Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Sarah
"

By Ian

"

Bragg walked about in the deck of The Blood-Traitor.  He’d gotten little sleep the previous night and not just because of the storm.  His mind was still in turmoil about Jason having a guide to the Edge.  Who could possibly know the way to the most forbidden, dangerous and legendary realm on Earth?  He was caught up in his thoughts when someone spoke behind him.

“Cap’n?”

Bragg turned around and saw that Burleson, the ships surgeon was standing behind him, “Mister Burleson? Have ye somethin’ to say?”

Burleson shifted uneasily from foot to foot, “I just wanted to convey my apologies, sir.”

Bragg raised an eyebrow, “Apologies for what?”

Burleson cleared his throat, “Starks, sir.” He muttered, “ ‘Twas my fault he died, sir.”

Bragg walked up to his shipmate and clapped him on the shoulders, “Burleson, you are a very well trained pirate.  Ye be the only soul aboard this ship that can stitch up a cut as long as an arm in a minute.  You recall the time when the Breaker was still complete and we’d just come out of a maelstrom and I had a cut along me calf?  Sir, you stitched me up in seconds and had me fit to sail in no time at all!” Bragg looked into the eyes of the 18-year-old surgeon, “Burleson, the simple fact is, is that not all wounds heal and some people just aren’t meant to be saved.  You did what you could, mate, there be no shame in that.”

Burleson smiled, “Thank ye, Cap’n.”

Bragg returned the smiled, “To your station then, Mister Burleson.  I believe one of the masts needs attending to.”

“Aye, aye, Sir.” Burleson turned to see about the mast.

“Capʼn!” Bradley’s voice yelled.

Bragg ran up the stairs to his first mate.

“What is it?” he asked.

“A man over board!”

Bragg looked over the side and saw a boy about the age of about 13 was floating on a barrel.

“Someone get this boy out of the water!”

One of the gunners dove in the water, a rope was tossed to him and he tied it around the boy securely.

“He’s ready Cap’n!” the gunner called up.

“HEAVE!! HO!!” Bragg shouted as the crew tugged on the other end of the rope and the boy came splashing out of the water and onto the deck.  The gunner came up a little while after.

“Thank you, Mr. Smith.” Bragg said, “Extra ration of rum to you tonight.”

“Thank ye, Cap’n!” Smith said smiling.

When the boy was untied Bragg looked him over and found what looked like an arrow pointing north with an S, it was then that he realized that it was burned into his skin.

“Sacripant.” Bragg whispered urgently. “Bradley get the row boats and go to Skyler and Anna and tell her that I need them and it’s urgent! I think I just figured something out! QUICK!”

“Aye, Cap’n!” Bradley said and turned to leave.

“Wait!” Bragg shouted, “Tell Skyler to bring Jason.”

 

...................................

 

When Skyler and Anna got there Bragg took her aside.

“I know where Jason got his map to the Edge.”

“So do I.” Skyler said.

Anna looked at the two Captains, “Well I don’t.”

“Sacripant.”  Skyler and Bragg said at the same time.

Anna gasped, “Not him, not again.”

Bragg nodded, “My thoughts exactly.”

Bragg walked up to Jason “Is he your guide to the edge!”  Bragg pointed to the boy that was just fished out of the sea, who was now conscious.

“Perhaps.” Jason replied with a sly grin.

“YOU DEVIL, IS HE YOUR GUIDE!!!” Bragg drew his sword and put it to Jason’s neck.

Silence.

Bragg was infuriated; beads of blood appeared on Jason’s neck as Bragg pushed his sword down.

“And if he is what will you do to me?”  Jason asked.

“Be bloody generous and keep you alive you devil.” Bragg hissed

“He is.” Jason said.

The boy was awake, scared, and oblivious of what was happening or where he was.

Bragg shoved Jason against the wall and turned on the boy.

“Where is the map that you were given?” Bragg shouted.

The boy was silent.



© 2011 Sarah


Author's Note

Sarah
ignore grammar

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
Added on June 16, 2011
Last Updated on June 16, 2011
Tags: pirates, treasure, ship, adventure, swords, chapter 11


Author

Sarah
Sarah

Franklin, TN



About
"One's ideas must be as broad as Nature if they are to interpret Nature." Sherlock Holmes, in "A Study in Scarlet" I'm a reader, writer, movie maker and creator. If I could be anything in the wor.. more..

Writing
My Friend My Friend

A Poem by Sarah