Glass Case

Glass Case

A Story by Devyn Summers

Indifference has surrounded me in a glass case. No one can enter, and I am unable to exit. I can’t explain the vacancy that consumes my very being, but it’s always there. Haunting, lurking in the shadows. The glass that confines me is unbreakable. The vitreous wall lets me peer out into the world without being hurt by it, but there are consequences of my isolation. I’m unable to feel what others feel and often times am unable to even understand their emotions. And while I’d like to, I just don’t care to. My solitude has trapped me for so long I can’t remember a time when it hasn’t been this way. I pace my glass cell and the people on the outside circle it, calling in, but I can’t quite hear them. Their voices are muffled by the glass, and yet they still scream louder. I cover my ears to tune them out. The voices. I can’t tell who it is that they belong to, but as I stand idle in my cell I start to recognize them as my own. I open my eyes, which I didn’t realize were closed. Outside the glass case I see... myself. I approach with little caution, knowing my prison will protect me. As I come closer I start to disappear on the other side of the glass wall. I am alone again. Indifference has surrounded me in a glass case. And I don’t care enough to leave.

© 2015 Devyn Summers


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on February 13, 2015
Last Updated on February 13, 2015
Tags: indifference, metaphor

Author

Devyn Summers
Devyn Summers

About
Im a high school student who is just getting into writing on a daily basis and would love some feedback on my poems and short stories. more..

Writing
The End The End

A Story by Devyn Summers