Set us free

Set us free

A Story by Divya Parwani


'I am me. I'm unlike the rest,a true being to self and others. No veil to cover my true self.'
This is a illiberal society where you are judged. If you do it your way,you're wrong. If you do it their way ,you are in demand. If you follow the trend you are updated and if you carry yourself with whatever you are comfortable with,you are undesirable. The people ask you to be yourself and at the same time one is expected to ordinary things and act 'normal'. And normal here is referred as what society thinks is normal. And that's the root cause which makes people double faced and untrue.
Being a woman,the protocol is exponentially high as compared to men.
I live in a world where a girl talking about periods, talking about sex,talking about a similar content is considered moral-less,where a girl has to maintain her and her families dignity by carrying herself gracefully and maintain the protocol and following social norms like being humble and soft spoken,where a girl with many friends ,of opposite sex is considered as a s**t,where a girl frankly ,openly justifying herself is considered ill mannered.
Inspite of living in 21th century social norms exist. And they say their is no progess which is true. How can there be,when the people are still so conservative and close-minded.
Why isn't one accepted as the way they are ,carry own identity, do whatever they loves to do and be respected for their choices?
Why can't the society set us free from the confined norms we are living with since ages? Why can't an individual be accepted the way he/she is?
We all do read n number of articles in newspapers and magazines like this and what do we actually do? Sell it after reading to the raddiwala. Yes,that's an ugly truth. Because honestly there is nobody who has enough courage to change the mind sets of our orthodox and doctrinaire Indian society and the ones who have, are resisted by the ones who don't want the change to happen.
Can we have a better society to live in,where people like us are set free from the ropes we are recklessly tied into?

A sincere note to the dogmatic people in the society: live and let live.We are ,who we are. Please don't judge us. Let us be our true self.

© 2015 Divya Parwani


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Girl, you said it. And I am glad you did, for this is really applicable to the society we live in. It is sad to see that people in our society still feel this way. I hope that in the near future, people's mindset can be changed for the better, thus making the world a better place to live in. Thank you for posting this :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


If there is one guy with five or six girls then he is dude or stud...and if a girl is standing with five boys she is s**t...the problem here is narrow and cheap mentality...which need to be change...thank you for sharing a powerful message...

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 1, 2015
Last Updated on February 1, 2015
Tags: society, people, India, orthodox, freedom, peace

Author

Divya Parwani
Divya Parwani

jaipur, India



Writing