Prologue The Challenge of Love

Prologue The Challenge of Love

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton
"

Background for the coming book.

"
Julie lay on the bed. Her eyes were red and swollen and her skin was grey. She was no longer the beautiful woman I tried so hard to emulate in my childhood. The cancer had stolen her beauty away as surely as it was taking her life.

When Dave left the room, she motioned for me to come close. As gently as I could, I settled on the bed next to her and prepared myself to hear what she had to say.

Ten years my senior, Julie had been my babysitter. She was the older sister that I never had and I loved her as such. Her smile drew me to her, and when I hit my teens, she was the one I often turned to. Now as death drew near she needed me.

With a strength that belied the frailness of her body, she took my hands in hers. Her sudden vigor scared me, but the desperation in her grasp, made me choke back my fear. Her hands tightened on mine, bringing me back to the present.


Pulling herself upright, she drew me closer and whispered in my ear, “Promise, promise me,” she paused and took a shaky, laborious breath, “Promise me you will take care of my family.” My mind refused to hear what she was saying. Frantically she reached to turn my face and she searched my eyes. “Promise me Susan. Dave is falling apart and the boys need a mom.”


When I did not speak, her face fell and her eyes filled with tears, I thought about what she was asking me to give up and then I thought about what I would be gaining. She knew how much I loved her children. Had she guessed at my feelings for her husband?


Feeling an immense amount of guilt, I met her eyes and saw understanding in them. Slowly I nodded. At my nod, her face lit up and she looked, for a moment, as she had before the cancer. Then her weakness returned and I helped her settle back onto the pillows and adjusted the covers.


Julie gave me a relieved smile, then whispered, “Susan, I know you love my boys. Don’t let your guilt get in the way of loving Dave. He will need your love. There is no one that I would rather be with him, and no one I would trust to love each of them, then you.”


The tightness in my chest grew as she spoke and I leaned close for what was our final embrace. I released her and sat up. Looking at her frail body brought the tears I was fighting, and I felt her soft touch as she wiped them away.


“Don’t weep for me Susan. I have never been afraid to die; my fear was for Dave and our boys. I have been praying for a solution for a long time and you just answered that prayer.” Before I could speak, she put a finger against her lips and gave me a conspiratorial wink. Smiling over my shoulder, she held a translucent hand out to Dave.


As I stood to leave, I watched as he settled close to her. For the first time in weeks, she looked happy and I watched as she smoothed his hair and ran her hand over his unshaven jaw.


It was with mixed feelings that I drove home, my love for my friend and her family battling the pain of loosing her and my fear of the enormousness of my promise.




Ruth 3:5 And she said unto her: 'All that thou sayest unto me I will do.'



© 2011 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
From the book I am working on. I still have a lot of revisions to do to this, but wanted to put something on my page.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, I am hooked, the storyline is intriguing....

Peace
Robin

Posted 13 Years Ago


I liked this. It's sad but at the same time uplifting. The friend is giving permission for her husband to move on and has chosen whom she wants him to move on with. I suggest indenting to make it an easier read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I enjoyed this! I thought this was a very good way to start the book and was me wanting more.

Posted 13 Years Ago


It was with mixed fillings that I drove home,
(feelings) I believe you meant instead of (fillings)

other than that I think this is a good beginning to what
seems a heart wrenching, loving story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a beautiful piece of work. The emotions make this story rich and relate able.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A story of Biblical proportions for sure. This will bring so many emotions into play at the same time as the story unfolds. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


A very good start to a sad story. I like the bible scripture making the story stronger. A promise made in death must be obey and held close to the heart. I will read on. A powerful start to the story.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow. This prologue really touched me. I would love to read more.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

830 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on January 30, 2011


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Suicide Suicide

A Poem by RTB


Smiles Smiles

A Poem by Tate Morgan