AFCON 2020 Match 3: Two Early Goals the Ideal Start for Cameroon in AFCON

AFCON 2020 Match 3: Two Early Goals the Ideal Start for Cameroon in AFCON

A Chapter by Steve Clark

AFCON 2020 Match 3: Cameroon v Zambia

Two Early Goals the Ideal Start for Cameroon in AFCON

June 15, 2020

Cameroon 2 Zambia 0

 

Cameroon scored twice early against Zambia to commence their AFCON campaign on a positive note.

 

Cameroon looked early to, according to their coach afterwards, settle into the match, but instead did not need to ease in as they scored in the second minute via André-Frank Zambo Anguissa. The Cameroonian started the ball rolling for his side as he kicked a ball cut back to him into the back of the net.

 

Captain Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting had a ping from a free kick in the fourth minute, only it was too far out to score.

 

In the tenth minute, Karl Toko Ekambi cut around Clement Mwape and fired into the net, etching two-nil onto the scoreboard.

 

Zambia had three opportunities moving forward as they desperately needed something to get back in the match, only for the Cameroonian defence to halt them at every turn. In the 38th minute, Mwila Phiri shot from outside the box only to miss to the right of goal.

 

As the half deepened, Kelvin Kampampa curled a cross from the left wing to striker Augustine Mulenga, whose header required a deft André Onana save.

 

From the corner, the ball was cleared out of the box, then back at the feet of Mulenga. His shot dribbled straight to Onana for an easy save.

 

Salulani Phiri then set up Mulenga inside the semicircle, only for the striker to fire to the left of goal.

 

In the second half, little happened for either side. Zambia’s Tapson Kaseba had an opportunity go begging when he dinked around his marking defender and shot, only to miss to the right.

 

His teammate Kabaso Chongo worked the ball off Cameroon’s defence and placed a chip to Amity Shamende, whose shot forced an advancing Onana to use his whole body to close down the shot.

 

Ekambi had a chance with fifteen minutes remaining for Cameroon to make it three goals. Somehow, Sebastian Mwange stopped the chip shot and the ball was cleared.

 

Ambroise Oyongo then had a shot after he received a short pass from a free kick from left midfield. The ball, though, flew too close to Mwange.

 

In additional time, Moumi Ngamaleu passed from left wing onto the head of Ekambi, only for Mwange to save the ball. Ekambi came awkwardly down on his ankle after the aerial challenge and he is unlikely to join his teammates in the next match.

 

No matter, for a solid result came the way of the Cameroonians and set up their tournament march deep into the finals.

 

Zambia, meanwhile, must improve across the park to have any chance of progressing to the Round of 16 with their matches against Rwanda and Benin.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Anguissa scored in the second minute.

Yellow card to Clement Mwape in the fourth minute.

Ekambi scored in the tenth minute.

Yellow card to Mwila Phiri in the 83rd minute.

 

Ekambi’s injury could be crucial, though with Vincent Aboubakar on the bench, it is likely we will see the veteran striker in the next match.

 

Cameroon had nearly double the amount of tackles.

Zambia had three extra fouls than Cameroon.

 

Cameroon’s best afield: Anguissa with his goal and equal most dribbles and most tackles overall, as well as three key intercepts and a clearance; Pierre Kunde with his assist and equal most passes and dribbles overall; Arnaud Djoum in defensive midfielder role with his assist and equal most dribbles overall, as well as two key intercepts and two clearances; Collins Fai at right back.

Banana Yaya had three key intercepts and a clearance.

Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui had three key clearances and an intercept.

 

Zambia’s best afield: Mwange in goals with six saves; Salulani Phiri with most attempted tackles for Zambia, three key intercepts and a clearance; Mwape in central defence; Mwila Phiri in central midfield with equal most passes overall and most dribbles for Zambia.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on June 18, 2020
Last Updated on June 18, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing