Starting With Jazz

Starting With Jazz

A Screenplay by Mikayla
"

Roman & Louie.

"
EXT. AQUATICOMB RECORDS/BACK ALLEY - MORNING

An array of graffiti adorns the cement wall behind them. A dirty, plastic awning is hanging off the side of the building to provide some shade, but due to the overcast, it’s not needed.
Louie and Roman are leaning against the wall, smoking.

LOUIE
What the f**k is up with this weather? It’s August and we have this f*****g overcast.

ROMAN
I have no clue.

LOUIE
What. The. F**k.

They both stare up at the sky in wonder.

LOUIE (CONT’D)
You know what I always thought was useless?

ROMAN
What?

LOUIE
A pumpkin. I think Cinderella threw me off. Like I thought pumpkins were supposed to be f*****g magic, you know? “Have a bippity-boppity-f*****g-boo, will travel?” And I held them to that. But without god-moms, those f*****g orange veggies s**t out this rotten aroma and it depresses me. Useless.

ROMAN
Well, you can make them have scary faces.

LOUIE
I can do that to people by calling them shitheads.

Roman laughs, and takes a drag of his cigarette.

LOUIE (CONT’D)
So what’s with this whole Lucy thing?

ROMAN
Things get around fast, huh?

LOUIE
Come on, Roman. You know this place.

ROMAN
It’s not a thing, really. It’s just been on my mind.

LOUIE
Spill.

ROMAN
OK, I’ve been working here since I was eighteen. And it’s the s**t.

LOUIE
It’s the f*****g s**t.

ROMAN
It is the f*****g s**t. And when I was nineteen, I got that job at Capitol Records. Thought the world was mine. Then, they dropped me last minute.

LOUIE
I remember.

ROMAN
They replaced me, and I invested everything in that management job. So I come crawling back here. And I’ve been this way for seven years now.

LOUIE
How does Lucy tie into this?

ROMAN
I’ve been thinking about what I missed in the last seven years. I missed going to school. Lucy is getting a higher education. Cap and gown. She wants me to do what she does since she’s doing something productive with her life and all that.

LOUIE
‘All that’ is f*****g bull. Who needs school, Roman? School is like the pumpkin. It seems fun on the outside. Yeah, it turned into a f*****g horse and carriage with a fairy f*****g godmother’s wand. But by midnight, it’s all going to turn back into that rotting pile of s**t and masturbation. But Aquaticomb? This is always going to be awesome. Appreciate what you have. One day, it’s all going to go away and you’re going to wonder “what the f**k?”

ROMAN
What the f**k.

LOUIE
What. The. F**k.

They both look at the sky again, still cloud cover.

ROMAN
This weather pisses me the f**k off.

LOUIE
F**k yeah.

© 2010 Mikayla


Author's Note

Mikayla
Is the excessive use of "fuck" effective to the light-heartedness of the scene?

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
Added on March 8, 2010
Last Updated on March 8, 2010

Author

Mikayla
Mikayla

Los Angeles, CA



About
An inexplicably irreplaceable member of the Bohemian revolution that surfaced around the Montmartre in the mid-1800s. In Paris, 1848, she painted pictures of drunken musicians, wrote about them in her.. more..

Writing
Roots Roots

A Story by Mikayla