AFCON 2020 Match 17: Ghana v Uganda

AFCON 2020 Match 17: Ghana v Uganda

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2020.

"

AFCON 2020 Match 17: Ghana v Uganda

Andre Ayew Brace the Catalyst for Ghana Win

June 20, 2020

Ghana 4 Uganda 0

 

Andre Ayew scored two goals in Ghana’s match against Uganda as the west Africans nailed four into the back of the net.

 

Uganda and Ghana both made one change in defence but that mattered little as the fourth minute brought Mubarak Wakaso’s goal after he followed behind his teammate. Taking hold of the ball, Wakaso worked around the defence, who initially halted the play, before the midfielder shot with his left boot, opening the tale for the Ghanaians.

 

Even though Ghana took charge of the match early, Uganda also looked dangerous as both sides played the ball deep into the 18-yard box. The east African’s best chance, though, came from Godfrey Walusimbi, who shot from long range and brought Ghanaian goalkeeper Richard Ofori into play.

 

In the 36th minute, Ghana pressed with dribbling prowess, leading to a shot from Jordan Ayew after Wakaso set him up with a beautiful pass. The shot needed a save by Charles Lukwago and a defensive clearance by John Revita.

 

After Uganda gained some possession of the ball in their half, down the other end, Jordan set up his brother Andre, only for the ball to fly wide.

 

Straight after the break the reverse happened where Andre crossed to his brother, only for Jordan’s shot to hit Lukwago’s leg and run out of play. From the corner, Andre ensured he doubled the lead with a brilliant and decisive header into the back of the net.

 

As the match neared the hour mark, Ghana had attempt after attempt as they pooled together for shots on goal. However, all four of them were thwarted. It mattered little because three minutes later Samuel Owusu scored with his left foot from the D right outside the 18-yard box.

 

Owusu should have had a brace moments later where Wakaso’s low cross needed a parry from Lukwago. The ball fell straight Owusu, only for the shot to smash the crossbar and then with the follow-up, the right winger could not header home the ball.

 

 

In the 63rd minutes the mismatch between two sides became evident as Andre Ayew gained his own brace, racing from left midfield to power into the back of the net.

 

Substitute Christian Atsu nearly had a fifth for Ghana in the 71st minute only, for Lukwago to do enough on the shot to send it for a corner. Andre Ayew nearly scored his hat trick; his header hit the top of the post and went out of play.

 

Towards the end, Ayew and Atsu combined to give substitute Joseph Esso a shot on goal, though it was too easy for the Ugandan goalkeeper. Ayew also had a chance late only for his deft touch to be seen and stopped by the goalkeeper in time.

 

Still a four-goal victory ensured Ghana full control of group C.

 

Important aspects of the match:

            Wakaso’s fourth-minute goal.

Player of the Match Andre Ayew’s brace.

Owusu’s goal in the 59th minute.

Walusimbi’s only shot on target for Uganda compared with ten for Ghana.

 

Ghana’s other best: Emmanuel Boateng and Nicholas Opoku with an assist each; Boateng with equal most tackles overall; Joseph Aidoo with most passes overall.

 

Uganda’s best: Lukwago with eleven saves; incoming into defence Hassan Wasswa with equal most tackles, four key clearances and an intercept; Khalid Aucho with most passes completed for Uganda; Allan Okello with most successful dribbles for Uganda.

Revita with five key clearances and four intercepts.

 



© 2021 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

19 Views
Added on October 6, 2021
Last Updated on October 6, 2021

Global Futbol 2020


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing