A Tribute To Family

A Tribute To Family

A Story by Norma M Sutton
"

snapshots of where I come from

"











Family is where I come from. In my family I am the oldest of three children and the only girl.





























My dad was the second oldest in a family of 9. He was in the Navy during WWII, came home to farm full time, then drove trucks to pay the bills.




Married my mom and moved to SC to lay trrazzo floors with his brothers. We moved back to NC when I was 3 and Lewis was a baby. Dad went to work building houses and mom taught school.





































Mom was the middle child 7 and grew up farming. She picked cotton, milked cows, slopped the hogs and helped on butchering day as well as planting seed and harvesting the garden each fall. After high school she worked at Stonecutter Mills, no not a stone plant, a textile plant. She graded cloth which just means she inspected the finished fabric for imperfections. She worked there until she saved enough to attend college where she got a teaching degree and taught for 30 plus years. Thirty years in NC and several in SC.























My brothers are as different as night and say. The older does everything at a dead run and the youngest goes at his own slow steady pace. They ran a sawmill together for a few years.



I also have extended close family.






















Five cousins that are more like older siblings. My dad's sister's children. Dad helped raise them while their father was fighting in Europe.



And a sister friend that is also a distant cousin in some way or another that I never can keep up with.























Then there where my grandparents

























































My mom's parents. My grandmother taught me about milking, sewing, cooking and gardening. I got my pawpaw's nose *smile and possibly his warped sense of humor





















My dad's parents. My granddaddy passed his love of the land to my dad and my dad passed it down to me. Grannie, well I just hope I have some of her tenacity. She went from being a southern belle to a loggers wife living in thrown together shanties all over south Georgia. I've never heard that she ever complained either. Gutsy lady I think.





























And I was extremely lucky to have know my great grandmother, my mom's mom's mom. She raised her brothers and sisters after her mom died an then raised close to a dozen children of her own. She made the BEST teacakes and was always making the best of every situation. I hope I learned that from her. Although I'm sure I fall short in so many ways.

So who does that make me? Daughter, granddaughter, great grandaughter, sister and cousin. Different from all my family ties, but alike too. Culturally challanged and seeking much. Learning much and always remembering where I come from.

© 2010 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
My spell check doesn't operate when I write directly into the text box like I've been doing tonight. Any help with spelling would be appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love your last paragraph. Its interesting to sit and think back to who we are. Granddaughter of, sister of, daughter of, friend of... It goes on and on. And you always have to remember that although those people all influence who you are, they don't completely define who you are. Its just really interesting to think about.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I can see why you count your blessings, Norma.
Thanks for sharing something beautiful with us.
Once again.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Thank you for sharing your family with me.
Life and light!
TT-TTO-NI-K
Elk

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nicely displayed view of your family...bringing the past to your present is a nice touch...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, this is beautifully done :) Thanks for sharing parts of your life hon, really interesting :)
Photos are so beautiful to keep! Memories forever xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was so interesting to read. Thank you for a glimpse into your life and family.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Thanks for sharing this gem with me.
I love to see the old photographs.
Fascinating women !!

Posted 13 Years Ago


You have a amazing family. I like the photo of your father in the boat. I bet he was a strong man. I have my picture with my gear. A lot of good stories and beautiful photos. We need to keep them alive for our children to remember where we came from. Thank you for sharing.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


A tribute to the seniors.

Thanx for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 18, 2010
Last Updated on July 18, 2010

Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..