You look like you know nothing...

You look like you know nothing...

A Story by Ambrosia
"

A true narrative that I refer to when I tell people about myself.

"
In the infant stages of our web design company, I made the rather bold statement. "Wow!  We have $250 in our account." 
My business partner and my then boyfriend who worked in our company decided that the $250 should be spent. Now, in the mid 1990's there was no such thing as video or audio streaming on the internet.  At least, very very little of it.  So they decided we needed to be 'cutting edge' and go buy an audio/video card for our pc. 
So, off they went to the electronics store.  They came home and spent all day ripping the system apart, installing the card....RE-installing the card, uninstalling the card, RE-installing the card and finally at 5 o'clock they had successfully spent $250 and the pc wouldn't even boot up. 
I had quietly spent the day on the company laptop making sales flyers and marketing. So by 5 o'clock I turned from the laptop and looked at the two men who were now planning to take the pc to the repair shop at $75 an hour. 
I stood and said, "Let me try." 
Both immediately tried to convince me the effort would be wasted and we really needed to take it in.  If they hadn't had any luck all day, what luck would I have when I hadn't even looked at it and had no idea all they had tried? 
I said, "Well what do we have to lose if I try?" 
Both men shrugged and continued to talk about getting it to the repair shop. I couldn't tell you now what I did then.  But I know I took it step by step, simple slow settings and within ten minutes I hit "CONTROL-ALT-DELETE" and the machine came to life, new card and all. 
I stood quietly and interrupted their stressed conversation and said in a matter of fact tone, "It's fixed." 
They both stared in shock.  Yet they could see the Microsoft logo behind me on the screen. My boyfriend was European and english was not is main language. He stood rather abruptly and flung his hands at me. Loudly he said, "YOU!!!! YOU!!!!"
He stood and moved to me, he was in my face his hands reaching for me. "You look like you know nothing! And you know Everything." 
(how's THAT for a compliment....) 

© 2010 Ambrosia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

OMG! Ambrosia you have just described many women. Men think they're smatter than women, specially when it comes to electronics, but what I loved about this story is that it made me LAUGH!!! Not only are you romantic, but you have a beautiful sense of humor. This is a really great story, because as females we can all relate to it, and thanks for taking one for the team!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I taught myself the computer. Learn by trial and error. I like this story. Never rate a person till you know their skills. And then some people don't show you everything.
A outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ha. That is a great story. I wish I could say this about myself, but in truth it is the exact opposite. Great work though, it is always nice to see someone bring the simple solution to people who are thinking to hard. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

344 Views
3 Reviews
Added on February 15, 2010
Last Updated on February 15, 2010

Author

Ambrosia
Ambrosia

Dallas, TX



About
I am a myriad of people. Like a multifaceted gem, I sparkle in direct light, reflect when gazed upon and display a rainbow when allowed to shine. more..

Writing
Revelations Revelations

A Story by Ambrosia