Asian Cup Match 15: Seven-Goal Romp Sees Japan Humble Lowly Brunei

Asian Cup Match 15: Seven-Goal Romp Sees Japan Humble Lowly Brunei

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Match 15: Brunei v Japan

Seven-Goal Romp Sees Japan Humble Lowly Brunei

January 7th, 2020

Brunei 0 Japan 7

 

Japan trounced Brunei by seven goals in a wild display of near-perfect attacking football, as they sought to eradicate the memories of their opening match against the UAE.

 

The Japanese made a number of changes to their starting line-up from that match, seeking to find a better, more cohesive series of players and playmaking opportunities.

 

Musashi Suzuki exemplified that change as he opened with a goal in the second minute, coolly slipping the ball out of reach of the Brunei goalkeeper, Haimie Anak Nyaring.

 

Takumi Minamino should have doubled the lead in the 11th minute but missed the mark. The Brunei defenders struggled to get the ball beyond the halfway line. When they finally did, Razimie Ramlli passed into Adi Said, who shot first time, only to miss the goal area.

 

Later, Yura Indera Putera Yunos combined with Muhammad Hamir to set up a header for Ramlli, but Shuichi Gonda’s arms had it covered. Nazirrudin Ismail then had a great chance to header for home. The ball instead flew out for a goal kick.

 

Instead, Japan worked down the other end. Kensuke Nagai somehow won the ball in an unlikely contest and snagged Japan’s second just after the half-hour mark. His second goal came when he took on two defenders and slid the ball beyond the goalkeeper.

 

With three minutes left in the half, Suzuki scored his second goal, also taking on the Brunei defence, Gaku Shibasaki had two attempts to make it five goals for Japan in the half, only to have the first saved and the second hit the woodwork. Instead, the fifth came via a free kick, as Genki Haraguchi hit the left post before the ball fell across the line.

 

After the break, Shibasaki brought about another Nyaring save, which eventually settled to Nagai, whose shot produced the save of the match as Nyariung needed to stretch with his left arm.

 

Caught off guard down the other end, Japan had no answer for Ramlli, but his shot flew wide, and Japan were able to keep their clean sheet,

 

Minamino should have scored when he dribbled free into the box but he missed to the right. Hotaru Yamaguchi had a great header chance, only to send the ball over the bar.

 

Finally, the 72nd minute brought another Haraguchi goal as he led into a vacant box.

 

Suzuki nearly had a hat trick, only for Nyaring to make another save. Instead, substitute Ryoichi Maeda scored, making the score 7-0. That became the final score, giving the Japanese a solid chance at making it to second place in Group A.

 

Important aspects:

Brunei’s best: Nyaring with eight saves; Ramlli with a shot on target and most passes overall, as well as three intercepts.

Shahrazen Said with most dribbles for Brunei.

Most tackles for Brunei: Khalid Mahmud.

Suhaimi Anak Sulau with two clearances, one intercept and one blocked shot.

 

 

Japan’s best: Suzuki with a brace, three shots on target and one assist; Haraguchi with a brace, three shots on target and most dribbles overall; Nagai with a brace and three shots on target.

Shibasaki with three shots on target.

Yamaguchi and Haraguchi with most passes for Japan.

Seventeen shots overall, thirteen on target.

Kobayashi with three intercepts and a clearance.

Sasaki with two intercepts and two clearances.

 

Group A

The UAE will finish top of Group A, with their final match against the lowly Brunei side. Even if they somehow lose, they have defeated both Japan and Kyrgyzstan, and so will still be placed above them based on head-to-head results alone. Japan and Kyrgyzstan will battle for second place in their final match, with the victor claiming that position. A draw will see Japan in second, while Kyrgyzstan will probably advance as a well-placed side in third position. A Japanese loss could still see them make the Round of 16 with a solid goal difference thanks to today’s match.

 

 

Group A

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

UAE

2

2

0

0

6

+3

2

Japan

2

1

0

1

3

+6

3

Kyrgyzstan

2

1

0

1

3

-1

4

Brunei

2

0

0

2

0

-8



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on March 21, 2020
Last Updated on March 21, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing