Asian Cup R16 Match: Oman Win in Third Penalty Shootout in a Row

Asian Cup R16 Match: Oman Win in Third Penalty Shootout in a Row

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Round of 16 Match: Bahrain v Oman

Oman Win in Third Penalty Shootout in a Row

January 19th, 2020

Bahrain 1 Oman 1 (3-4 on penalties)

 

Oman defeated Bahrain in the third penalty shootout in as many matches, coming from behind in regulation time as well as the actual shootout itself.

 

Oman attacked early, with Yaseen Al-Sheyadi shooting first, before having another half-sliding chance.

 

Omani’s Mohsin Al-Khaldi then got onto a cross from left wing, only for the Bahrain goalkeeper, Sayed Jaffer, to close him down before he had time to shoot.

 

In the 20th minute, Ahmed Mubarak had a header from a corner hitting the left post.

 

However, little happened for the rest of the half, and at the break, neither side looked like dealing a decisive blow.

 

Bahrain slowly worked out their side with two substitutes and settled in around the hour mark. A goal came as a result from Jasim Al-Shaikh, cutting back from the left wing and as he trailed away from goal, sent the shot in, deflecting off Ali Al-Busaidi and looping into the goal, since Ali Al Habsi was diving to save the original shot.

 

Sayed Saeed Dhiya then had a chance minutes later, only to hit the left-hand post.

 

Bahrain looked to see out the match; however, Al-Khaldi had other ideas, and his shot did also hit the left-hand post, only for the ball to trickle into the net.

 

With the game all squared, the final ten minutes were intense. Abdulla Harden tore his calf muscle and needed to be substituted. Dhiya should have scored, but he fired to the left in an attempt to correct his earlier poster, much to the dismay of the Bahrain supporters. Instead, the whistle blew with the score 1-1.

 

Little took place for the first period of extra time, though the last kick was a Muhsen Al-Ghassani shot, missing wide of the mark.

 

Bahrain’s Ismail Abdullatif, on his last legs, took a shot to win a corner. Later, Dhiya switched to the left and ran onto a long ball, only to have his shot thwarted. From the corner, Mubarak headed for home but the head of Ali Al-Jabri knocked the ball out of play. Abdulwahab Al Malood rose to meet the ball, but his shot was off. Substitute Thiago Fernandes also had a swipe, only for the defence to stop him.

 

In the penalty shootout:

Sami Al-Husaini scored for Bahrain.

Abdulaziz Al Muqbali missed for Oman �" saved by Jaffer diving at full stretch to his right.

Mahdi Al-Humaidan scored straight down the line.

Al-Ghassani hit the centre of the post, trying to get it beyond Jaffer.

Al-Shaikh tried to chip, only to go over the bar.

Al-Khaldi scored.

Abdellatif’s shot thwarted by Al Habsi.

Ahmed Mubarak for Oman slotted home, levelling the scores again.

Al Malood scored.

Al-Sheyadi scored.

Fernandes shot saved by Al Habsi, diving to his left and using his full body to keep it out.

Said Al Ruzaiqi’s power outworked Jaffer, and Oman celebrated a crazy win, though they were the underdog for most of the match and were outplayed at times.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Bahrain’s best: Al-Shaikh with his goal and most passes and dribbles overall, as well as equal most tackles overall and five key intercepts; Jaffer in goals; Ahmed Bughammar; Sayed Baqer.

Abdulla Al Hazaa with four clearances and two intercepts.

 

 

Oman’s best: Mohammed Al-Musalami in central defence with equal most tackles overall, five intercepts and five blocks; Al-Khaldi with his goal and equal most passes for Oman as well as most dribbles for Oman; Al-Jabri with his assist; Amran Al Hidi.

Al-Busaidi with three key clearances, two intercepts and a block.

 

Quarter Final Matches

 

The Quarter Final teams are now all arranged, with the majority of the big nations stacked on one side.


Japan v South Korea

Australia v Iran

Philippines v Oman

UAE v Kuwait

 

The UAE have a far better draw, should they defeat Kuwait. Their Semi Final opponent will be either the Philippines or Oman, who they will be favourites on defeating. On the other side of the draw, it is tricky to pick between Japan, South Korea, Australia and Iran, as all sides have the prowess to overcome the others. It is sure going to be a wondrous final seven matches to determine the Asian Cup champions.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20 Views
Added on June 15, 2020
Last Updated on June 15, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing