Asian Cup Match 18: Indonesia Shock India with Vital Draw

Asian Cup Match 18: Indonesia Shock India with Vital Draw

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Match 18: India v Indonesia

Indonesia Shock India with Vital Draw

January 8th, 2020

India 1 Indonesia 1

 

Indonesia produced the game of their Global Futbol existence with a crucial one-all draw against a struggling Indian side in their second match of the Asian Cup.

 

India swapped Lallianzuala Chhangte in for Faroukh Choudhary in their attempt to attack further up the park. David Maulana took a back seat on the bench for Irfan Bachdim in Indonesia’s starting eleven.

 

Bachdim had an immediate impact with the first shot on target for the match.

 

Teuku Ichsan should have scored first, though, but fired straight over the crossbar in the 22nd minute.

 

Instead, it was Febri Haryadi who scored first after Bachdim passed through to Greg Nwokolo on the left wing. Nwokolo found a way to slip between two defenders and before they could respond, chipped over to Haryadi, who scored.

 

India could have equalised immediately when a loose defensive pass found Chhangte free, only for the incomer to miss wide of the mark. Instead, it was Indonesia who led at the break.

 

Vinit Rai came off the bench and had the best chance in the second half for the Indians, only for the Indonesian goalkeeper, Muhammad Ridho, to make the crucial save. Indonesia had an answer in defence for every attack from their opponents and it became clear the Indians were easily frustrated. Pronay Halder had a shot, only to not put any curl on the ball and it sailed wide of the mark.

 

Anirudh Thapa instead was the Indian’s saviour as he came on the field. Rai set him up in the box and he quickly took the shot, thundering into the back of the net.

 

India did not have enough time, or so it seemed, to score a second goal, until one last corner before the death. Rahul Bheke headed for goal, only for the Indonesian goalkeeper to save it. The ball flew upwards, with Pritam Kotal winning the ball. He passed it back over toward a dangerous area, only for Rudolof Basna to outjump Thapa and clear the ball far enough.

 

The one-all draw places both sides in a precarious position with the need to win their final game to have any chance of qualifying for the Round of 16.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Indonesia with a far better passing accuracy, partly because they played around the back after scoring their goal, while India were far more attacking in the second half.

 

India’s best afield: Rai coming off the bench with the goal assist; Thapa coming off the bench with the goal; Gurpreet Singh with four saves.

Brandon Fernandes with the most passes and tackles for the match.

Sunil Chhetri with the most dribble attempts for India.

Adil Khan with four clearances and an intercept.

Chhangte with two intercepts and a clearance.

 

Indonesia’s best afield: Haryadi with his goal before being substituted early; Basna in defence with four key clearances and two intercepts, Bayu Andriatmoko before being substituted at halftime.

Gavin Adsit and Ichsan with the most passes for Indonesia.

Adsit with two key clearances and an intercept.

Otávia Dutra with two key intercepts and two clearances.

Ricky Fajrin with two key clearances and an intercept.

Hendro Siswanto with the most dribbles for the match, coming from right back, as well as two key clearances and an intercept.

 

Group C

As mentioned, Indonesia and India both require a win to have a chance at qualifying for the next phase. Indonesia face Uzbekistan, who has secured first place already. Uzbekistan will look to rest some players before their Round of 16 match against the third-placed side of Group A, B or F. India face Bangladesh and must gain a high number of goals to ensure they come second or be well placed in third position, if Indonesia were also to win. Bangladesh must bounce back from their loss to Uzbekistan, though against a dangerous India, their best hope is for a draw and to deny India a place in the Round of 16.

 

 

Group C

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Uzbekistan

2

2

0

0

6

+4

2

Indonesia

2

0

2

0

2

0

3

India

2

0

1

1

1

-2

4

Bangladesh

2

0

1

1

1

-2



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I appreciate a little sports journalism. It's pretty rare around these parts.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Steve Clark

3 Years Ago

Just wait until we hit June! Then the journalism is going to increase three-fold!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
1 Review
Added on April 24, 2020
Last Updated on April 24, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing