Asian Cup Match 9: Iraqis Come from Behind to Defeat Bahrain

Asian Cup Match 9: Iraqis Come from Behind to Defeat Bahrain

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Match 9: Iraq v Bahrain

Iraqis Come from Behind to Defeat Bahrain

January 5th, 2020

Iraq 2 Bahrain 1

 

Iraq came from behind in their Asian Cup opener to defeat Bahrain in a thrilling match.

 

However, the match started with both sides feeling out each other. Soon, Bahrain’s best chances started in left back, with the ball working to Sayed Saeed Dhiya before his pass back into the box found the goalkeeper.

 

Abdulla Al Hardan placed a cut-through ball to striker Abdulla Yusuf Helal, but the Iraqi goalkeeper ran out and stopped Helal having time for a shot.

 

In frustration trying to thwart the Bahraini attacks, Iraqi Bashar Resen gained a yellow card with his tackle on Sami Al-Husaini. The free kick was sent low and found defender Sayed Baqer, whose shot was blocked.

 

Sami Al-Husaini then scored right before halftime when he cut in from near the line to the edge of the box. His right footer found the top right corner beyond the Iraqi goalkeeper’s reach.

 

Bashar Resen then tried to mimic Al-Husaini for the Iraqis straight after the break, but he took too long to shoot, and the Bahraini defence cleared easily.

 

Ibrahim Bayesh had an attempt at the hour mark to level the scores, but it fell straight to the Bahraini goalkeeper.

 

Down the other end, Al Hardan chipped the ball over the Iraqi defence, but to no avail.

 

Instead, the Iraqis worked as a team to gain the equaliser. Safaa Hadi, on the right flank, crossed over to Dhurgham Ismail on the left. Ismail outworked his defender and crossed into Mohanad Ali. Ali rose above the rest and his header found the back of the net.

 

With twenty minutes remaining, both sides upped their attacking.

 

Humam Tariq was subbed on for Bashar Resen, who gained an injury to his upper thigh (the yellow card also playing a factor in the coach’s decision). Mohanad Ali’s ball split two Bahraini defenders and found Tariq clear, who settled, waiting for the goalkeeper to advance. As he did, Tariq did the slightest chip shot over him and the ball coolly slid over the line before any defenders could reach it.

 

With the lead, Iraq continued attacking. Tariq’s second attempt for a goal was blocked. His cross with a few minutes left found the goalkeeper. Mohammed Qasim had a shot late after Tariq teed him up from a Safaa Hadi cross, but it fell straight to the keeper. The whistle blew straight after and the Iraqis celebrated a vital victory.

 

Important aspects:

Iraq’s best afield: Mohanad Ali with a goal and assist; Amjed Attwan as defensive midfielder with the most passes alongside Jasim Al-Shaikh and most dribble attempts and most tackles; Humam Tariq when he came off the bench; Dhurgham Ismail when he shifted to left midfield instead of a defensive winger with an assist.

Amjed Attwan also had four intercepts and a clearance.

Ahmed Ibrahim Khalaf in defence with three key clearances and an intercept.

Notes for coach: Dhurgham Ismail is wasted as a winger. Bring him higher up in formation.

Where possible play Tariq when he is fully fit from the outset.

 

Bahrain’s best afield: Sami Al-Husaini and Abdulla Hardan in defensive midfielder roles; Jasim Al-Shaikh with most passes overall.

Sayed Saeed Dhiya had the most dribbles for Bahrain on the right wing.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on March 17, 2020
Last Updated on March 17, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing