Young Mind, Old Body

Young Mind, Old Body

A Story by KAREN
"

Too young to be old!(For the world of 500, In the darkness)

"

     I roll my wheel chair to the front door, hoping to go out and hide myself in the darkness of the night.  I don't want to be bothered, or anybody to talk to me.  It has been one of those days where the pain in my bones has been difficult to live with.  The door squeaks as I open it, I hold my breath, hoping nobody hears it.

     "Jerome, where are you going?" My mother ask.

      I hold up a trembling hand.  I grimace in pain as I take my mother's hand.  "On the screened in porch like I do every night."

     "Turn on the light this time so you can see."

     "No! I yell, not meaning too.  "Someone might see me," I say. My mother opens the door for me.  "I know you don't understand, but please just let me have it my way."

     My mother looks as if she wants to aruge, but she dosen't, she she kisses me on the cheek and leaves.

     I wheel my chair into the far corner.  I haven't always been in a wheel chair.  I think it was around the young age of three that I was introduced to my way of getting around.  I'm 13, trapped inside an old man's body, I have Progeria Syndrome.  My voice is high-pitched, wrinkles cover my skin, and my hair is coming out, and what little I have is already gray.

     I sat in the darkness night after night because I will not subject myself to hurtful name calling or people using me as something to stop by and  sight see over.  I'm sure my time is nearing, my chest tells me my heart is failing.  I will not worry my mother, if I die tonight it will be better for me and her.  My mother has stuck by me through three hip dislocations and now I have cardiovascular disease.  I feel smothered by her care, but I love her and I know she means well.

     I love being out here at night, so I can smell the fresh air, and pretend I'm normal.  Out here in the night I can't see me and neither can anybody else.  I often wonder what's going on in the woods across the street.  Maybe there's a worm dangling from a fishing line waiting to catch a fish.  Maybe there's a tent set up for two love birds, nestled together inside a sleeping bag making love.  I realize I'm breathing hard, and my penis is like a rock.  Yeah, I think about sex, but that's all I can do.

     I listen to the kids playing in their back yards, I smile when they complain about having to go inside.  Dogs barking, cars passing by, lightning bugs giving off flashes of light, I hear and watch it all from the shadows of my own domain.  I hear something else, it's me gasping for air.  I close my eyes to rest them, but my heart has other plans.

     "Jerome, time to come in." His mother leans over him.  She screams as she realizes he is gone.  She takes his lifeless body into her arms and holds him tight, and she cries in the darkness.

© 2011 KAREN


Author's Note

KAREN
Tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Excellent job..!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Not great flow. He was just summarizing his life. Next time, add specific memories, with all the little trivialities of a real person's point of view. Bring in more of the longing for what he cannot have, that part was very good.

The way he thinks about dying in the night is half poetically prophetic and half give-away, so be careful with that.

And now for the good news. You did an excellent job naming your characters, that is a very much little-thought of part of any story. "Jerome" immediately characterized the individual for me, good job. Plus, this real-life disease
immediately pulled at my curiosity and I looked it up online, learning that many of your details were true to the disease. Verrrrry interesting. Nice job. I did like the emotions.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I had trouble reading this. It just didn't seem to flow well for me. Too much information and not enough space to share it. The idea was very good. I really like that. But for me the writing seemed too quick and slightly dull. I'm not trying to be mean here, just how I felt about it. I would very much like to see you expand this with more detail and back story. Really cool idea. Just didn't seem to capture it to its full potential.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Love the sense how captured viewpoint. AWESOME work:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very well written ..and very tear jerking. You have the readers right away wanting ot know about Jerome ..and you keep them begging for more till the end. Excellent!

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
what a sad ending to this "she takes his lifeless body into her arms and holds him tight, and she cries into the darkness" - you painted the darkest of emotions here - a sad and poignant write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Amazing!!! Great work!! 100/100!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is just incredible! You have such fantastic skills, I'm in awe!

Posted 12 Years Ago


wow!~ I'm speechless!~ wow!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like how you wrote the story. Even the sickest of people want to feel energy and the emotions of life. I like how you told the story. I felt no pity. Just a longing for things that were so far away. I like how you ended the story. Sometime death is peace for the people born into suffering. A excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

676 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 15, 2011
Last Updated on June 15, 2011
Tags: Young, Old, Mom, Ugly, Darkness

Author

KAREN
KAREN

Harrisville, MS



About
I love to write and cook! Me and my sister will soon be the author of a children's book titled Feelings Feelings Feelings, and a cookbook in the near future titled Two Heads In The Kitchen. I e.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Supernova Supernova

A Poem by Robin