Asian Cup Final: South Korea Crowned Champions of Asia

Asian Cup Final: South Korea Crowned Champions of Asia

A Chapter by Steve Clark

Asian Cup Final: South Korea v UAE

South Korea Crowned Champions of Asia

February 1st, 2020

South Korea 2 UAE 1

 

Two first-half goals from Hwang In-Beom and Lee Jae-Sung became the catalyst for South Korea’s win over hosts the United Arab Emirates, earning the 2020 Asian Cup trophy and etching their name in Global Futbol history.

 

The UAE brought Ahmed Mubarak into the starting eleven, whilst South Korea kept their same line-up as their Semi Final win over Australia.

 

South Korea felt they had the advantage as the UAE went to 120 minutes to overcome the Philippines. However, both sides had six or seven days of rest, and this meant both sides were on a level playing field, with most players fully fit and ready.

 

Hwang In-Beom had a solid chance early, only to shoot straight at Khalid Eisa.

 

Nam Tae-Hee then had a chance to chip, but Eisa was up to the task and got enough of his hand on the ball to stop it from travelling towards goal.

 

The UAE had answers for the various South Korean crosses. In the 25th minute, Son Heung-Min had a shot from long range, hitting the wrong side of the post.

 

Instead, the first goal came via Hwang In-Beom, set up by Son Heung-Min and Nam Tae-Hee. Ahmed Khalil gained a yellow card from his late challenge on Son Heung-Min as the Tottenham player passed into Nam Tae-Hee, who in turn cut the ball across to Hwang In-Beom, and the Koreans took the lead.

 

Kim Min-Jae then headed a cross from Lee Jae-Sung into goal, making it 2-0 at the 36th minute.

 

Three minutes after the break, Omar Abdulrahman led onto a Mubarak through ball and dragged a goal back for the hosts.

 

Mubarak then crossed from the right wing to Khalil, and although he managed to get to the drop of the ball, the tight angle meant that the post was the biggest thing in his way.

 

Abdulrahman nearly had a second when Abdalla Ramadan found him, only for the shot to sail to the left of goal.

 

Yousif Jaber should have scored and equalised with ten minutes left after Jassim Salman found him with a cross from the left wing. However, Jaber’s half-volley hit the woodwork and bounced away to relative safety.

 

South Korea’s defence then thwarted three more UAE shots through blocks, before possessively playing out the match, gaining the Asian Cup trophy in emphatic style.

 

The Emirates can hold their heads high, knowing they took South Korea to the end. However, only one team could be the kings of Asian football, and that is South Korea, who will celebrate long and hard, before embarking on the next phase: qualifying for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar after seeing out the Physico Championships.

 

Important aspects of the Final:

South Korea’s best: Kim Min-Jae with his goal, three key intercepts and a clearance; Lee Jae-Sung with his assist and most passes for South Korea as well as equal most dribbles overall; Hwang In-Beom with his goal; Jung Woo-Young in central defence with three key intercepts, two clearances and a block.

Na Sangho with two blocks and a clearance.

 

UAE’s best: Player of the Final Al Attas in defensive midfielder role with the most passes and equal most dribbles overall, as well as most tackles overall, three intercepts and a clearance; Abdulrahman with his goal; Mubarak with his assist.

Jaber with four key clearances and three intercepts.

Walid Abbas with three key intercepts and a clearance.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on June 15, 2020
Last Updated on June 15, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing