Chapter 1: National Relations

Chapter 1: National Relations

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

Chapter 1

"

“All I hear is the cart creaking, dear brother.”

“Mama?”

“I think she is sleeping, Erinu.”

“She did take a nasty blow to the head.”

“Where do you think they are taking us?”

“I know not, little brother, I know not.”

 

Chapter 1: National Relations

 

“The King is awaiting, Yered,” the page whispered a second time.

Yered did not flinch, keeping his eye on the sword as he flicked his index finger at it. The metal pinged, echoing through the tent for a brief moment, awakening the courage in his heart. Here he was, primed for battle. His men were lingering outside. They too awaited the final call for battle, having tasted the spoils of the nation of Vergara. Now, standing before them was another tribe, that evil tribe, with their peering eyes and their women dresses and their wrinkled noses, their hair never washed. The men wanted most the spoils of war with this tribe. Fighting in Vergara was straightforward with its minor skirmishes. This would be the first test of battle for the men, for Yered.

“Son, tell the King I will be there shortly.”

“It is urgent, sir.”

“Of course,’ Yered sighed as he untied his vambrace and breastplate. ‘Lead the way.”

The page hurried outside where the men readied themselves with their beet red armour. Most of their faces mirrored Yered; the first test of their manhood was at hand. Several younger men, if one could barely call them men, had widened eyes and were taking in the newspring air in shortened breaths. Yered smiled. If he were that age, he would feel the same. Why the King bothered to recruit such young lads, Yered knew not.

The page led Yered to the centre of the camp, ensuring he avoided being tripped over by cordage. Ropes went in all directions as the men hastily erected their tents, eager for the next stage of the advancement.

The two paused outside the royal tent, emblazoned with the Keturah insignia. The page leaned in, and quivered, “Your Majesty, Yered is here.”

“About time!’ came the voice from inside, a little high-pitched at the first syllable before lowering by the end. ‘Send him in.”

The page held back the tasseled fabric. Yered bowed as he entered.

“Good morning, your Majesty.”

The King was reclining in the middle of the tent, empty bowls surrounding him, except for some yellow substance. Yered knew by its aroma: flixweed. At the end of his kip sat her Majesty, the King’s mother.

“Your Majesties, you mean, Yered.”

“Forgive me. I was not aware of your presence, Abimael.”

“That is not how you address your former queen.”

“Your Majesty,’ Abimael turned to the King, ‘Yered has no need for formality. After all, he is family.”

“Yes, yes, of course. Still, he needs to be more respectful.”

Yered wondered if they had forgotten about his presence. “I apologise, Your Majesty. How shall I refer to her?”

“Her Majesty.”

“But she is no longer…”

“Yes?” the King interjected.

“Well, Queen, since Kenan left for his forefathers.”

“True, but she is still my mother.”

“Hush, Labar,’ said Abimael. ‘Let us bear straight to the business at hand.”

“Of course. Yered, are the men ready for battle?”

“They are, Your Majesty.”

“Excellent. How will they fight against the Manas Hu today?”

“Splendidly, sir.”

“Good to hear. Tell me, has the campaign been well thus far?” inflected the King.

Yered paused, unsure of the answer the King sought. There was that hint of sarcasm he had used since the age of thirteen eklars.

“It has gone well,’ Yered finally answered. ‘We lost a few men early in the skirmishes, but the Vergarans fled before they could rally themselves.”

“Tell me, for I am receiving a few conflicting reports, how you and your men came to Vergara?”

“How do you mean, sir?”

“Your men are telling me different tales of how your trip over the mountains began.”

Yered looked at the young King as he rose. There was something about the way he carried himself, the way his clothes covered his body. It was like all the young princes, where their invincibility carried them through any situation. For the first time, Yered shuddered before the King he previously knew as a cheeky, freckled prince. Yered chose his next words with caution.

“I was stationed near the mountain of Chifre, preparing a small group of men for the incursion.”

“What were your instructions?”

“To await the lighting of the beacons. That was the cue to attack.”

“And where were you supposed to attack?”

“The villages and vineyards east of Ariquemes before making our way towards Ariquemes, or if the directive came from you, to veer towards Buenito.”

“Good. Did you follow those commands?”

“Sir, the situation changed.”

“How?”

“The golden chain.”

“The what?”

“The golden chain, sir. We lost it.”

Labar stepped closer to Yered, his crooked finger pointing. Yered placed a foot back, adjusting the weight to his front foot, ready to retreat further.

“Darling Labar, hear him out,” said Abimael.

Labar stopped, though his finger remained erect. “Please, Yered, continue.”

Yered licked the outer upper lip and looked to the roof of the tent, its pole holding steady despite the increased wind outside.

“We split my company in two. Luondo, my second-in-command, took charge of the other men and ventured to the camping ground near Chifre. I gave Luondo the chain because I thought he would need it more than me.”

“That is presumptuous of you.”

“Sir, I have been in battles before. I have experience. Luondo did not. Anyway, Luondo sent a message through one of the runners that I must cross the Chifre pass and follow him. A man, a simpleton, had taken the golden chain from them and Luondo and his half of the company were in pursuit.

“How did they know he was a simpleton?”

“It was a man who used to trade mushrooms and other wares with our people. He was not bright in his head, but he did always find the greatest of mushrooms. His name, I do not recall…”

“No matter, tell me what happened.”

“We followed his tracks past a smoldered house and reached the location of another.”

“And?”

“There we found Luondo and two of my men, dead.”

Labar sat down, resting his forearms on his knees.

“Was it the simpleton?”

“I believe so. Or his friend.”

“His friend?”

“My company followed a new set of tracks leading to the creek. This pair of men �" one was heavyset, who we believed to be the simpleton, and the other, who was perhaps a friend of his. We have no clue about him.”

Labar leaned back. “Go on.”

“We tracked the men for a time, only we lost their footprints. So, we burnt their house and kept sentinel watch in case they returned.”

“Did they?”

“Yes. One of the sentinel boys sounded his horn. Three of us rushed to the location. We found one of the boys injured; I left one of my men to treat his broken leg and arm.”

“Did you pursue the simpleton and his friend?”

“Yes, your Majesty, but only as far as the forest. Again, we lost their footprints. We presumed the attack on Vergara was the main goal, so we returned to the vineyard to await the advance.”

“Did you send word immediately?”

“We sent a lightfoot, Terrano, back into Keturah. As far as we knew, no one had seen us, save those two Vergarans. Oh, and a woman and two children whom were sent eastwards. Meanwhile, we retreated to the edge of a vineyard and awaited instructions.”

“You fool!’ Labar stood. ‘Do you not realise how crucial that chain is to our Keturah race?”

“How important is it, your Majesty?”

“Do not get impertinent with me, Yered. Clearly…”

“Darling,’ Abimael interjected, ‘though he is related to us, distantly, does not mean he knows about the golden chain.”

“Every Keturah boy knows about the chain.”

“They are now being taught by their preceptors, my son, now you have decreed it. But for many years the stories of the golden chain remained hidden.”

“Then why was it entrusted to these pigs for safekeeping?”

“Because, your Majesty, Labar my dear son, it is better for soldiers do not understand its importance will not wield it incorrectly.”

“Pardon?”

“If the soldiers do not know how important it is, they will not be corrupted by it.”

“Really? I think the proof lies elsewhere!”

“True, my dear. Do not harden your heart against Yered. He pursued the simpleton and his friend as far as he dared. He is to be commended.”

“Yes,’ breathed Yered, wondering if the relief was so loud the page could hear it from outside. ‘And anyway, we have acquired many women and children, as ordered.”

“Ordered by whom?”

“You, your Highness. It was decreed before the Vergaran attack.”

“I did not.”

“Yes, my son, you did. Remember?”

Labar cocked his head, eyebrows forming a V-shape.

Abimael continued, “You sent out an order seven veros before we crossed the border to take captured Vergaran women and children and transport them to the coast. That is why we had the ships arranged: to carry the prisoners to Akola and sell them to prospectors.”

“Of course. I remember.”

“Indeed, my dear,” Abimael chuckled. Labar glared at her.

“Still,’ he turned to Yered, ‘you should have pursued the simpleton further. He is obviously not as simple as you make him out to be. He injured one of the sentinels, did you say?”

“Yes, but the sentinel was only a boy.”

“A boy? You placed a boy in charge of keeping watch over the house?”

“Two, actually. Again, those were your orders, King Labar.”

Labar turned to Abimael. She nodded in agreement.

“My apologies, your Majesty, those were my orders. Why waste a good soldier on sentinel work when boys can do the job?”

“Clearly.’ Labar sighed and then paused, as though recollecting a thought in his mind. ‘Yered, we must return to the original problem. You broke territory before the official commencement, which killed the element of surprise. Yes, you did that to retrieve the golden chain. I understand that now. But I have written an order for you.”

They paused. Yered wondered whether he was to speak. He looked into Labar’s eyes, those deep brown eyes with a hint of green, possibly a relic from Abimael’s bloodline.

“I have two tasks for you, Yered,” Labar finally spoke, his lips hardly moving. Yered leaned closer. Labar squinted.

“Before I tell you, I must know you will promise to fulfil them.”

“Do I have a choice?”

Labar smiled. “Yes, and no.”

“What do you mean?”

“Yes, you have a choice. You can choose not to do them. But if you do not, you will never see another battle again, and your family, Niravah and the children, will have to remain in Keturah instead of settling in Vergara or Manas Hu.”

Yered remained unmoved, though his heart thudded against his ribs.

Labar continued, “On the other side of the coin, if you choose to do these tasks, your family will live in the castle and never be hungry like I know they were last new moon.”

Yered’s shoulder flinched as he took in a rapid breath. Labar smirked.

He knows.

“So, you see, Yered, you really have one choice. Your family will be provided adequately during the war and beyond. I will care for your children as though they are my own.”

Yered nodded. Labar took that as an agreement and thrust his hand forward. Dazed, Yered took the hand and shook in the traditional Keturah manner.

“What are the tasks, your Majesty?”

“I received word last night there was an uprising amongst the Vergaran prisoners out east. The captain holding them was killed. Some of the prisoners were beheaded as a result. I do not mind that justice is served, but I need someone to calm both our soldiers and the prisoners. We need them to be sold at Akola to pay the wages of our soldiers.”

“Fine. And the second task?”

“Ah, yes, the more important task. We are in the process of getting the backing of the Orguein king.”

“Backing?”

“He is supporting our efforts with ships and weapons. What I need you to do is travel to Orguein and ensure this runs smoothly.”

“Fine. When do I leave for the coast?”

“As soon as possible. A quick farewell for your men will suffice. But wait a moment, this is important. Are you listening?”

Yered nodded.

“On your way to the Orguein islands, I need you to stop in Kutno. We want their backing as well, mainly to help with materials for weapons.”

“Are you serious?”

“Very.”

“No one has been to Kutno for many eklars!”

“Indeed.”

“And you expect me to find a vessel that will carry me there and disembark, saying, ‘Greetings, our foe. I am from Keturah, and we wish you to join us in our conquest’?”

“Indeed.”

“That is absurd!” Yered’s hands flailed in the air.

“Yered, be careful what you say,” said Abimael.

Yered closed his mouth and breathed through his nose.

“You want me to visit the enemy?”

“Indeed.”

Stop saying indeed.

“Hear my voice, Yered. The Kutno are in a similar position as us. They are on a small island and cannot cater for their population either. I want them to join us and in return, they will reap some of the spoils.”

“But do you think there will be enough land in Vergara and Manas Hu to cater for us, the Orguein mob, and the Kutno as well?”

“No, of course not. But I have a greater plan. Taking the Manas Hu will not be the end of the conquest.”

“How do you mean?”

“I have a greater vision.”

“What is your vision?”

“The whole world.”

“The whole world?”

“Indeed. That is my plan. That is also why we need the support of the Orguein and, just as important, the Kutno folk. We leave the soldiers in Akola and take over the island. That will help us acquire all manner of vessels to begin an invasion on the Kedemah people. After that, the Shuiku and those living in Jedda will be ours forever. We will never worry about wealth and we will have the land we have always desired for our people.”

By now Labar glowed a lightened red, his arms waving about.

“Interesting.”

“And the golden chain your company lost, we will recover. Wherever the thief; he will be found.”

“That is a relief.”

“You know, Yered, I do not actually hold you personally responsible.”

“You do not?” both Abimael and Yered said.

Labar ignored them both.

“Here we must depart. I have much to do. I have informed Prince Rodanim of my instructions to you. He shall meet you in the Scabbard tent with further information.”

He already made his mind to send me, the varlet.

“Thank you, Your Majesty.”

Yered turned and left, the tassels brushing his curled hair and seven-vero beard.

Have I just been sent for a mission on national relations? Me?

Sure, he had been an advisor to Kenan and the young prince Labar, but as soon as Labar took to the throne, Yered was returned to the army, where he had earlier grown into a man. Now, he was to abandon his young men before the dawn of their greatest triumph.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on May 1, 2020
Last Updated on May 1, 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing