Asian Cup Match 10: Afghanistan Hold on Late for Crucial Draw

Asian Cup Match 10: Afghanistan Hold on Late for Crucial Draw

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Match 10: Syria v Afghanistan

Afghanistan Hold on Late for Crucial Draw

January 6th, 2020

Syria 1 Afghanistan 1

 

Afghanistan have shown the other Asian sides they have the ability to tae it to teams in the Asian Cup after their 1-1 draw with Syria.

 

Both sides eased into the match, with the full Asian Cup in mind as they tentatively felt out each other in the middle of the field.

 

Afghanistan’s Adam Najem could not find a way around his marking for the match’s first real attempt on goal, and his shot ended up a corner. Syria countered but were found out as Afghanistan reversed their counterattack. Zelfy Nazary ended the play with the ball deep on the left flank after some high-quality team passing. His cross to Najem sent the midfielder tracking backwards, making it hard for him to get enough purchase on the ball, plus score from such a tight angle

 

Minutes later, Noor Husin made his way down the park with little resistance. He placed a low percentage chip pass into the box, which Moayad Al-Ajan dealt with, at least at first glance. Omar Al-Midani then cleared the ball that fell straight to Afghanistan’s Faisal Shayesteh. He quickly passed it to an open Omran Hardari, whose first touch brought the ball around to the other side of his body and made goalkeeper Ibrahim Alma slightly out of position as he advanced. Haydari coolly slotted the ball along the ground and into the goal, and Afghanistan had the opener for the match.

 

Afghanistan kept Syria on the back foot for the rest of the half, but did not have another shot on target, largely thanks to Shayesteh’s selfish play in trying to take on too many defenders.

 

Straight after the break, Syria almost repeated Afghanistan’s move for an equaliser, with a low percentage pass leading to a poor defensive clearance and ending up with striker Omar Al-Somah. However, his shot fell straight to the Afghani goalkeeper.

 

Kamel Hamisha later led onto a long ball that cut the Afghani defence, but the defence recovered to throw bodies in front of his shot. Osama Omari then worked down the right flank for Syria, only his cross was played to an offside Mahmoud Al-Mawas. Later, Al-Mawas had a shot from long range blocked. He also put in a cross that caused the Afghani goalkeeper to only parry it front and centre of his goal, but no other Syrian player could reach it in time.

 

In the 76th minute, Syria’s pressure finally turned into a goal. Substitute Nasouh Nakdali passed ahead of Hamisha, who placed a long range shot out of reach of the goalkeeper.

 

Full of confidence, Syria sought a second goal, with Ward Al Salama’s cross finding Hamisha, only to be deemed offside. Afghanistan’s defence instead held on and the game ended a goal apiece.

 

Important aspects:

Syria’s best: Hamisha with his goal and most successful dribbling attempts; Nakdali coming off the bench and assisting Hamisha’s goal; Ahmad Al-Salih in central defence.

Al-Mawas had the most passes of the match.

Moayad Al-Ajan with three intercepts and a clearance

Al-Midani with three intercepts and four clearances.

 

Afghanistan’s best: Haydari before being substituted with his goal; Milad Intezar before also being substituted with the most passes and dribbles for Afghanistan.

Najem with most tackles overall.

Noor Husin with three intercepts and a clearance.

Zohib Islam with two intercepts and three clearances.

Sharif Muhammad with two intercepts and seven clearances.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on March 17, 2020
Last Updated on March 17, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing