March 8 to 14, 2021 Global Futbol Matches (Asian WCQ)

March 8 to 14, 2021 Global Futbol Matches (Asian WCQ)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2021.

"

March 8 to 14, 2021 (World Cup Qualifiers [Asia])

 

World Cup Qualifiers

The third World Cup Qualifiers Match Day in the Asian group stages took place this week, having not played for a year.

 

In Group B, Lebanon flew to Pakistan and started as the better of the two sides, only to miss key opportunities. In the second half, Pakistan had all the play and forward momentum, using the left flank as their main thrusts toward goal. However, the Lebanese held firm, including one spectacular clearance from the goal line, and were able to come away with a vital away draw. This was Pakistan’s third draw in a row.

 

South Korea travelled to Cambodia, looking to stamp their authority in the group with a solid win. The pressure mounted in the first half was a delight to see; what was also a delight was Cambodia’s ability to hold the Koreans off (with the help of the post, of course). Cambodia had their chances to score as well, including from their right back Saret Krya. After the break, the match was played mostly in the middle of the park, with neither side finding the edge. That came the way of the hosts as Reung Bunheing won the ball in the 80th minute and somehow reached his first touch before the Korean goalkeeper, slotting home the most surprising of goals. Ahead, Cambodia doubled down in defence, and though the Koreans got off a shot near the end, it sailed over the crossbar, and Cambodia had an emphatic three points under their belt.

 

At the halfway stage, Group B has one point separating all four nations. This group may come down to the last match day to see one country progressing to the Playoff stage.

 

 

Asian WCQ Gr B

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

South Korea

3

1

1

1

4

+2

2

Lebanon

3

1

1

1

4

0

3

Cambodia

3

1

1

1

4

-2

4

Pakistan

3

0

3

0

3

0

 

Group C’s Iran managed to score in the 25th minute via Mohamad Mohebi to set up a win against Indonesia. However, the Indonesian goalkeeper managed to stop the remainder of the attempts on goal and won the respect of the Iranian crowd as the hosts failed to score another goal.

 

As the away team, Syria made light work of Bahrain as they scored in the 40th minute via Omar Al Somah and from there, kept the hosts away from goal. Bahrain looked out of sorts, fouling often in the first half. After going down a goal, they struggled to get in a position to score, and thus dropped a vital three points that could have set them up well for the second half of the group stage.

 

Instead, Iran and Syria are level on points and goal difference, rivalling for first place. One more loss for Bahrain and Indonesia and they will be kissing their World Cup campaign goodbye.

 

 

Asian WCQ Gr C

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Iran

3

2

1

0

7

+3

2

Syria

3

2

1

0

7

+3

3

Bahrain

3

0

1

2

1

-3

4

Indonesia

3

0

1

2

1

-3

 

In Group D, Hong Kong worked tirelessly to penetrate the Philippines’ back five. When they managed to do so, their shots were off target. Both sides had chances in the latter stages of the second half, only for the match to end in a scoreless draw.

 

Palestine scored once in each half to set up a 2-0 win over Saudi Arabia at home. The Saudis looked dangerous in pockets, only for Palestine to capitalise on their chances. Islam Batran was found with a choice through ball and he made no mistake. In the second half, as Palestine clamped down for the win, Mohammed Bassim ran all the way from left back to the edge of the box and put the shot out of reach of the Saudi goalkeeper. From there, the hosts held on for the three points and took first place in the group at the halfway mark.

 

 

Asian WCQ Gr D

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Palestine

3

2

1

0

7

+3

2

Saudi Arabia

3

2

0

1

6

+1

3

Philippines

3

0

2

1

2

-1

4

Hong Kong

3

0

1

2

1

-3

 

Vietnam and the Kyrgyz Republic fought hard for a 1-1 draw in Group G. The visitors looked dangerous early, before Vietnam settled into an attacking formation. Straight after the break, Vietnam charged with little relent, only for Kyrgyzstan’s defence to block each shot. Then, Odiljon Abdurakhmanov came off the bench and headed home the opener. Substitute Văn Kiên Trần managed to snag the Vietnamese level five minutes from the end and salvage a vital draw.

 

Oman lost at home by a solitary goal to Japan in their third match of the Qualifiers. Takumi Minamino easily scored in the sixth minute, giving Japan the edge. Oman worked for the equaliser, and should have scored in the second half, only to fall short of the mark. In the end, Japan’s prowess shone through in the performance, giving them a vital away victory.

 

 

Asian WCQ Gr G

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Japan

3

2

1

0

7

+3

2

Kyrgyz Republic

3

1

1

1

4

+1

3

Oman

3

1

0

2

3

0

4

Vietnam

3

0

2

1

2

-4

 

In Group F, Anirudh Thapa finished off a great team play to help India defeat Afghanistan. Both sides looked settled early, but once the Thapa goal came to fruition, India controlled the remainder of the match. Another goal should have been scored, though as the game neared the end, the hosts were content to play for the 1-0 win.

 

Mongolia frustrated Australia in their match by keeping possession of the ball and probing for a weakness in defence. Though they found it, the shots were too far from goal and provided easy pickings for goalkeeper Mat Ryan. However, on the stroke of halftime, Mongolia capitalised on a breakdown at right back and Narmandakh Artag gave the Mongolians the lead. The Australians worked into the game, and soon had an equaliser when Mat Leckie was found alone in the box and his left foot made no mistake. Australia had the upper hand from that moment, leading to a shot that smacked the crossbar. However, the match ended 1-1, much to the delight of the home fans, as they knew they kept the Socceroos away from top spot.

 

 

Asian WCQ Gr F

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

India

3

2

0

1

6

+1

2

Australia

3

1

1

1

4

+2

3

Mongolia

3

1

1

1

4

-1

4

Afghanistan

3

1

0

2

3

-2

 

In Group H, Nico Yennaris scored twice in the first half hour in China’s home match against Timor-Leste. Though China kept the ball down their half for most of the match, the strikers and their teammates were unable to score beyond the two, largely thanks to desperate defending and goalkeeping. Yennaris’s first was him reaching the ball in the box before anyone else and with his first touch, slotting it home. His second was a well-placed header after the ball was crossed in from the right wing. Timor-Leste had a chance to draw back a goal late when overzealous defending gave the visitors a penalty. However, the strike hit the crossbar, and the Chinese defence managed to clear the ball to safety. 2-0 was the final score.

 

The Maldives scored in the 63rd minute via Ahmed Rizuvan to set up a win over Iraq. Both sides had chances early to take the lead, only to miss. Soon the Maldives had control of the match, working hard against the back five of Iraq. When the ball hit the post from a glorious shot, it seemed like luck would go against the hosts; however, Rizuvan’s header off a corner ensured the three points were all theirs.

 

 

Asian WCQ Gr H

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

China

3

2

1

0

7

+3

2

Iraq

3

1

1

1

4

+1

3

Maldives

3

1

0

2

3

-1

4

Timor-Leste

3

1

0

2

3

-3

 

Like the Maldives, Myanmar also gained a 1-0 home victory over a 2018 World Cup side; North Korea being on the receiving end. Both nations fumbled chances early before Myanmar worked into the game and had almost complete control of the match, though not on the scoreboard. North Korea’s best opportunity was deemed offside, before David Htan pocketed a free kick in the top right-hand corner from right in front of goal to seal the three points for the South-East Asians.

 

Faisal Al Harbi and Bader Al Mutawa both scored for Kuwait as they saw off a lacklustre Yemen side in their first win in Group E. The score should have been three in the second half, only for the Yemeni goalkeeper to earn his paycheck. Al Harbi’s goal came off a corner in the 27th minute, while Al Mutawa also headered his goal, being the only player near the initial goalkeeping save.

 

 

Asian WCQ Gr E

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

North Korea

3

2

0

1

6

+1

2

Kuwait

3

1

1

1

4

+1

3

Myanmar

3

1

1

1

4

0

4

Yemen

3

1

0

2

3

-2

 

 

In Group A, Laos threw everything at the Guam goal, resulting in three injuries throughout the match. That tough stance in attack brought about a goal in the 43rd minute via Manolom Phetphakdy. Laos should have had more, only for blocks and missed shots to be the order of the day across both halves.

 

Uzbekistan squandered early chances in the first half of their home game against the UAE, leading to a tight second half where neither side looked like scoring. In the end, the match finished in a scoreless draw, setting up a tight final three match days in the group.

 

 

Asian WCQ Gr A

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

UAE

3

2

1

0

7

+3

2

Uzbekistan

3

1

2

0

5

+2

3

Laos

3

1

1

1

4

-1

4

Guam

3

0

0

3

0

-4

 

 

March 10

World Cup Qualifiers (Asia Match Day 5)

Group B

· Pakistan 0 Lebanon 0

· Cambodia 1 South Korea 0

Group C

· Iran 1 Indonesia 0

· Bahrain 0 Syria 1

Group D

· Hong Kong 0 Philippines 0

· Palestine 2 Saudi Arabia 0

Group F

· India 1 Afghanistan 0

· Mongolia 1 Australia 1

Group G

· Vietnam 1 Kyrgyzstan 1

· Oman 0 Japan 1

Group H

· China 2 East Timor 0

· Maldives 1 Iraq 0

 

March 11

World Cup Qualifiers (Asia Match Day 5)

Group E

· Kuwait 2 Yemen 0

· Myanmar 1 North Korea 0

 

March 12

World Cup Qualifiers (Asia Match Day 5)

Group A

· Laos 1 Guam 0

· Uzbekistan 0 UAE 0

 



© 2021 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on May 8, 2021
Last Updated on May 8, 2021


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing