The Shepherds Passing

The Shepherds Passing

A Story by Norma M Sutton
"

Just a short descriptive piece I am working on.

"
The Shepherd’s Passing

Stars shone down on the hillside.  The sheep grazed nearer and nearer, the dogs drew close, for one last visit, one last touch of the beloved hand, one last lick, face, hands, neck.  An old grey mare stood watch nearby.  Each waited to say a final goodbye.

A soft breeze blew. It circled the glade drawing closer to the shepherd, the flock and protectors.  It was there when the final breath drew and was released.  Sweeping that final exhale, and those of the animals together, the breeze carried them deep into the surrounding forest, ever rising.  Soaring high above the forest, the glade, it took the breath to the one that created it.

****

Far below the shell of the shepherd lay, arms stretched embracing the mother.  Each guardian lay close, sheltering the shell as it grew cold.  The sheep and goats lay nearby in watch, as they chewed their cud.  The old mare dropped her muzzle and nuzzled her shepherd’s hair one last time.   

The stars hid their eyes and the earth mourned the passing, shedding cool spring tears.

****

In the distance, a joyful barking sounded and the sound of lost members of the flock from many years before.  Chaos ensued as the flock welcomed their shepherd.  A little bob-tailed dog led the way.  Jumping and yipping, as she ran to and fro, pushing the stragglers at a faster pace as she rushed to greet her master.

© 2018 Norma M Sutton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

it looks like the makings of a new book,and congratulation on being published

Posted 6 Years Ago


Norma M Sutton

6 Years Ago

Thank you. Maybe at some point it will work it's way into a story.
 wordman

6 Years Ago

i`m sure it will,and a great story
Moody, sad, but also...honour and respect.

Are you looking for suggestions?

Posted 6 Years Ago


Norma M Sutton

6 Years Ago

Not really, but feel free lol. I generally use the cafe as a holding place for pieces I might decid.. read more
Shannon

6 Years Ago

This is pure opinion. The first line and first part of the second , to me, don't reflect the rest if.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

588 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2017
Last Updated on November 13, 2018

Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing