Asian Cup Matches 33 and 34: Surprise Afghanistan Win Propels Them To Second in Group E

Asian Cup Matches 33 and 34: Surprise Afghanistan Win Propels Them To Second in Group E

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Matches 33 and 34: Afghanistan v Iraq and Bahrain v Syria

Surprise Afghanistan Win Propels Them To Second in Group E

January 14th, 2020

Afghanistan 2 Iraq 1

 

Afghanistan shocked the Asian footballing world with a solid victory over Iraq, guaranteeing their advancement to the Round of 16 by securing second place in Group E.

 

Afghanistan made five changes to their starting eleven from the previous match, including their goalkeeper. Ali Husni came into defensive midfielder for Iraq.

 

Iraq scored early, as expected, via Humam Tariq as he placed the ball against the post and into goal.

 

However, Afghanistan worked back into the match and in the 26th minute, Fareed Sadat found Omran Haydari’s head, and the striker made no mistake.

 

Haydari had another chance after winning a free kick, but his shot failed to bring about a goalkeeping save. In the next passage of play, Mohammed Hameed was required to save the shot.

 

As the half came to a close, Dhurgham Ismail sent a through ball to Amjad Attwan playing temporarily in a striker’s role. His first touch, however, favoured the Afghani goalkeeper, Faisal Hamidi, and the half ended all square.

 

In the second half, Noroallah Amiri had the first best attempt on goal, only for Hameed to save the day. Haydari then made the most of a Hameed error in the next passage of play and gave Afghanistan the lead.

 

Substitute Bashar Resen had a chance to equalise, only for Hamidi to make the save.

 

Instead, Afghanistan won on the day, causing a real ruffle amongst the Group E table.

 

Afghanistan’s best afield: Haydari with his brace; Sadat at left back with a goal assist and equal most passes for the match; David Najem at right back with a goal assist, as well as three key clearances and an intercept; Naeem Rahimi coming off the bench with two key clearances and an intercept.

Zohib Islam with most dribbles for Afghanistan.

Rahmatullah KhairKhah playing his first match with the most tackles for the match.

 

Iraq’s best afield: Tariq with the goal; Hameed with four saves; Ali Husni with the assist and equal most passes for the match, as well as most successful dribbles for the match; Safaa Hadi.

Saad Natiq with two key clearances, an intercept and a block.

 

Bahrain 1 Syria 0

 

Bahrain scored against Syria with seven minutes remaining of regulation time to secure first place in Group E.

 

Ismail Abdullatif came into the starting eleven for Bahrain, while Syria kept the same side that drew against Iraq.

 

Omar Al Soma had the best chance for the Syrians as Bahrain dominated much of the play but could not penetrate into the 18-yard box. Bahrain had chances in the 40th minute, only for the Syrian defence to block and hold firm.

 

Straight after the break, Sayed Dhiya had the best opportunity, saved only by the Syrian goalkeeper.

 

As reports for an Afghani lead came from the other match, Bahrain knew a draw would suffice, whereas Syria needed a win to progress to the Round of 16. Bahrain kept possession, and Sami Al-Husaini had a chance to score, only for his header to fly straight at the goalkeeper.

 

As the match wore on, Abdulwahab Al-Malood set up Abdullatif, only for the shot to be blocked.

 

Then, in the 83rd minute, Abdullatif caught a cross from the right wing and nailed the goal, giving Bahrain the lead and seemingly first place in the group.

 

Al-Malood had a chance three minutes late, though his header flew over the bar.

 

In the end, Bahrain gained the full three points.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Bahrain had nine shots to Syria’s two.

Bahrain’s best afield: Jasim Al-Shaikh with the most dribbles for the match, five intercepts and a clearance; Dhiya with the goal assist; Ahmed Bughammar with the most passes for the match.

Al-Husaini with four key intercepts and a clearance.

 

Syria’s best afield: Ibrahim Alma with seven saves; Omar Kharbin with equal most dribbles for Syria; Ahmad Al Salih in central defence with two key clearances and two intercepts.

Nasouh Nakdali and Mahmoud Al-Awas with equal most passes and tackles for Syria.

Al-Awas with equal most dribbles for Syria.

Moayad Al-Ajan with two key intercepts and two clearances.

Hussein Al-Juwaid with two key intercepts and two clearances.

Ward Al Salama with two key intercepts and a clearance.

 

Group E

Afghanistan shocked their critics with half their starting eleven changed for their final game against Iraq. This propelled them into second place, and a chance to take on the winner of Group F. Bahrain will take on Oman. Iraq, guaranteed a place in the Round of 16 in spite of their latest loss, will wait to see what takes place in Group F before their opponent is decided, either South Korea or the UAE. Either way, the match will be difficult, as both sides have the momentum running into the knockout stages. Another poor performance will see the 2018 World Cup side bow out at the last 16 stage.

 

 

Group E

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Bahrain

3

2

0

1

6

+3

2

Afghanistan*

3

1

1

1

4

-2

3

Iraq*

3

1

1

1

4

0

4

Syria

3

0

2

1

2

-1

 

*Iraq lost to Afghanistan and remains in third place.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on June 14, 2020
Last Updated on June 14, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing