AFCON 2020 Match 6: Ghana with Two First-Half Goals Win in Opener Against Angola

AFCON 2020 Match 6: Ghana with Two First-Half Goals Win in Opener Against Angola

A Chapter by Steve Clark

AFCON 2020 Match 6: Ghana v Angola

Ghana with Two First-Half Goals Win in Opener Against Angola

June 16, 2020

Ghana 2 Angola 0

 

Ghana scored two goals in their opening AFCON 2020 half to set up a solid victory over Angola.

 

The West Africans could not have had a worse start when Mateus stole the ball from Joseph Aidoo, causing the Ghanaian defender to fall to the ground in pain. Mateus passed into Geraldo, whose shot trickled to the left of goal.

 

Fredy Kulembé had a ping for goal in the fourth minute head to the right of goal. The Angolans hoped their next shot would actually be on target.

 

Mateus did manage when he received the cross from Djalma, only to send the ball straight to goalkeeper Richard Ofori.

 

Down the other end, Jordan Ayew was alone against the Angolan goalkeeper, Tony Cabaça; however, the shot missed the mark.

 

In the eighteenth minute, Ghanaian Emmanuel Boateng dinked around defenders, bringing about a choice Cabaça save. Samuel Owusu was first to the rebound and headed into the open goal, giving Ghana the crucial lead.

 

Desperate to get back in the match, Angola worked down the right wing, hoping to find a chink in the Ghanaian defence. Djalma found a cross into Geraldo in the 35th minute, only for the ball to head straight to Ofori.

 

With four minutes left in the half, Jordan Ayew had a shot hit the post. With Cabaça way out of position, the Ghanaian striker was able to follow up the shot, and, like Owusu, header the ball for home.

 

Angola had to get a goal back before the break, and nearly did when Mateus found a through ball to Geraldo, whose left foot nearly defeated Ofori.

 

Then, Djalma crossed perfectly again right at the end of the half to Kulembé, but his header proved off target, and Ghana took a two-nil lead into the break.

 

Both sides took control of small periods in the second half, and it was not until the 62nd minute that Owusu had another shot, with Cabaça saving the ball out for a corner.

 

Ghana maintained possession but were unable to score again, though Jordan Ayew had a chance go begging in additional time. Still, the two-goal win was a solid result for the West Africans as they were cheered off the ground, ready to prepare for their next match.

 

Important aspects of the match:

18th-minute goal by Owusu.

41st-minute goal for Jordan Ayew.

Yellow card in the 65th minute to Lumor Agbenyenu.

 

Andre Ayew was substituted early for Ghana.

Ghana had 55% possession.

Ghana had two more shots and four more shots on target.

 

Ghana’s best afield: Kasim Nuhu in central defence with eight tackles, three key clearances and an intercept; Emmanuel Boateng with his assist and equal most dribbles overall; Jordan Ayew with his goal; Owusu with his goal.

Thomas Partey with most passes overall and equal most dribbles overall.

Mubarak Wakaso with equal most dribbles overall.

Andy Yiadom with three key intercepts and a clearance.

Ofori with four clearances in goal.

 

Angola’s best afield: Show with most passes, equal most tackles and equal most dribbles for Angola; Djalma with his three successful crosses; Dani Massunguna in central defence with equal most tackles for Angola as well as three key clearances ad two intercepts.

Kulembé with equal most dribbles for Angola.

Bastos with three key clearances and two intercepts.

Isaac Correia with two intercepts and two clearances.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on June 19, 2020
Last Updated on June 19, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing