AFCON 2020 Match 4: Late Benin Goal Sees Draw with Rwanda in AFCON Opener

AFCON 2020 Match 4: Late Benin Goal Sees Draw with Rwanda in AFCON Opener

A Chapter by Steve Clark

AFCON 2020 Match 4: Rwanda v Benin

Late Benin Goal Sees Draw with Rwanda in AFCON Opener

June 15, 2020

Rwanda 1 Benin 1

 

An 84th-minute Steve Mounié equaliser tonight gave Benin a vital point in their match against Rwanda, after an early goal eighty minutes earlier from Rwanda’s Jacques Tuyisenge.

 

Both sides needed to start off AFCON 2020 on a good note. It was Rwanda who got the ball rolling as they scored in the fourth minute via Tuyisenge (not being closely marked). As he received the ball, he drove straight for goal and fired beyond the Benin goalkeeper, Fabien Farnolle.

 

In the 26th minute, Tuyisenge had a chance to double their lead, only Farnolle kept out the chip attempt and the ball was cleared to safety.

 

Down the other end, Benin captain Stéphane Sessègnon had a real chance, but Yves Kimenyi made two choice saves to keep the ball away from goal.

 

After the break, Benin held possession as they tried finding gaps in the Rwandan defence. Sessi D'Almeida worked a one-two with Mickaël Poté, only to shoot wide of the mark.

 

Poté then set the ball on Mounié’s head, requiring the greatest of saves from Kimenyi.

 

In the 73rd minute, Mounié set up substitute Nabil Yarou with a glorious through ball, only for Kimenyi to come to the party again.

 

Four minutes later, Jordan Adéoti brought another two saves; his first with his left boot and a header from the resulting corner of the first shot.

 

That pressure proved pivotal as Mounié stole the ball during a defensive error and he guided the ball under Kimenyi’s attempt to smother, with a slight deflection off his elbow not enough to keep the ball away from goal.

 

With the match level, Mounié again pounced on a defensive error, setting up his captain, only for Sessègnon’s shot to have no power.

 

Benin attacked one last time down the right wing. Substitute Mama Séïbou had the field in front of him. His cross to Mounié was near-perfect; the striker could not turn his body in time to shoot, and the match ended one-all.

 

Rwanda will rue missed chances in the first half, as will Benin in the second half. Nevertheless, both sides can progress to the Round of 16, but the draw is not the ideal start to the tournament.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Tuyisenge’s goal in the 4th minute.

Yellow card to Benin’s Mickaël Poté in the 39th minute.

Mounié’s goal in the 84th minute.

Benin had six more shots and six more shots on target.

Benin conceded four more fouls.

Even pass accuracy at 81% for both sides. Even possession as well.

 

Rwanda’s best afield: Kimenyi’s nine saves; Abdul Rwatubyaye at central defence with four key intercepts and two clearances; Olivier Niyonzima in defensive midfielder with most passes overall; Eric Nsabimana with the assist.

Equal most dribbles overall for Djihad Bizimana and Fitina Omborenga. Bizimana with most tackles for Rwanda.

Thierry Manzi with three key intercepts and three clearances.

 

Benin’s best afield: Mounié with his goal; Youssouf Assogba at right back with most tackles overall; Poté with equal most dribbles overall; Sessègnon with three key intercepts and a clearance, as well as a key pass.

Adéoti with most passes for Benin.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on June 19, 2020
Last Updated on June 19, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing