AFCON 2020 Match 10: Drawn Opening Match Between Chad and Gambia

AFCON 2020 Match 10: Drawn Opening Match Between Chad and Gambia

A Chapter by Steve Clark

AFCON 2020 Match 10: Chad v Gambia

Drawn Opening Match Between Chad and Gambia

June 17, 2020

Chad 1 Gambia 1

 

Chad and the Gambia both scored in the first half to gain a point each in their Group E AFCON 2020 opener.

 

Both sides knew a loss would almost end their campaign, since South Africa and Nigeria were the other two sides in Group E and it was unlikely they would gain three points against such teams.

 

The Gambia’s Assan Ceesay started on the brightest of notes, scoring in the third minute with his header receiving the cross from the right wing and ruffling the back of the net.

 

Chad worked to respond and Éric Mbangossoum had his shot parried away by Moudou Jobe.

 

In the 17th minute, two of Chad’s shots were blocked. From the corner off the second shot, Morgan Betorangal also had his shot from outside the box blocked.

 

Two minutes later, Karl Max Barthélémy equalised, with the ball crossed from the left wing, and he made no mistake with his header.

 

The Gambia’s Musa Barrow attempted a sliding shot with his back almost to the goal, only for that to be blocked by the Chadian defence.

 

Both sides continued to attack for the remainder of the half, but neither could get close enough to shoot.

 

After the break, defensive structures reigned supreme until the 76th minute, where Lamin Jallow set up Ceesay, only for the ball to come so fast that the striker had no time to angle his foot and thus the ball towards goal.

 

Instead, neither side celebrated as the match ended one-all, with both coaches sensing they will not be gracing the latter AFCON stages, unless one of them can pull off a victory against the African juggernauts in South Africa or Nigeria.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Ceesay’s goal in the third minute for the Gambia.

Barthélémy’s goal in the 19th minute for Chad.

 

Chad had two more shots on target.

Gambia had 56% possession and nine more tackles, as well as 11% better passing accuracy.

 

Chad’s best afield: Marcel Ninga in central defence with five intercepts, two clearances and a block; Mbangossoum with most passes and dribbles for Chad, as well as equal most tackles overall; Brahim Ngaroudal with five intercepts and a clearance, as well as a key pass into attack.

Betorangal with four key intercepts and a clearance.

 

Gambia’s best afield: Sulayman Bojang at right back with the goal assist and equal most tackles overall, as well as three clearances and two intercepts; Ceesay with his goal; Omar Colley in central defence with four key intercepts, three clearances and two blocks.

Dawda Ngum with most passes and dribbles overall.

Bubacarr Sanneh with four key clearances and an intercept.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on June 19, 2020
Last Updated on June 19, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing