Her hair had disappeared. Her skin was pale. Her smile had gone months ago since hearing the news which at the time sent a shudder through her. “You must of made a mistake,” she kept saying to the man who sat at his desk. He said nothing, and through the silence she finally knew her days were numbered.

“Please, God. My mum needs me. Please don't take me away from her.”

Her world had crumbled. Ever since that awful day nothing seemed much better but she did her best to smile. Her friends were impressed by her positive attitude, but in truth she was worried by what the coming days would bring. Then on a Sunday afternoon while she sat all alone in a dark living room a knock was heard at the door. Begrudgingly she got up to answer it while cursing under her breath.


............................................................................................................................................................


“Why am I here?” she said to Becky who'd been a good friend at school so many years ago. “Please answer me because this is such a silly idea.”

Becky who had lovely long black hair and the prettiest of eyes peered at Linda, before answering out of breath, “Come on, mate. You need this.” Then she carried on jogging on the spot. “Are you going to join me?”

Linda was getting sick of this now. “If you haven't notice I have no bloody hair, and why do you think that is?”

Linda stopped exercising. She turned to her friend who still sat on the bench looking at her with contempt. “Maybe this was a bad idea,” she said, feeling deflated. She wiped some sweat from her brow. Then sat beside Linda. “I know you've lost your hair I'm not blind. I know what you're going through, because three years ago I went through the same thing.” Becky dabbed her eyes like she was upset.

Linda noticed this with alarm. “What do you mean?” Knowing deep down the question she'd just asked was plainly obvious.

“Cancer,” was all she replied, glancing at the floor with a distant look in her eyes.

Linda put an arm around her, before saying, “That's why you are here, because you heard that I had it, am I right?”

Becky brushed a hand through her hair, then answered unconfidently, “Yes. The moment I heard I had to see you.”

“Thank you,” was all Linda could think of saying. At least her friend had good intentions. “But I need to ask you something. Why are we standing in the middle of a village hall?” She began to laugh not really knowing why. “Because the thought of exercise feels me with utter dread.”

Becky laughed herself. “In a minute or two some people are going to turn up. I should have told you earlier but I didn't know if you would like the idea. So I kept it a secret. Do you mind?”

Linda grew worried. “What do you mean, other people?”

“Just wait and see,” her friend said, concern in her eyes. “I remember when you were the fastest runner at school and all of us were jealous as hell. Such good times.”

Linda thought back to it. They were good times. Now everything had turned s**t. It was so unfair. Then she thought back to winning all them races and how proud her parents were. She still couldn't believe she'd fallen for that idiot which had spoilt everything, but if the truth be told she was the one to blame because she was the one who'd chosen him over running. “I was fast wasn't I,” she said with glee. “Just a shame I fell in with the wrong crowd.”

“Oh, I remember him. What was his name again?” Becky asked, scratching the side of her neck with interest on her face.

Linda was just about to answer when a door closed behind them causing an echo.

“Hello, Becky,” said a distant voice.

Becky got up from the bench, before replying politely, “Come in, Samantha. I've put the heating on.”

“That sounds lovely,” was all the woman said making her way towards them.

Linda peered at the other person noticing what a pale complexion she had. On her head she wore a big thick hat.

Samantha took the hat off while staring with unease at the stranger sitting down. “So who's this?” she asked uncomfortably.

Linda noticed she had a bald head the same as her. “My name's Linda. It's very nice to meet you.”

The woman smiled while placing her hat on a nearby chair. “It's very nice to meet you,” was all she answered.

Becky glanced at her watch. “Where's the rest of them?” she muttered under her breath.

All of a sudden the door opened and another three women made their way in, all wearing big thick hats. “Bloody cold out there,” one remarked. “Especially when you haven't got any bloody hair.” The other two giggled as they got nearer.

For the first time in ages Linda didn't know what to expect. All the women sat down while taking their hats off. They noticed the new woman without saying much.

She could feel their eyes staring at her, but she was lost for words.

“So who are you?” said one of the women staring straight at Linda.

She stayed silent. What the hell?

The bigger of the three got up an angry look on her face. She took a couple of steps before saying in a rather nasty way, “If I haven't got much time left on this Earth I wouldn't spend it with you if you paid me.”

Linda was absolutely shocked. “What did you just say to me?” she screamed at the top of her voice causing the walls to shake. She got up angry as hell and confronted the lady. “You talk to me like that again and I'll knock you down. Do you hear what I'm saying?”

The big lady smiled, before replying, “Now I like you. You've got balls. To beat this disease you need balls. For me to beat this I need people around me with balls.”

“Were you testing me or something?” Linda asked, quite shocked by the whole affair.

The big lady laughed, then replied, “So, who's the new girl, Becky?”

Becky waved her hands in front of her face like she was experiencing a hot flush, before answering calmly, “Yes, it's a good friend of mine. So if you could treat her with a bit of kindness it would be much appreciated, Sharon.”

Sharon came closer to Linda, and said, “I was only playing with you. Sorry if I offended you in anyway, but I can tell you're okay.”

“You're brutal,” was all Linda said, “but you're like me, scared.”

Sharon put her hands up to her face and began to giggle. “I'm nothing like you, I'll beat this because I've always been tough. You're still a youngster to this s**t. Hang around with us and you'll learn.”

Linda disagreed, and replied confidently, “No one should get used to this, because it's a terrible illness which no one deserves. So to be scared is perfectly normal in my eyes.”

The other woman didn't like the sound of that and walked away while muttering something under her breath.

Linda now knew she'd won but it wasn't going to make her friends. Behave, girl, she thought to herself. “I'm sorry,” she said. “I didn't mean to say that.”

Sharon now sat with her mates, but answered, “You'll need to be stronger because no one is going to help you. You're the way I used to be, naive. I'll teach you girl, and both of us together we'll succeed.”

Linda was stuck for words. Tonight was the strangest night ever. Then she noticed something that sent a shudder through her. Oh my God. Julie.

Within seconds two more women walked in while they wore thick coats and fluffy hats. “Hi, ladies,” they said before sitting down.

“Hello, Jackie. You look a treat,” shouted Sharon, obviously making fun of her before bursting into laughter.

Jackie who was a tall woman with the reddest of hair, then replied annoyed, “At least I make an effort. My husband likes it.”

Sharon hit her knee two times while giggling hysterically. “You wouldn't catch me wearing something like that.”

Linda had had enough and said furiously, “Will you just shut up you bloody nasty woman. We're all here for the same reason, so show some bloody respect.” Sorry, Julie.

Sharon was utterly shocked with an embarrassed look on her face. For the rest of the evening she stayed silent.

Around 10 it was time to go home. Sharon and the two women that had accompanied her were the first to leave. Linda was surprised to say she'd enjoyed it. All the women had told their stories. Some sadder than others. But they all shared the same thing, the dreaded cancer. Now Linda didn't feel so alone. At the door she waited for Becky because she was going to give her a lift home. Then a voice said behind her, “Thank you for what you did.”

Linda turned still a little out of her comfort zone. A metre from her stood the lady with the red wig. “That's all right. You don't need to thank me.”

“Trust me it means a lot. Before wearing the wig people would stare at me like I was weird. Do you understand?” she said a bit tearful.

Linda knew what she meant. “Don't worry about it. Keep your head up, promise me that. And I'll see you very soon.”

Jackie smiled, before answering, “If you ever fancy coming round my house I'll pick you up. Here's my number.” She handed Linda a card.

“Thank you that's very kind,” was all she said, putting the card into her coat pocket.

Then the woman made her way through the entrance with a smile on her face.

A moment later Becky appeared carrying a bag. “What a night,” she said. “I'm proud of you. You still have the strength that I remember you having at school.”

Linda was dumbfounded. “Sometimes you say the silliest things,” she remarked. “I have an illness which will probably kill me in the next few months, and I'm petrified beyond belief.”

Becky placed a hand on her friend's shoulder. “I didn't mean about that. For God sake, Linda, you are so hard to speak to at times. What I meant is the way you stood up for Jackie. You haven't lost your edge have you. I'm so proud of you.” She kissed her friend on top of the head.

Linda put a hand to her mouth, before replying, “There is something we need to sort out, I'm not a lesbian. So, no funny business.”

Becky was in hysterics. “You silly cow. Let's get home.”

With that Becky locked the doors and both proceeded towards the car. Then the snow came.


............................................................................................................................................................


On Christmas Eve Becky invited all of them round her house for dinner. Everyone turned up apart from Sharon. Jackie seemed pleased by this while she wore her hair with pride. At the table the group laughed and joked about things in general. It was certainly a good atmosphere that none of them would forget.

Once dessert was finished Samantha burped loudly causing the others to giggle.

“Blimey, love. Are you trying to blow the house down,” said one of the women whose name was Jennifer.

Samantha was a very shy woman who didn't speak that much, but she half smiled, before replying nervously, “I'm so sorry for that.”

Jennifer put her arms around Samantha's frail shoulders. “Don't ever apologise to me, dear friend. We're all here to help each other. And I love you.” She kissed her tenderly on the cheek causing Samantha to go bright red.

“Thank you,” was all Samantha answered while looking about her like she'd done something naughty.

Then the crowd cheered while raising their glasses of cheap white wine. Becky felt so happy for them. Since getting better all she wanted to do was help others, and it was going brilliantly. At that moment she couldn't have been more overjoyed.

Merry Christmas, everyone.


............................................................................................................................................................


Linda knocked on the door, then waited. She could hear some noise from inside the flat, but no one seemed to be answering. After a couple of minutes she knocked again. She heard a bang, then an infant crying. At this point she was becoming very impatient, and not giving it much thought shouted, “I know you're bloody in there, Sharon. Why aren't you answering the door?”

Like magic the door opened.

“Hello again,” was all Linda could think of saying. The other woman looked terrible.

“What the hell do you want?” she replied, anger on her face. Behind her was a little girl crawling about on the carpet. Near the child was many boxes stacked up.

“I wanted to see if you was all right, because you didn't show your face at the Christmas gathering round Becky's house.”

“And what do you care?” she answered abruptly, peering down at the floor.

Linda was getting sick of this now. “You know something, for a little while I actually gave a s**t about you. If this is the way you want to act, then goodbye and good bloody riddance.” She turned her back then proceeded down the corridor heading to the lift.

“I'm sorry,” came a desperate voice from behind her.

Linda then knew she was getting somewhere. She'd had so much experience with people like this she found it quite amusing. She walked back slowly keeping her composure. When finally she stood a metre from the door she let it all out. “Why are you so rude to everyone?” she asked, wanting an answer quick.

It took a little while for the woman to respond. Then she replied while dabbing her eyes with a tissue, “Because I'm scared. I'm absolutely petrified, Linda. You were right all along.”

“Come here you silly cow,” was all Linda said, putting two arms around her. “Remember, we all love you in the group. But promise me something, stop being a b***h. Will you promise me that one thing.”

“I will,” Sharon said tears streaming down her face. “But at this moment I have bigger issues to contend with.”

“Like what?” asked Linda, wanting to help.

It took sometime to get the information out of her, but tomorrow Sharon and her daughter were getting chucked out of their home.

“Stay with me,” Linda said. “And together we can help each other.”

Sharon seemed shocked by this. “But you think I'm a b***h. This is the second time you've ever met me. Why?”

Linda had to laugh. “I was friends with your mum. I could see the resemblance pretty much straight away. And the attitude, I miss brilliant Julie so much.” She gave her a longing look. “Your mum was my best friend for years.”

Sharon put both hands up to her face. “Oh my God. I can't believe it. Is it true?”

Linda thought back to the days when her and Julie would hangout after work. They were both in their twenties and Julie was a single mum with a daughter of about five. It was only after their first meeting which Becky had arranged that Linda realised who the young woman was. “I still can't believe it myself. What a strange coincidence. You're the image of your mother,” Linda said, “and I miss your mum with all my heart.”

The other woman had a tissue in her hand and wiped her eyes, before replying sadly, “The roads can be so dangerous. It's a shame she died. I loved her so much.”

Linda could feel the pain. “Come on, my love. Let's get you packed. Becky's outside, she can give us a lift to where I live. It's not much, but for the time being it's a place to stay.”

Sharon gave her a hug. “Thank you, Linda. This means a lot.”

For the rest of the afternoon they carried the many boxes down to the car, using the lift of course. Once at Linda's house they made their way in. And the first thing Linda did was boil the kettle to make a nice cup of tea.


............................................................................................................................................................


Sharon made her way to the entrance, then she stopped dropping her handbag to the ground. “I can't do this, Linda,” she begged. “I've been horrible to them.”

Linda joined her and put a hand on her shoulder before saying, “I want you to go in there and do what we both agreed with. Your mum had balls. Show me that you've got the same strength, because I know you have.” Peering down all she could see was snow. “Also make your bloody mind up quick because it's perishing out here.”

Sharon laughed while putting a hand to her mouth. “You're right it's bloody freezing. Come on, let's do it.”

“I'm proud of you,” was all that Linda answered. Both proceeded into the village hall.

The first thing they saw was Becky jogging on the spot, her back to them. For some odd reason she did this before every meeting.

“Where's everyone else?” Linda shouted across the room while it echoed.

Becky glanced round out of breath. “God, you startled me.”

Linda giggled before replying, “Call me God if you like. Where's everyone else?”

Becky wiped the sweat from her brow. “Well the snow I should imagine has held them up. They should be here shortly.”

Linda took Sharon's hand and they sat down while waiting patiently for all the others to show their face. After ten minutes Linda became agitated. “Where are they, Becky?”

“I don't know, sweetheart. But renting this room isn't cheap,” she answered. “I hope they can make it.” On a table nearby stood a kettle and a few cups. “Fancy a cup of tea or coffee?” Becky asked. “Because being here for the last hour I'm bleeding thirsty.”

“That would be lovely,” the two women answered.

All of a sudden the door opened and three walked in wearing their winter gear. Seven minutes after that the rest arrived with annoyance on their faces.

“Hi, ladies,” said Linda. “What was the hold up?”

“The bloody weather,” replied a couple.

Like magic Becky appeared with a tray of steaming cups, while saying, “Here's a lovely hot drink for everyone, as I think the majority of you will appreciate this. Am I right?”

“Thanks, Becky,” they all replied.

Once all the women were seated, Becky stood up. “So, who wants to speak first. Maybe something has happened in the last week which has worried you. Well, the best thing to do is get it off your chest.”

Linda grabbed Sharon's hand. Whispering in her ear, she said, “It's time to be honest with yourself. Tell them how you truly feel.”

At first Sharon looked uncomfortable. Then she got up from the chair while brushing a hand through her hair. “I need to come clean about a few things.”

Jackie gave her a nasty stare, expecting the worst. She liked her new hair and no one was going to tell her differently.

Becky could feel the discomfort. “Carry on, Sharon. Remember everyone here is your friend, so don't be scared. This is why I created this group in the first place.”

Sharon started to shake through fear. She bent down and putting her hand in her bag grabbed hold of a certain item. Why make me do this, Linda, she thought, hating every second. Standing up she peered over at Jackie, and said, “For a little while I was jealous of you. Now I realise it was all my fault. And because I want to be more like you, I went shopping today. Guess what I got?”

Jackie didn't seem happy. “Is this some sort of sick joke. What are you talking about you nasty woman.”

Without thinking Sharon put the thing on her head. All the women cackled apart from Jackie who seemed horrified by this.

At first the words wouldn't come out, she became frustrated. All she could hear was laughing. She felt dizzy. Then she muttered, “I have cancer and I've never been so petrified in my entire life.” Suddenly there was silence. Everyone stared at her in utter shock. Sharon decided to carry on. “My mum who I adored died in a car accident seven years ago. Ever since that day I've become a bully. And yes, Jackie. I'm ashamed. And ever since getting this horrible disease I have felt so helpless.” She glanced down at Linda with a smile on her face. “Until I met Linda.” Tears streamed down her cheeks. “She is the best thing to happen to me in a very long time.”

Linda felt emotional. “And same here, mate.”

All the women applauded. Jackie got up from her seat and kissed Sharon on the cheek. “I'm so proud of you. To beat this illness you need strength. You won't find it in a pub. You won't seek it in a night club, but here with people that love you, you'll beat it.”

Sharon felt so guilty, but a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. “Thank you for saying that.”

Jackie smiled at her, before replying, “I always knew you had a kind heart. Bless you, child.”

For the rest of the night they all had a great time. Jackie wore her wig with pride. Jokes were told and laughter filled the room. At 10pm it was time to go home. Outside the snow came down hard.

Linda said her farewells, then turned to her new best mate, “Let's head home shall we?”

The other woman liked that idea immensely. “Let's. How long will the taxi be?”

“Not too long hopefully,” replied Linda. Bloody hurry up, she kept thinking, it was absolutely freezing out here.

Coming down the road two headlights were observed heading towards them.

Linda was relieved. “At long last,” she said.

Once the vehicle had stopped a metre from them, both got in.

“Where are you heading?” asked a man in his fifties.

Sharon turned to Linda with a big grin on her face. “Rillington road,” was all she answered.

And with this they slowly made the journey home.


The End

© 2015 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a very inspiring story of courage. You don't have to write horror to write well. But I'm not sture about the title. Julie is not the focal point, unless you changed the writing to make her story and Linda's more important.

I know you did the illustration; it's lovely.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Marie. Bless you xx



Reviews

This is a very inspiring story of courage. You don't have to write horror to write well. But I'm not sture about the title. Julie is not the focal point, unless you changed the writing to make her story and Linda's more important.

I know you did the illustration; it's lovely.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

steve

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Marie. Bless you xx

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
1 Review
Added on January 15, 2015
Last Updated on January 21, 2015
Tags: Cancer, group, women, Linda, Sharon, Becky, courage, humour

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve