Shooting the Stork

Shooting the Stork

A Story by Norma M Sutton
"

Observations of a shepherd during springs rebirth.

"





















Today I contemplate shooting the stork.

I'm a shepherd, among other things, and this is the season of birth. I have been seeing this huge circling bird for several weeks now. Silly me assumed it was a buzzard. I now think it is the stork. What is the penalty, I wonder, for shooting the stork?

I have one lamb on the ground so far so he MUST have landed at least once! Then there is Jitterbug. Poor ole girl could have been due as early as the 23rd of March. It is now the 3rd of April and STILL no kids.

She is HUGE. She is miserable. She can't lie in comfort or stand in comfort. She is 3 times her normal size and still no sign of being anywhere near ready. So really, WHAT IS the penalty for shooting the stork?

How many kids could she be carrying that he is circling for so long? She had twins last year and their dad was a 100 pound goat. The dad to this year's kids is a 40 pound fellow. Oh dear me . . . please NOT twenty three!

So tell me please and tell me true? How much longer must we wait . . . or do I really need to shoot the stork.

© 2010 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
A somewhat tongue and cheek look at the frustrations of watching a pregnate goat going through the last stages of her pregnancy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very funny, I giggled quite a few times, especially at "What is the penalty, I wonder, for shooting the stork?" There are some things I'd like to critique however. In the sentence "Silly me I assumed it was s buzzard" I think you mean the s to be an a. Also, perhaps you'd might want to rethink capitalizing whole words for emphasis. It's generally too much and not every aesthetically pleasing. Emphasis can come off much better from simply italicizing the word instead. Just something you might want to consider. Other than that, this was a very funny write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A humorous and logical observation, I'd say, and if aimed at the younger audience, especially so. Well, I want to know--did Jitterbug finally deliver?

Posted 14 Years Ago


I don't know anything about goats either, nor can I relate to being past due. However, just yesterday I decided that I must see the movie, The men who stare at goats.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I dunno anything about goats but I can certainly relate to being past due with an oversized baby.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 4, 2010
Last Updated on June 17, 2010

Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..