Asian Cup Match 21: Group E’s Stalemate Between Iraq and Syria

Asian Cup Match 21: Group E’s Stalemate Between Iraq and Syria

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Match 21: Iraq v Syria

Group E’s Stalemate Between Iraq and Syria

January 9th, 2020

Iraq 1 Syria 1

 

Two goals in the second half close to one another set up a grand draw between Iraq and Syria in Group E.

 

Nasouh Nakdali was brought into the side for Syria, as well as Omar Kharbin. As for Humam Tariq, he was brought in this vital game for the Iraqis. Dhurgham Ismail was moved further up in the formation.

 

The two Iraqis combined for the first shot of the match straight to Syrian goalkeeper Ibrahim Alma.

 

Down the other end, Kharbin had a header from a corner that required Amjed Attwan’s deft touch to keep it out of goal.

 

As the halftime break neared, Ismail worked down the wing before sending the ball into the box. It eventually fell to Mohanad Ali, of which his shot needed an Alma save. Attwan then latched onto the clearance and fired, only to have the ball sail over the goal. Tariq then brought about yet another Alma save.

 

In the second half, Omar Al-Midani scored an own goal in a defensive tussle to try and clear the ball. In the confusion, substitute Mohannad Abdulraheem shot for goal. The ball hit the block of Al-Midani, only for the defender to then roll backwards as he lost balance and the ball to trickle in the goal.

 

Syria responded immediately with a goal from captain Omar Al-Soma. Moayad Al-Ajan worked down the left wing and crossed straight to his leader, whose header made no mistake.

 

Now realising they could win, Syria brought on Mohammed Osman. He set up Mardik Mardikian for a shot, only for Iraqi goalkeeper Mohammed Hameed to make the save.

 

That win did not prevail, and in the end, the game ended in a draw.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Iraq’s best afield: Ismail before being substituted with equal most passes and most successful dribbles for Iraq; Alaa Ali Mhawi as right back wing with equal most passes for Iraq and equal most tackles (as well as two key intercepts and a clearance); Saad Natiq in central defence with equal most tackles, two key clearances and an intercept.

Tariq with equal most passes for Iraq.

Rebin Sulaka with three key intercepts and a clearance.

Attwan with three key intercepts and a clearance.

 

Syria’s best afield: Moayad Al-Ajan with his assist and equal most tackles; Omar Al-Soma with his goal; Kamel Hamisha in defensive midfield role with three key intercepts; Ibrahim Alma with four saves.

Mohammed Al-Marmour with most passes and successful dribbles overall.

Ahmad Al-Salih with three key clearances and an intercept.


© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on April 24, 2020
Last Updated on April 24, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing