Colombia Reign Supreme over Belgium to Take 2018 World Cup (GFWC Final Match 64)

Colombia Reign Supreme over Belgium to Take 2018 World Cup (GFWC Final Match 64)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles highlight the process of Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) and their demise from the governance of international football and the rise of Global Futbol.

"

July 15th, 2018 (GFWC Final Match 64)

Colombia Reign Supreme over Belgium to Take 2018 World Cup

Belgium 0-3 Colombia

 

Colombia has dominated from start to finish to become World Cup champions in Russia, defeating Belgium by three goals.

 

Colombia made sure Fellaini had no impact on the game, with only one through ball coming from the tall Belgian midfielder. What was more surprising was control of both wings that saw Cuadrado and Man of the Match Quintero not only score one goal each, but eradicate Carrasco’s effectiveness that he needed to be substituted late in the game, while Hazard swapped with De Bruyne to thwart Cuadrado’s advances.

 

Prior to the final, Belgium and Colombia had 1 win each in the home-and-away Invitational Cup. Both teams felt confident they could pull off a win. To help this, Colombia kept their team regular, whilst Lukaku was shockingly left out amidst injury fears, with Batshuayi taking his place. This decision proved crucial as Batshuayi held his own up forward with Hazard, but was unable to score in the first half when required.

 

Colombia’s first advance in the match resulted in a free kick, only for Quintero to fire way over the bar. Down the left midfield, Belgium fought to open the scoring, with Batshuayi trying to display a level similar to Lukaku. He won the ball off Zapata, but the Colombian defender maintained enough pressure on Batshuayi that his shot flew wide. A few minutes later, the Colombian defence was needed to block a Hazard shot.

 

In the 20th minute, Colombia worked to gain an advantage, and it came through Quintero’s boot. Carlos Sánchez worked his way around the Belgian tackles, before passing to Falcao. The striker drew two Belgian defenders and snuck the ball between them to Quintero. The left midfielder tapped the ball with his left, catching Courtois slightly off balance before striking with his right. 1-0 in the Final to Colombia.

 

Belgium then nearly equalised with three good chances. Two shots from Witsel and Batshuayi needed Ospina’s saves, before a resulting corner led to a header hitting the post.

 

Colombia countered as Bacca ran down the left wing. His cross found Falcao, whose header from a tight angle bypassed Courtois but not the post. The ball bounced out to the middle of the 18-yard box, where Cuadrado reached the ball first with his slide-shot and fired into the open goal with his left foot.

 

There was little Belgium could do in the second half as Colombia, full of energy, kept attacking for a third goal. Rodriguez’s shot required a Courtois save and an Alderweireld clearance. Later, Kompany needed to block a Colombian shot, while the upright kept out the ball and Cuadrado’s follow-up shot saved. From the corner, Bacca jumped over Fellaini before Courtois saved the header, though it was perhaps already heading out of play.

 

Still, Colombia advanced. Quintero passed along the ground to Rodriguez, who turned around his opponent. He cut the ball back into a running Falcao, and there was little Courtois could do against the left-footed strike that assured Colombia the World Cup crown.

 

Belgium had one more chance to salvage something out of the game, but Hazard’s shot flew overhead. Colombia had the final opportunity to score. Cuadrado’s cross nearly found Falcao, but Courtois and his nine saves for the match tapped the ball out of harm’s way. 

 

Seconds later it was the end of Belgium’s humiliation as Colombia celebrated a fabulous tournament that started rocky, but ended in their greatest game of the tournament.

 

Recap: Colombia drew 1-all with France, setting up a solid chance to progress to the Round of 16. However, they found Lithuania hard to handle and once again, scraped only a draw. Colombia finally came alive when they defeated Kenya in the third group game, and surprisingly, the other result went their way to secure first place. That meant entering the knockout stages on a great side of the draw, starting with Cyprus. They dispatched the European team, though not convincingly. It was their game against Macedonia where they truly came alive and dominated the majority of the game, despite a late Macedonian surge. In their toughest game, they scored early to place the pressure on the Germans and held out for victory to reach the Final. Then, they were almost faultless in every aspect of the Final, ensuring their champion status.

 

Belgium will rue Lukaku’s apparent injury, as well as their inability to take control of the midfield. There were some fundamental errors employed that allowed Colombia to play their game. Another factor: those two extra time games for Belgium and, in their seventh game, had no stamina to keep up with Colombia for 90 minutes. The Belgians will seek answers to their mistakes before the Invitational Cup, where they face Kenya at home and away, before taking on Poland and Hungary in the European Nations League and prove their status by reaching the top league. 

 

In the Americas equivalent, Colombia face Uruguay, Venezuela and Guatemala in what should be a great new tournament in the Global Futbol realm.

 

Belgium

 

Colombia

6

4

46

16

4

1

66

83

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

13

10

54

20

1

4

76

80

 

 

 

61’ #11 Carrasco off, #18 Januzaj on

 

81’ #6 Witsel off, #19 Dembélé on

 


86’ #2 Alderweireld off, #3 Vermaelen on

 

 

 

 

 

20’ #20 Quintero (#9 Falcao assist)

40’ #11 Cuadrado

45’ #3 Mina off, #23 D. Sánchez on

 

66’ #9 Falcao (#10 Rodriguez assist)

 

81’ #10 Rodriguez off, #21 Izquierdo on

81’ #7 Bacca off, #19 Borja on

 

 

 

 

 



© 2018 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on July 11, 2018
Last Updated on July 11, 2018
Tags: Alternate History, Sport

Global Futbol


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing