AFCON 2020 Match 16: Two-Goal Win for Cameroon over Rwanda

AFCON 2020 Match 16: Two-Goal Win for Cameroon over Rwanda

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Match 16: Cameroon v Rwanda

Two-Goal Win for Cameroon over Rwanda

June 20, 2020

Cameroon 2 Rwanda 0

 

Cameroon defeated Rwanda with two early goals in the second AFCON match, replicating the same scoreline against Zambia in their first.

 

Rwanda maintained the same starting eleven as they produced in their Benin draw, while Vincent Aboubakar came into the side for the slightly injured Karl Toko Ekambi.

 

Christian Bassogog scored for Cameroon in the third minute as the African powerhouses looked to assert their dominance from the outset. Bassogog wrong-footed the defence with relative ease and then shot into the net with the same level of bravado.

 

André-Frank Zambo Anguissa then tried from long range straight after the restart, only for his right boot to miss to the left of goal.

 

Bassogog could have had his second in the seventh minute, but the shot flew wide.

 

Instead, it was Aboubakar in the 22nd minute who was found alone near the penalty spot. He punted the ball out of range of the Rwandan goalkeeper, and Cameroon had their two goal-lead.

 

The Cameroonian midfielders tried to gift Aboubakar more of the ball, though with the striker playing the solitary role in the team, the Rwandan defence managed to cut off any through balls. Instead, working down the wing brought more opportunities, though captain Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting’s header attempt in the 34th minute brought about an injury to the talisman.

 

A momentary spark for Rwanda saw Djihad Bizimana try for goal, only for Cameroon’s André Onana to halt the shot.

 

After the break, Cameroon increased their possession play as they toyed with the Rwandan defence, before crossing into Aboubakar, whose header just missed the goals.

 

The match soon styled a hefty amount of wing-based play, with neither side able to penetrate the back four. In the 65th minute, Eric Nsabimana managed a long-range shot, only the power of the shot could not overcome Onana.

 

Down the other end, Anguissa should have scored Cameroon’s third when he was gifted a shot just inside the 18-yard box. Instead, the ball overshot the crossbar.

 

With just over thirteen minutes remaining, Rwanda threw caution to the wind, switching Dominique Savio Nshuti at left back in the hope of running plays down that wing. However, it did expose the defence as Cameroon kept up the pressure for a third goal. Ekambi came off the bench and was set up by his fellow substitute, Olivier Boumal, only to shoot wide of the mark.

 

Cameroon soon embraced the final whistle, content with the 2-0 scoreline, as well as a place in the Round of 16.

 

Important aspects of the match:

Bassogog’s goal in the 3rd minute.

Aboubakar’s goal in the 22nd.

Yellow card to Pierre Kunde in the 86th minute.

Only one shot on target for Rwanda compared with four for Cameroon.

 

Cameroon’s best afield: Onana with three saves, Kunde with both assists; Anguissa with most passes and dribbles for Cameroon, as well as most tackles overall alongside Ambroise Oyongo.

Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui with three key intercepts and two clearances.

 

Rwanda’s best was Abdul Rwatubyaye in defence with six key intercepts and two clearances; Olivier Niyonzima with most passes overall; Bizimana with most successful dribbles overall.

 

 

Group B

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Cameroon

2

2

0

0

6

+4

2

Benin

2

1

1

0

4

+2

3

Rwanda

2

0

1

1

1

-2

4

Zambia

2

0

0

2

0

-4



© 2021 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on September 17, 2021
Last Updated on September 17, 2021

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing