May 11 to June 13, 2020 (Inter-Nations League)

May 11 to June 13, 2020 (Inter-Nations League)

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

May 11 to June 13, 2020 (Inter-Nations League)

 

Group A

The Inter-Nations League hit the penultimate period of the Group Stages, with matches played on African and European soil. Towards the end, matches in North and South America took place as a precursor to the Copa America.

 

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

Czech Republic

Netherlands

England

Germany

Chile

Brazil

Colombia

Ecuador

South Korea

Japan

Pakistan

Bahrain

Egypt

Ghana

Côte d’Ivoire

Cameroon

Costa Rica

New Zealand

Fiji

Vanuatu

 

Jamaica

Mexico

USA

 

Each team in Group A, aside from South Korea, had only played one game up until this stage.

 

Egypt first hosted the Czechs, holding most of the possession in the first half, while the Czechs had more attempts on goal. It took the second half for the scoreboard to be affected; Jan Bořil headed home the first goal straight after halftime, before Mohamed Salah slotted a penalty after a contest in the box from a free kick fell the way of the Egyptians. Neither side gained the upper hand, and the match ended in a draw.

 

Egypt made three changes for their Costa Rica match, including Salah, thanks to an injury against the Czechs. Costa Rica’s back five held off Egypt for long stretches of the match. The Egyptians should have won via a Tarek Hamed penalty, only for it to be saved. The match finished a scoreless draw.

 

Egypt flew to the Czech Republic, where the hosts made two changes from their previous encounter. Egypt, meanwhile, made a raft of changes in the hope of gaining their first win. The Czechs, however, utilised through balls to exploit gaps in the Egyptian defence. This led to goals from Tomáš Souček, Antonín Barák and a brace for Tomáš Pekhart.

 

The Czechs were then shocked in their next match against Chile, where the visitors went up two goals early, thanks to Nicolas Castillo and Alexis Sánchez’s penalty. Pekhart should have snagged a goal back in the first half after being rewarded a penalty; instead, Claudio Bravo made the crucial save. From there, the Chileans held that two-goal lead intact.

 

Egypt needed a desperate win against South Korea, though once again, a scoreless draw came their way, with Salah’s three shots missing to the right of goal.

 

In June, Egypt hosted Chile, where Chile brought back Gary Medel from suspension. Trezeguet returned to the side and rewarded the comeback with a goal in the thirteenth minute (the only goal for the match).

 

The second half between the Czechs and Costa Rica saw three goals; Vladimír Darida won a contest against the Central American goalkeeper, before Barák returned from injury and scored to double the lead. Costa Rica’s Johan Venegas scored from long range to bring tension to the final minutes, but the Czechs held on for the three points.

 

South Korea travelled to the Czech Republic, hoping to gain a vital point. After going a goal down early thanks to Patrik Schick’s wonder header, South Korea’s Lee Jae-sung equalised. The Koreans should have scored to take the three points, only for the hosts to hold firm.

 

Costa Rica and Chile played each other twice to round out Group A’s June matches. Costa Rica held on for a draw in the first match. Chile then made a number of changes in the hope of bagging a win in preparation for the Copa America. Sánchez set the bar high with his goal in the 40th minute. However, a penalty scored by Venegas meant the game also ended in a draw.

 

After all that, the table remained unchanged.

 

The Czechs now take on Germany, Montenegro and Hungary in Euro 2020. Chile face Argentina, Venezuela and Bermuda in the Copa America, while Costa Rica will have to compete well against Ecuador, Uruguay and Honduras. Egypt host the African Cup of Nations and must overcome Mali, the Sudan and São Tomé and Príncipe in Group A.

 

 

Group A

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

South Korea

6

2

4

0

10

+2

2

Czech Republic

6

2

3

1

9

+3

3

Chile

5

1

3

1

6

+1

4

Egypt

6

1

3

2

6

-4

5

Costa Rica

5

0

3

2

3

-2

 

Attention in Group B turned to the matches played in the Netherlands and Ghana. The two nations faced off first in western Africa, with Ghana hoping to gain their first points for the tournament. They did it in style, scoring thrice against the Dutch. Stalwart Andre Ayew opened the tale in the tenth minute, before Emmanuel Lomotey and Tarique Fosu scored in their first major competitive matches.

 

Ghana made two changes for their match against Jamaica, but it was Leon Bailey who scored first for the visitors. Augustine Okrah, in his first start, then won the match for Ghana, scoring an epic brace.

 

The Netherlands made four changes as they hosted Ghana, hoping to bounce back after their previous match. However, Okrah scored his third goal in two games to give Ghana the edge. Substitute Calvin Stengs equalised, giving the Dutch hope. However, Jordan Ayew bagged the follow up after his penalty kick was initially saved by Tim Krul.

 

The Dutch struggled against the Brazilians three days later, also losing 2-1. Roberto Firmino opened the scoring before Georginio Wijnaldum pegged one back. The Netherlands should have taken the lead on multiple occasions, only for Alex Sandro to nail the winner for Brazil.

 

Memphis Depay finally got on the scoreboard for the Dutch with a hat trick against New Zealand. Similarly, Quincy Promes scored after a lean stint, giving their side a slim hope of advancing to the Quarter Finals.

 

Japan flew to Ghana, only for the hosts to score once in each half via Afriyie Acquah and Jordan Ayew. The margin, though, should have been higher, as the Ghanaians hit the woodwork multiple times, as well as Ayew’s missed penalty.

 

The Netherlands finally produced two wins in a row with a 2-0 win over Jamaica. Steven Bergwijn and Wijnaldum both scored, only, like Ghana, they failed to capitalise on the chances provided.

 

Ghana lost 1-0 to Brazil in their next match, thanks to a Gabriel Jesus goal. The western Africans then made changes for their match against New Zealand, but fatigue still took over as New Zealand started their match with a goal for Chris Wood. It took until late in the match for substitute Samuel Owusu to draw level, and once again, the woodwork denied the hosts a victory.

 

As for the Dutch, their final home game was also affected by fatigue, as Daichi Kamada scored just before halftime to help Japan overcome the Netherlands by a solitary goal.

 

Both Brazil and Jamaica faced off with a different side, one that resembled the outlook for the upcoming Copa America. Jamaica had early chances, though it was not long before Brazil had the upper hand throughout the remainder of the match. However, the new combinations took time to adjust, before Fred came from left midfield and snagged a goal, the only one for the match.

 

Jamaica returned home to face Japan with the same line up. However, the hosts struggled to penetrate towards goal, and Japan came away with a solid and vital draw in their second-to-last match of the group stage. Jamaica, however, came away with an injury to left attacking midfielder Junior Flemmings. Though in last place, Jamaica felt confident entering the throes of the Copa America for the first time.

 

Brazil prepared for the same tournament with an easy match against New Zealand. Richarlison scored with his head in the first half, before a Neymar brace helped the hosts carry momentum into the upcoming tournament.

 

Ghana face Angola, Uganda and Madagascar in the upcoming AFCON tournament, while the Dutch have France, Turkey and Romania in a tight Euro group that anyone can win.

 

 

Group B

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Japan

9

5

3

1

18

+7

2

Brazil

6

5

1

0

16

+7

3

Ghana

8

4

1

3

13

+4

4

Netherlands

8

3

0

5

9

0

5

New Zealand

9

1

2

6

5

-14

6

Jamaica

6

0

3

3

3

-4

 

Côte d’Ivoire took the match to England in their first home game of Group C; the 3-4-3 formation revealed before the match suggesting the hosts would not hold back. That proved the case as Serey Dié scored in the first half, before Nicolas Pépé doubled the lead in the second. England pegged one back via substitute James Ward-Prowse; however, it was the Ivoirians that came out on top.

 

Pépé then backed up again for Côte d’Ivoire against Mexico with a brace in the first half, including a high-quality penalty. Mexico’s Raúl Jiménez pegged back a goal in the second half, and though Pépé should have had a hat trick, the hosts held to that lead for the rest of the match.

 

The Ivoirians made minor changes to both wings as they sought an away result against England. That came to fruition as Maxwel Cornet scored a hat trick, including a penalty. Declan Rice brought the score back to 2-1, only for Cornet to wreak havoc with the English defence to end the match 3-1.

 

England changed their defence and attack for their match against Colombia, and Raheem Sterling’s sheer grit brought about a 4-0 victory. Sterling got the ball rolling with a goal, before Kalvin Phillips won a penalty, which Harry Kane ensured tucked the inside of the post before crossing the goal line. Kyle Walker and Rice then scored in the second half to bring some confidence back to the English after their two losses to the Ivoirians.

 

All that came crashing down as they drew 1-1 against Fiji. It took Sterling to break the deadlock, despite many chances to score, in the 67th minute. Substitute Christopher Wasasala, however, had other ideas, and Fiji came away with a solid draw.

 

Côte d’Ivoire were brought off the high experienced from their England wins with a grinding 1-0 victory over Pakistan. The visitors thought they had the lead early, only for their players to be deemed offside. Gervinho came off the bench and managed to score the only goal, though Cornet should have doubled the lead, only to gift the Pakistani goalkeeper a save off his penalty kick.

 

In June, England faced Mexico, with Bakayo Saka entering the fray for the first time. His goal equalised for the hosts after Jose Macías caught the English unawares in the fifteenth minute. Kane then bagged a brace after Saka’s goal, resulting in a solid 3-1 turnaround win.

 

Côte d’Ivoire made three changes for their match against Colombia. That seemed to pay off as the visitors gave away two early penalties, which Pépé easily snagged. When all seemed lost for Colombia, James Rodríguez stepped up twice to equalise by the 89th minute, and from there, Côte d’Ivoire could not complete another win.

 

Saka also gained a goal in the second half against a defiant Pakistan. Eventually, Marcus Rashford came off the bench and nailed a second, though the English players looked fatigued after a long campaign.

 

The Ivoirians did not look as fatigued as Sebastien Haller gained a brace, his first ever for the national side. Pépé bookended Haller’s goals with his own brace, as the 4-0 was a satisfactory result against Fiji.

 

Both Colombia and Mexico made changes in preparation for the Copa America, solidifying their sides as they prepared to face each other later in the tournament. Daniel Zapata capped off two goals where the lead up was the same: Juan Cuadrado’s shots earned Colombia corners, where Rodríguez then delivered the ball straight to the head of Zapata. Mexican substitute Hirving Lozano earned a goal back, only for Zapata to cap off a wonderful hat trick.

 

Mexico needed a giant win against Pakistan as a starting point for their home games, as well as build momentum for the Copa America. Jonathan Dos Santos and Jesús Manuel Corona both scored to ensure the three points, but the Mexicans should have won by more.

 

Colombia also wanted more momentum running into the tournament, especially as partial hosts, and Rodríguez, Luis Díaz and substitute Mateus Uribe all scored against Fiji to win by three goals.

 

Will Colombia and Mexico catch the Ivoirians and English?

 

 

Group C

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Côte d’Ivoire

8

6

2

0

20

+12

2

England

8

5

1

2

16

+8

3

Fiji

9

3

2

4

11

-8

4

Colombia

6

3

1

2

10

+6

5

Mexico

6

3

0

3

9

+2

6

Pakistan

9

0

0

9

0

-20

 

Germany and Cameroon, already on top of Group D with two wins, faced their series of home matches. Cameroon, being the host side in the opening match of this period, had more chances in the first half, thanks to through balls to striker Vincent Aboubakar. However, Germany won back possession in the third quarter of the match and worked hard down the left wing. This paid off as the pressure became too great for the Cameroonians, and Suat Serdar stepped up to score a goal. From there, Germany held on for their third away win.

 

Cameroon made two changes to their line-up against the USA, who put pressure on the Cameroon back-plays early. That forward pressing caught Cameroon’s defence off guard, and soon Ricardo Pepi gave the visitors the lead. In the second half, though, the referee awarded two penalties to Cameroon, both scored by Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting. The first was a dubious call for an aerial challenge, where it could be argued either player fouled the other. The second was an 87th-minute challenge by goalkeeper Sean Johnson on Aboubakar, catching the striker on his legs without gaining any purchase on the ball. From there, Cameroon played for the 2-1 win.

 

For the Germany-Cameroon return leg, the two sides had the same starting elevens, except for an injured Choupo-Moting. Leroy Sané opened the scoring in the third minute, heading home an initial André Onana save. However, by the nineteenth minute, Cameroon had the lead. Pierre Kunde, who had been attacking from midfield in the first two games, did the same again, only to score this time, before Aboubakar gave the visitors the advantage. The second half, though, belonged to Germany as substitute Kevin Volland and Serge Gnabry both scored inside 90 seconds to ensure Germany had the full three points.

 

Volland was the only goal scorer in Germany’s match against Ecuador. The hosts dominated the 90 minutes, giving Ecuador only one real chance at scoring. Down the other end, Timo Werner should have scored with his two late attempts, only to miss the first and hit the post with the second.

 

For the Vanuatu match three days later, Germany made significant changes to their side. Nadiem Amiri, Werner and substitute Sané all contributed to the scoresheet, but the 3-0 scorecard was not to the standard Germany expected. Germany hit the woodwork four times, and the hosts went away feeling slightly dejected they only scored the three goals.

 

Instead, it was Cameroon with the goal fest as six scorers managed seven goals against Bahrain. Olivier Boumal and Aboubakar scored in the first half, before Christian Bassogog and Arnaud Djoum made it four. Substitutes Georges Mandjeck and André-Frank Zambo Anguissa scored soon after they came off the bench, before Anguissa made it a brace with his head off a corner. Talk about efficiency, because Cameroon scored seven from eight shots on target.

 

The USA then managed to keep Germany scoreless after the hosts switched their side around once again. The Germans hit the woodwork twice as they seemed likely to eventually score, only to not ruffle the net once, as the American goalkeeper Johnson made eight crucial saves.

 

Ecuador also produced an away draw against Cameroon, as Ángel Mena scored in the 20th minute with a powerful first touch as he ran onto a loose ball in the 18-yard box. Cameroon substitute Clinton N’Jie saved the hosts with a glorious header from a corner.

 

Nadiem Amiri and Kevin Volland both scored braces in the first half for Germany against Bahrain as the Europeans guaranteed a top-two finish in Group D. However, the visitors shut up shop in the second half, not allowing another goal past.

 

That second half fightback kept Bahrain off the bottom of the ladder as Vanuatu lost to Cameroon by the same 4-0 margin. Serge Tabekou scored the first and last goal in his first outing in Cameroonian colours. Substitute Choupo-Moting had an impact straight off the bench, and Christian Bassogog bagged another goal to add to his tally.

 

The United States and Ecuador both adjusted their midfield and defence to resemble that which will be seen in the Copa America. However, it was the American midfield that took stock over their opponents. Sebastian Lletget scored a minute from half time to set up a solid second half. Kellyn Acosta made the most of American dominance as he shot after an initial block. Lletget then won a penalty late, which Pepi managed to put away, and give the USA full courage in the lead up to the tournament.

 

Acosta scored the opening goal for the Americans against Bahrain, and it seemed they would easily defeat them. However, the hosts switched off after the break and substitute Thiago Fernandes and Sayed Dhiya Saeed both scored to grasp a come-from-behind victory for Bahrain.

 

Ecuador also had their mindset in the first half on the Copa America, rather than the match against Vanuatu. It took Leonardo Campana coming off the bench and scoring twice to ensure the home side came away with the three points. Theoretically, the South Americans can still win the group, provided Germany lose their last two matches and Ecuador win their final four by large margins. Their realistic sights are more set on overcoming Cameroon, who remain six points and goal difference ahead of them.

 

 

Group D

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Germany

8

7

1

0

22

+14

2

Cameroon

8

5

1

2

16

+13

3

Ecuador

6

3

1

2

10

+1

4

USA

6

2

1

3

7

+8

5

Bahrain

9

2

1

6

7

-16

6

Vanuatu

9

1

1

7

4

-20



© 2021 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

18 Views
Added on October 6, 2021
Last Updated on October 6, 2021

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing