Asian Cup Quarter Final Match: Philippines Continue Joy Run with Defeat Over Oman

Asian Cup Quarter Final Match: Philippines Continue Joy Run with Defeat Over Oman

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

Asian Cup Quarter Final Match: Philippines v Oman

Philippines Continue Joy Run with Defeat Over Oman

January 22nd, 2020

Philippines 1 Oman 0

 

The Philippines continue to shock in the Asian Cup, this time defeating Oman by a substitute Daisuke Sato goal.

 

The Philippines returned to their back five line-up, knowing they would need to have periods of holding firm for fitness reasons, after having been taken to penalties. Oman, meanwhile, kept their same team, even though they also went to penalties.

 

Alone up front, Filipino Àngel Guirado had the first shot for the match in the seventh minute, only for Ali Al Habsi to parry it away.

 

Although the Philippines had the upper hand, neither side could get close to goal. Guirado then mimicked his first attempt late in the half, only for Al Habsi to rise to the challenge again.

 

Oman stepped up in the second half, but again it was the Philippines with another effort on goal, this time by Curt Dizon, but the shot was effectively blocked.

 

Down the other end, Guirado needed to win a defensive aerial challenge, and as he came down, injured himself.

 

Minutes later, Yaseen Al-Sheyadi should have scored with the through ball from Ahmed Mubarak, only to not get enough purchase on his sliding shot.

 

Jameel Al-Yahmadi then had the best chance for Oman, only for the shot to sail way over the bar.

 

With seven minutes remaining, the Philippines won the midfield battle, worked down the left wing and then chipped into Guirado’s substitute Daisuke Sato, whose header found the back of the net against all odds.

 

A yellow card went to Iain Ramsay after his hefty challenge on Abdulaziz Al Muqbali, causing the striker to be substituted. That was the final blow for Oman as there was little hope of scoring with so little time left.

 

In the end, the Philippines denied their critics in pulling off a grand victory and will now tackle the might of either the UAE or Kuwait in the second Semi Final. They will, however, have to do it without their striker Guirado, as the injury looks severe. Oman will rue their poor performance and must bounce back when they try to qualify for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Only one Omani shot on target.

 

Philippines’ best: Neil Etheridge with five key touches on the ball in goals; Carli de Murga in central defence with his assist to Sato; John-Patrick Strauß in right central defence; Martin Steuble next to him; Sato with his late goal.

Guirado with equal most successful dribble attempts overall and second equal most passes overall.

Dizon with four key intercepts and two clearances.

Álvaro Silva with two key intercepts and two clearances.

 

Oman’s best: Amran Al Hidi with second equal most passes overall; Arshad Al Alawi with equal most tackles overall; Mubarak with most passes overall.

Mohsin Johar with second equal most passes overall.

Al-Yahmadi with equal most successful dribble attempts and equal most tackles overall.

Zahir Al Aghbari with three key clearances and an intercept.

Ali Al-Busaidi with two key clearances, an intercept and a block.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

18 Views
Added on June 15, 2020
Last Updated on June 15, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing