Euro 2020 Match 1: Three First-Half Goals for Belgium in Euro 2020 Opening Match

Euro 2020 Match 1: Three First-Half Goals for Belgium in Euro 2020 Opening Match

A Chapter by Steve Clark

Euro 2020 Match 1: Belgium v Italy

Three First-Half Goals for Belgium in Euro 2020 Opening Match

June 14, 2020

Belgium 4 Italy 1

 

Belgium started their Euro campaign in emphatic style with three first-half goals against a struggling Italy.

 

Playing at home, the Belgians looked at ease across the park, especially down the left wing, dominating the Italians and scoring four goals before the final whistle.

 

However, it did not look this way early when Lorenzo Insigne led onto the through ball from Federico Bernardeschi, and as he gained control, sensed Thibaut Courtois approaching. With his right, Insigne chipped, only to hit the left-hand post and Courtois safely secured the ball as he returned towards the goal.

 

At the other end, Romelu Lukaku caught a backhell pass, and instantly placed the ball in the path of Eden Hazard. However, the left winger was deemed offside. The shot, though, was a sign of things to come, with such power and precision soon becoming the order on the Belgian menu.

 

Belgium attacked once more, only for the Italian back three to hold firm in defence. This was soon to change.

 

To overcome the Belgian back three, Italy worked the ball to Ciro Immobile, utilising his skills. On the second advancement via Immobile, the striker managed to pass to Federico Chiesa, whose shot required a Courtois save.

 

Belgium countered down the left wing, where Hazard won the battle against his marking man. With the defender out of the way, he sighted Lukaku at the top of the 18-yard box and passed to him. The striker eased the ball with his left boot across and out of reach of a diving Gianluigi Donnarumma, opening the scoring for the home side.

 

Another defensive blunder resulted in a second goal for Lukaku, this time pushing the ball from right to left and tucking it inside the post. The Italian coach made immediate changes, switching to a 4-4-2 formation in the hopes of killing off the Belgian advances.

 

Minutes later, Jorginho advanced the play for Italy, attempting to work his side back into the match. His long ball from left midfield found Immobile, though the striker had little time to shoot before Courtois closed him down.

 

As the half hour mark ticked over, Belgium attacked down the left side of the field. With the Italians not committing to tackles, the Belgians advanced until Youri Tielemans was found free, and he took possession of the ball, allowing it to roll to his left as he turned to goal. Two small movements gained himself a greater advantage and he fired for goal, giving Belgium their third for the match.

 

Italy held their own for the next few minutes before taking control of the midfield, with the ball ending at the feet of Insigne, only for his shot to fly to the right of goal. Whether it was the fact he was too far out and thus gave too much power, or the sheer Belgian defensive pressure, or the three-goal margin, it mattered little as Belgium set up for another attack.

 

It was not to be, as well as for the Italians, with another fiery shot from Insigne parried by Courtois to relative safety.

 

With the emphatic lead at the break, Belgium looked to hold possession in the early stages of the second half, easily working around an Italian side devoid of confidence. The midfielders lined up to score at one point, only for none of them to find a true position to score. Lukaku had a half-shot in the 54th minute, only for Donnarumma to smack his shot away.

 

Down the other end, Insigne and Immobile kept striving, only for the latter to be deemed offside when it seemed the Italians might wrestle back a goal.

 

Minutes later, Jan Vertonghen went for a run up the field, but when the Italians retrieved the ball, more players were forward of the ball. They advanced but could not gain territory into the 18-yard box.

 

Belgium then took possession of the ball, working through the middle of the park. Tielemans cut the ball to Axel Witsel, who quickly turned and sliced the ball futher along to a leading Kevin de Bruyne. He took one touch inside the box and fired with his left before Leonadro Bonucci could close him down, and received an ovation from the Belgian crowd as the scoreboard ticked over to four goals for the hosts.

 

Deflated, an injured Immobile responded when he drifted to the corner of the 6-yard box and waited for the ball to come to him. A quick ball movement outsmarted the Belgian defence and the shot ensured the back of the net was finally ruffled.

 

Unperturbed, Belgium settled into a game of possession to retrieve the lost momentum. The home side eased down both wings, finally finding another avenue down the left wing, with Hazard crossing the ball into the box, where he found no teammate. Eventually, de Bruyne was found with a pass back from substitute Divock Origi only to have his shot blocked. Hazard received the ball minutes later as it rose and fell. He followed the 18-yard line before shooting wide of the mark.

 

Neither side looked the goods for the final eight minutes, and as the whistle blew, Belgium celebrated the best start possible on the road to potential Euro 2020 champions.

 

Important aspects of the match:

18th-minute goal from Lukaku.

22nd-minute goal from Lukaku.

32nd-minute from Tielemans.

68th-minute goal from de Bruyne.

70th-minute goal from Immobile.

 

Belgium had 55% possession and three more shots on target.

 

Belgium’s best afield: Lukaku with his brace and equal most passes for Belgium; de Bruyne with his goal and assist; Dries Mertens with his assist and equal most passes and most dribbles for Belgium; Tielemans with his goal; Thomas Vermaelen in central defence with most tackles overall.

Vertonghen with three key intercepts and a clearance.

 

Italy’s best afield: Andrea Belotti with his assist; Bernardeschi with most passes and dribbles overall, as well as most tackles for Italy; Immobile with his goal.

 

Emerson Palmieri is sure to be on the sidelines for the next match after a shocking first half.



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on September 4, 2020
Last Updated on September 4, 2020

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing