AFCON 2020 Match 7: Madagascar’s Baggio Scores Late Final-Minute Goal to Draw with Uganda

AFCON 2020 Match 7: Madagascar’s Baggio Scores Late Final-Minute Goal to Draw with Uganda

A Chapter by Steve Clark

AFCON 2020 Match 7: Uganda v Madagascar

Madagascar’s Baggio Scores Late Final-Minute Goal to Draw with Uganda

June 16, 2020

Uganda 1 Madagascar 1

 

Madagascar substitute Romario Baggio scored in the 90th minute to gain a vital point against Uganda.

 

A little mishap between Madagascar goalkeeper and defender nearly brought about the error that Uganda needed to open the scoring.

 

Lalaïna Nomenjanahary neared scored instead for Madagascar when his free kick needed a choice Charles Lukwago save.

 

Farouk Miya thought he had scored for Uganda in the 35th minute, only he was offside as Emmanuel Okwi crossed the ball to his head.

 

Timothy Awany needed to come on for Mustafa Kizza with his injury after a collision.

 

Miya then stepped up for a goal in the 39th minute after a one-two combination with Patrick Kaddu, cutting back to the 18-yard box from the right wing and curling with his left around the Madagascan goalkeeper.

 

Seeking the equaliser, Paulin Voavy shot from the tightest of angles, but the ball flew across the face of goal.

 

After the break, Madagascar ramped up the pressure, only it took until the 61st minute to have a shot. That shot, by Carolus Andriamatsinoro, flew to the right of goal after the through ball found him in the top left quadrant of the 18-yard box.

 

Captain Faneva Imà Andriatsima was found alone running direct for goal; his sliding shot brought about another quality save from Lukwago.

 

Madagascar should have had their levelling goal when substitute Romario Baggio stole the ball on the edge of the box. He set up Nomenjanahary, who also had a sliding shot. Lukwago managed to get enough on the ball; however, it rebounded off Nomenjanahary towards Njiva Rakotoharimalala. He tapped the ball in the direction of the goal, only for Lukwago to hustle back and dive to hit the ball away before it crossed the line.

 

Rakotoharimalala had another attempt, this time with his head, but the assistant referee deemed him offside.

 

Somehow, the equaliser came in the final minute of regulation time. Rakotoharimalala crossed to no one from the left wing. The Ugandans took their time clearing the ball, with Awany going to clear, only for substitute Ando Rakotondrazaka to slide tackle, and in the process, pass the ball to a free Baggio. He turned around and shot before an advancing Lukwago had time to close him down, with the ball sailing under the goalkeeper’s armpit and into the back of the net.

 

Madagascar deserved the draw, though Uganda’s defence did hold firm for the majority of the second half. It was a simple error that helped Madagascar find the edge and be able to draw level right at the death.

 

Important aspects of the match:

15th-minute yellow card to Ugandan Mustafa Kizza.

39th-minute goal for Miya.

90th-minute goal for Baggio.

 

Madagascar had five more shots and three more shots on target.

Uganda had 55% possession and a 7% better passing accuracy.

Uganda will need their strikers to step up, with only two shots at goal, and they both came from Miya.

 

Uganda’s best afield: Lukwago with eight saves; Miya with his goal; Allen Okello with most passes overall, three key intercepts and two clearances; Kaddu with his assist.

Okwi with the most dribbles overall.

Geoffrey Walusimbi with three crosses from the left wing; only none reached their intended target.

John Revita with three key clearances and two intercepts.

 

Madagascar’s best afield: Baggio with the equalising goal; Melvin Adrien in goals with three saves; Anicet Abel; Ibrahim Amada with most passes and dribbles for his side.

Rakotoharimalala with most tackles overall.

Thomas Fontaine, Romain Métanire and Pascal Razakanantenaina with two key clearances and two intercepts each.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on June 19, 2020
Last Updated on June 19, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing