America the beautiful

America the beautiful

A Poem by The Bleeding Quill

I can't but feel guilty, for the failure I appear to be, given my background.
and I simply can't live up, but don't have the will to give up, my second time around.
So I keep searching, looking for nurturing, in this blissful land.
I do it alone, hoping for a way to atone, with no one this time to hold my hand.
I sold my soul, a long time go, I guess their could be a worse reason why.
But the reason doesn't matter, i know its not mine, no matter how hard i try.
There are no prison camps, there is no slavery, our country is free.
forget the hells in my mind, let go and let time, after all this isn't about me.
I feel guilty being so selfish, watching the girls so restless, wishing i could save them too.
I know what their thinking, its the same thing, they feel guilty for what their going through.
And I can't help but wonder, why we cant help one another, but we know we are wrong for the way we feel.
after all their are so many, less blessed than we, not knowing where will be their next meal.
and our minds keep racing, our feet keep pacing, as we are tortured mentally.
we are the undesirables, not capable of smiles , prosecuted criminally.
While we are exploited, we keep our mouths shut, after all we can't atone.
How can we compare, why would they care? they're bringing the bodies of heroes home.
and is it so egotistic, to find it unrealistic, that they would turn a blind eye?
To the raped and molested, the down trotted the arrested, when more and more soldiers die?
Why can't they see, here is where we need to be, why are we fighting for oil?
There so many problems here they don't seem to be aware, the battles are on our own soil.

© 2010 The Bleeding Quill


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It appears that the task is to conquer abroad and think about home later. You are quite the powerful writer! This is written as if the writer is actually a part of what is going on - and not just witnessing this from afar. I truly love this!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
1 Review
Added on September 8, 2010
Last Updated on September 8, 2010

Author

The Bleeding Quill
The Bleeding Quill

Atlanta, GA



About
21 year old female residing in the heart of Atlanta, I am the mother of a beautiful baby girl. more..

Writing