Asian Cup Match 11: Saudis Gain Crucial First Asian Cup Win Over Iran

Asian Cup Match 11: Saudis Gain Crucial First Asian Cup Win Over Iran

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Match 11: Saudi Arabia v Iran

Saudis Gain Crucial First Asian Cup Win Over Iran

January 6th, 2020

Saudi Arabia 2 Iran 1

 

Saudi Arabia have opened their Asian Cup campaign with a 2-1 victory over Iran.

 

Iran’s Sardar Azmoun had the best opportunity to score first, with his header off a corner missing the goal coming off the tight-knit pressure of the front three of Azmoun, Mehdi Taremi and Mohammed Mohebi.

 

Instead, Saudi Arabia countered and Firas Al-Buraikan found a leading Abdullah Al-Hamdan. His shot hit the right-hand post, but with Iranian goalkeeper Alireza Beiranvand out of position, Abdullah Otaif slotted into the open goal.

 

Iran worked hard to level the scores down the left-hand side of the field. Ahmad Nourollahi won a free kick for his side, which was then placed on his head beautifully, only for the ball to miss to the same side as Azmoun had earlier.

 

For the remainder of the half, neither side could penetrate into the box.

 

After the break, Iran went on the immediate attack to score. Taremi won the ball out to the left and crossed it in without hesitation. Masoud Shojaei, like his defensive midfielder counterpart, scored as he volleyed with immense power into the back of the net. The match was back on level terms.

 

With some subtle tactical changes made to counteract the midfielders having too much freedom in the box, the game stepped up a few notches. Al-Hamdan had a chance to score, but the defence closed him down too quickly. He had another chance moments later, which then led to a Salman Al-Faraj shot. The Iranian defence, once again, blocked it.

 

Hattan Bahebri had a chance just before the hour mark, but Beiranvand was too good in parrying it away. Al-Faraj later crossed into the box to a brilliant header by substitute Abdulaziz Al Bishi, only to have Beiranvand repeat the parrying prowess.

 

It was the other Saudi substitute, though, that managed to break through for a goal. Saudi Arabia worked the ball around carefully, before finding Haroune Camara with a beautiful ball as he wrong-footed his marking man and shot into the net from long range.

 

Desperate to equalise, Iran pressed forward. Nourollahi found Taremi just inside the box, but his shot flew to the right of goal. Shojaei had two more chances late, but the first needed a Mohammed Al-Owais parry, and the second ran across the face of goal. The referee blew the whistle straight and awarded the full three points to the relieved Saudi Arabians.

 

Important aspects:

Saudi Arabia’s best: Player of the Match Abdullah Otaif with a goal and best passing percentage; Camara with a goal; Salem Al-Dosari with a goal assist.

Al-Faraj with the most passes overall and most dribbles.

Al-Buraikan with most tackles for Saudi Arabia.

 

Iran’s best: Shojaei with his goal, most shots overall and most passes/dribbles for Iran; Azmoun up front; Mohebi before his substitution with his goal assist.

Omid Ebrahimi with most tackles overall.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on March 21, 2020
Last Updated on March 21, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing