Traitor

Traitor

A Story by steve
"

A man meets the ideal partner, or so he thinks.

"
Traitor

The man had fallen off the stage with a bang, crying out in pain others rushed to his aid. Looking up, he held his leg, discomfort expressed on his face.
"Are you okay?" asked a young woman, placing a hand on his shoulder.
"Not really," he replied, the pain in his ankle was unbearable.
A couple grabbed each arm lifting him to a chair. Once sat down, he peered at the woman who'd been so caring. "Thank you," he said.
She smiled, before replying, "It's a nasty fall you've had. After class I'll drive you home, David. If that's okay?"
"Okay. Thanks again, Verity.". He'd only known her for a month and a half, like everyone else here. Every Tuesday they'd meet at the local village hall to learn drama, reenacting plays from years ago. He enjoyed it, since getting divorced sitting at home every night wasn't much fun.
The man in charge crouched down so he was the same height as David. "Probably best you stay here for the remainder of the class. Best to rest your leg I reckon. Are you okay with that?"
David agreed by nodding his head.
For the next hour the group play acted on the stage, David watched them gutted he wasn't joining in. Every so often Verity would glance his way, looking worried.
Heading to the entrance, limping a little because of the pain, Verity joined him. "Thanks again, it's nice when people care," he said, noticing for the first time how pretty she was. Lately he'd been under such a dark cloud because of the divorce, his wife had been having an affair for ages, it was a complete mess.
"That's okay, David. I've always liked you. Would you like me to drive you home? Saves you walking, with your leg the way it is. Do you mind?"
Relief ran through him, the thought of making the journey back with his ankle hurting like hell didn't feel him with much joy. "That would be lovely," he replied.
Both made their way out of the building, heading in the direction of her car which was parked some distance away. "Wait here," she said. "I'll only be a minute."
It was a little chilly, brown leaves covered the ground. Winter was looming.
He stood watching her with interest as she got into the car, starting the engine. She stopped a metre from him. David opened the passenger door and with a little trouble made his way in. Once sat down he turned to her. "I can't thank you enough."
Verity gave him a smile, before replying, "All my pleasure. Now let's get on before the weather turns bad."
David laughed, seeing the funny side, "I think we should be okay, a little rain maybe? Apart from that we should get home safely."
She punched him softly in the shoulder. "Okay, maybe I was going a bit over the top. I hate this time of year, it's so gloomy."
"Yes I know. A rubbish time of year, but at least it's Christmas soon."
She clapped her hands together, before saying, "Yes, I adore Christmas. The best time ever, wouldn't you agree?"
He looked at her, sadness on his face. "Since my breakup I can't think of anything worse than that time of year."
She rubbed his shoulder, before saying, "Yes I can imagine. Sorry for not understanding. I should've realised."
"That's okay. You wouldn't of known," he replied.
"Let's get you home."
The car moved swiftly to the entrance of the car park, before turning left. The clouds overhead looked dark and menacing like a storm was brewing. No bad weather had been forecast, so hopefully they should make the trip without any hassle.
Posh houses with their spacious gardens either side of the road, caused David to ponder yet again on the breakup. "We were so happy, or that's what I thought. Such a shame really."
Keeping her eyes ahead, answered, "Have you been with anyone since the split?"
He didn't answer, seeming miles away.
Verity decided to leave it at that, as she didn't want to upset him further.
She pulled up in front of the place he was renting.
David pushed the door open, glancing back he gave her a friendly smile, before saying, "Thanks, Verity."
Instinctively she kissed him, which surprised David very much. He pulled away from her not knowing what to think.
Realising what she'd done, she put a hand to her mouth, then replied, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do that, I really didn't."
He peered at her, the attraction was strong. He pressed his lips against hers, it felt nice. After a minute he asked her if she'd like to join him inside.
"Are you ready?" she asked, not wanting to do anything they'd both regret tomorrow.
He smiled, before answering, "I would love you to come in, also I need help as my ankle is bloody killing me."
They laughed.
In the hallway both kissed some more. Then they made their way up the stairs.

.............................................................................

Verity awoke seeing David beside her in the bed, last night had been wonderful, a night she'd never forget. Instantly his eyes opened, staring at her with a grin on his face. "Morning," he said, running a hand through her dark hair.
She giggled, before replying, "Morning, David. Any regrets?"
"No regrets."
Looking at the little clock on the cabinet, it was early. The curtains were drawn, it was still dark outside.
"I've got work in the morning, what about you?" Verity asked.
David knew it was going to be an early start for him also, and sighed. "Yes. It pays the bills. I suppose we better try and get some sleep. If not, we'll notice it tomorrow."
She pecked him on the forehead. "Goodnight and sweet dreams, David."
"See you nice and early, Verity. Goodnight," he answered.
Within minutes both were sound asleep.

.............................................................................

For the next week they went out near enough every night, posh restaurants, the cinema a couple of times, David was happier than he'd felt for a long time. This made him a little nervous though, what if Verity gets bored with him in time, to have his heart broken again would literally destroy him, maybe he was just being silly?
After some weeks his ex-wife turned up unannounced at the front door. For a short while they sat in silence. He peered at her across the living room not knowing what to expect. "What do you want, Karen?" he asked, not needing any trouble.
She seemed agitated, before replying nervously, "I think leaving you was a mistake. The man I was with has let me down. I'm not here expecting you to forgive me, but just think about what we had. I'll leave now, but if you want to talk, here's my card."
He felt dumbfounded, as he stared at her. After a few seconds, he said, "I've met someone. Her name is Verity."
Getting up from the chair, an uncomfortable expression on her thirty something face, she made her way to the entrance. At the door Karen turned to him still sat down, then said, "I'm so happy for you, David."
Then she left, leaving David to ponder on what had just happened.

............................................................................

An hour later Verity turned up looking far from happy, complaining someone at work had upset her. David wasn't in the mood after what had just happened, and without meaning to told her to shut up. All of a sudden she picked up his mobile phone and threw it at him while shouting, "I thought you liked me, are you bored with me now?"
David sat down completely confused by what had just occurred. He couldn't look at her, for a moment he saw his ex-wife in Verity, this broke his heart. "Why did you do that?"
Verity sat down herself, very upset. "I'm so sorry, David. That was an awful thing to do."
David ignored her, this was the first time he'd seen this side, and it scared him very much.
"I have a confession, David. Please don't hate me," she said, scratching the side of her face. "I got here about twenty minutes ago and saw a car parked in front of your flat. So I decided to see what was going on, maybe you're growing tired of my company, well I don't know do I? Then I saw a woman come out of your place. Who the hell was she, David?"
David rubbed his forehead, peering up at her he felt like he needed to explain himself. "It was my ex-wife. I don't even understand why she was here. So you have nothing to worry about, Verity. I promise you, you have nothing to worry about. Do you believe me?"
She seemed relieved. "So what the hell did she want, because I've been in this scenario before?"
He was slightly taken aback by that, and said a little pathetically, "For some bizarre reason she has gone off the idiot she was having an affair with, and in her screwed up brain she wants to get back with me. I know it's ridiculous."
Verity screamed, utterly furious.
David was getting sick of this now, he didn't need the s**t. "If you can't be mature about this, maybe you should go."
The door slammed as she left.
David began to cry.

.............................................................................

He called her, she answered immediately. "I'm so sorry, David. Please forgive me. I feel so ashamed."
He missed her so much, she was the only woman of late who'd treated him with any respect. "Please come back. I want you here with me, because I think I'm falling in love with you." Crying was heard, this made David feel emotional as well. "Please come back, dear Verity. Please."
"Okay, I will," was all she answered.

.............................................................................

Once they'd made up everything was good, his ex-wife stayed away which was a blessing. In time Verity moved in, David couldn't of been happier. Life was perfect.

.............................................................................

A few months had passed. David began noticing changes in Verity which alarmed him, her compulsive behaviour, acting a little paranoid thinking someone was after her. On many occasions he tried confronting her about this, but every time she'd accuse him of being paranoid himself. He thought long and hard about ending the relationship, but he'd fallen for her big style. It wasn't like Verity was seeing someone else behind his back, David forgave her time and time again, deep down he was in turmoil.

.............................................................................

She was in the bedroom tidying up when his mobile vibrated in his trouser pocket. "Who's there?" he asked, not recognising the number.
"It's me, David. I need to meet you," said Karen. "It's important."
What the hell did she want?
He needed to keep his voice low so Verity wouldn't grow suspicious. "I told you I wasn't interested. What part of that don't you understand?"
She seemed agitated. "This will be the last time, I promise. It's important."
He just didn't need the hassle, but agreed to meet her the next day at a cafe not too far from here. Being a Sunday there wouldn't be too many people about, so this was perfect.

.............................................................................

He'd told Verity he was heading out for a little while, she didn't seem too happy, but he needed to get Karen off his back for good. He got in the motor, starting the engine. It roared beautifully. About ten minutes later he parked the car at the side of the busy road, then headed to the cafe which was a four minute walk. Through the window he saw Karen sitting at one of the tables. Heading into the building he pondered on what this was all about. Hopefully she wasn't here demanding more money, if that was the case he'd be straight out of there in a flash. David proceeded to the table, sitting down opposite her. Peering up noticed a slight smile on her face.
"What do you want?" he asked abruptly.
She looked at him, the smile had vanished. "I love you, David. I always have. I wish things were different between us. I mean this, David. Please give me another chance."
Deep down he still loved her, but the betrayal David could never forgive, so he told her the truth. "I'd be lying if I pretended not to have any feelings for you, but what you did to me hurt me more than you'll ever know."
She ran a hand through her hair, before replying, "I will make it up to you, David. Please just give me another chance."
He got up from the chair slamming the table with his hands, then shouted, "I've met someone, Karen. For god sake what do you expect. You left me high and dry, I was broken when you left me for that idiot. Now you expect me to come crawling back like some sad animal to its owner."
Her face in her hands, she said, "Yes you're right. I've been terrible to you. Sorry. I'll see you again soon. Take care, David. I really mean that."
She kissed him on the cheek softly before leaving the cafe, embarrassment covering her face.
Across the road from the cafe a woman hid while keeping a watchful eye on the two, anger was felt. Men, all the same, pigs.

.............................................................................

He ordered a coffee. To keep Verity sweet he'll buy her some expensive flowers, telling her a little white lie to why he had to go out earlier. Once finished David walked to the entrance, realising there was no place like home.

.............................................................................

Watching TV she heard a knock at the entrance. Who could that be?
Verity made her way to the door, opening it she was confronted by a woman of a similar age, recognising her instantly. "Hello, how can I help you?" she asked politely.
The lady shuffled uncomfortably, before saying, "Where's David?"
Verity didn't want to be rude, and replied in a friendly manner, "He's in the bedroom. Follow me. By the way is he expecting you, as he didn't say anything earlier about anyone popping round, by the way what's your name?"
The lady stopped in the hallway turning to Verity, before saying, "It's Karen."
"Very nice to meet you, Karen. The bedrooms just down here on the left. He'll be happy to see you, he seems to be in a good mood today, so you've picked a good day to visit."
Pointing to the door at the end, Karen asked just to be sure, "Is it that one?"
"Yes," Verity answered. "Do you fancy a cup of tea?"
" Thank you. That would be lovely," Karen said. Proceeding ahead she knocked on the door calling David's name. No one answered.
Verity laughed. "He's probably listening to music on his earphones. Just go in, should be fine."
Karen didn't know what to think, but doing as she was told, got hold of the handle. She then panicked. What if he didn't want to see her, and this had all been a waste of time, finally she pushed the door open. The stench was the first thing to hit her, a hand to her mouth she gagged repeatedly. With sheer horror she saw his body on top of the thick quilt. The word traitor carved into his chest. His manhood sat on the cabinet beside the bed with a rose sticking out of the end. Behind her Verity stood holding a hot cup of tea in one hand, and a kitchen knife in the other. "I forgot to ask, but do you take sugar with that?"

The End



















© 2018 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

303 Views
Added on August 16, 2018
Last Updated on August 16, 2018
Tags: Man, woman, David, Verity, knife, divorce

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve