Why I Read

Why I Read

A Story by stubbornpen
"

A short essay about why I read. Originally I did this as an exercise in a creative writing class detailing why I write. Then a professor of mine asked her class "Why do you read?" And I suddenly realized I didn't know.

"

"Why I Read"

I read for the same reason my dog wants her belly rubbed, because it feels good.
 
I read to forget.
 
I read to remember.
 
I read to be lied to.
 
I read so that someone, even if they aren't real, will tell me the truth. A made up person is more likely to tell you the truth because he has nothing to lose.
 
I read because I have something to lose and I'm trying to prevent it being lost.
 
I read because I've lost things already. And sometimes when I'm reading I find them. And sometimes I understand why they are gone.
           
I read to have that moment of stuffing reality under a pillow.
 
I read so that reality doesn't seem so bad.
 
I read to remind myself that, sometimes, reality is worse.
 
I read to learn to be brave. So that when reality is worse, I can stand up to it. And if I'm still too weak I can use my tower of books to prop myself up.
 
I read to know cowardice. Because if I don't know myself as a coward I cannot know myself as a warrior.
 
I read to be ready.
 
I read to know myself. And then, when I'm sick of myself—
 
I read to know other people.
 
I read because I want to write and you cannot have one without the other.
 
I read to get the jokes.
 
I read to learn.
 
I read to stop the constant think, think, think that often makes me dizzy.
 
I read so that I have something to think, think, think about.
 
I read because I would like to find my own Tao and I think Winnie the Pooh had it right.
 
I read because I am slightly masochistic and there are few things more painful than a well-written book.
 
I read because I am selfish.
 
I read because I care.
 
I read because maybe the characters I care about will make it this time.
 
I read to know.
 
I read because I don't know anything.
 
I read because J.K. Rowling is wiser than I am. So was Winnie the Pooh.
 
I read so that I don't have to worry so much about life.
 
I read to live.  
 

© 2009 stubbornpen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. Just wow. For being something so unusually simple, it was so wonderfully written and had so much depth to it. You are very talented with words. A lot of these made me sit there and go "hmmm... good point," and right off the bat your very first one had me hooked. Usually I just skim pieces to see if they're worth reading if the first sentence doesn't grab me in right away, but your definitely attacks and conquers. Really this was wonderful and it makes the writer look very brilliant and open minded. Kudos on this for sure!

-Princess

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow. Just wow. For being something so unusually simple, it was so wonderfully written and had so much depth to it. You are very talented with words. A lot of these made me sit there and go "hmmm... good point," and right off the bat your very first one had me hooked. Usually I just skim pieces to see if they're worth reading if the first sentence doesn't grab me in right away, but your definitely attacks and conquers. Really this was wonderful and it makes the writer look very brilliant and open minded. Kudos on this for sure!

-Princess

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Fortunately you "writes a bit" too. Thank you for this Emily. You ROCK!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really, really like this. Its simplicity actually brings out the complexity of the narrator (you, if it represents you). I love its poetic feel, the repetition and how we get to know you through simple lines and a seemingly simple topic. I love your references...especially "I read because I would like to find my own Tao and I think Winnie the Pooh had it right" that made me smile
keep up the good work :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love it, I usually dont dig things that start off with the same phrase- but you make so much sense, in a very precise true way that it works regardless. Dope.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Why do I read..
I need to read to know more for I know nothing..
I read to forget my troubles and sorrow..for it gives me strength like i never thought I had..
I read cause I want to see how the others all over the ages,how they lived..cause I cant manage living
I have seen all over the ages some wonderful souls that stated so weak only to end up to be leaders and were crowned to be kings
I ve read of love and beauty that wanted to change the face of the earth since all over the ages hatred and intolerance was there
I ve read some nations who grew so strong only to take over the weak..I ve read of strange minds who told me the rules how to walk my life
I ve read of so much wrongs and rights being given and taken by the strong ..him only to decide which is right even if so wrong it was
I ve read of so many beautiful lives in a world so ill and diseased that respects nothing,read of days which were much nicer than these were are living
Thats why I read to compare..where life was still honest and worth living,but now everything is so shameful that its just right to leave and say goodbye
This is no decent living..your writing is so wonderful ..it gave me thoughts and thoughts..never ending..
lovely write..

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Why do I read..I tell you something,what if I never read anything,I know I would miss what I am now,I like it how I am now..I know I ve been to different strange worlds
not meaning the world in stories ,no,but it makes my mind live like in another world,another times,I feel like I am in all times and all places,I feel so different
Once ,i ran into troubles ,like I always do all my life,few years ago..so I took to reading for months on end ,day and night
about 19 hours of every day..every night till the early hours of morning..after that It came to me ,I swear.. It was like a vision I came to see
I felt so light in body and soul,I felt so high ..troubles seemed so far away..I had happiness like never before..
everything and everyone seemed so small to me,I felt so big,I was not arrogant ,no,I felt lots of love..
For when you feel that you almost knew everything..its like you are just a soul..I walk the grounds and feet not touching
i hear voices ,they talk to me,simple people,but their voices seems like so faint ,like coming from so far away
I hardly even feel them..these are the worlds I came to see ,its like not on this earth..thats why I read..To dream
lovely write..

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WOW.. I love this i think we can all relate to this. it feels like a large layout of the pholosphy that readers and writers belive in and how we live and think! I amd so glad you sent me this you have brightened my day!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

When I was younger, I read for adventure. I read to find worlds outside my own, realities outside my own, experiences outside my own (that then seemed like I would never know any other experiences). As I grew, I read to learn, I read to escape, I read to lose myself once in awhile, and to find myself again. There is such truth to this piece and I have to agree with Emily here. This is a piece everyone should read.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

When I was young I read to hide myself away. Since then, I've read to find myself again. This is absolutely brilliant. Something everyone in the cafe should read.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I read to escape. I have to agree Winnie the Pooh was right!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

514 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 31, 2009
Last Updated on July 31, 2009

Author

stubbornpen
stubbornpen

About
I'm just another writer. There's so many out there it's hard for me to believe that I'm something new and original. I go to college. I have a job. I have a pen. I have friends. And sometimes I have fa.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Hills Hills

A Poem by Emily B