Soldiers Flaming Demons Meet

Soldiers Flaming Demons Meet

A Poem by Norma M Sutton
"

The photo is for a visual of just HOW spooky a goats eyes can be when the light hits them at night.

"






















Demons are afoot tonight
Oh what a terrifying sight
Glowing eyes quick to show
Hells demented fiery glow

Run from this witches lair
Return to our homeland fair
Never more do we roam
So far away from our home

Hear the demons snort and stamp
As madly they charge through our camp
Cloven hooves and horns are bright
Shining with a eerie light

Goblins laughter trails down
Circling us round and round
Cursing and knocked to the ground
Never more to be found

© 2017 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
http://www.oldandsold.com/articles04/europe13.shtml

These women of Gruyeres appear to have always been a resourceful lot. Once when all the men were with the cattle on the mountains, or at war with their neighbors, and only the women and children remained within the town, the hostile army of Berne sat down before the walls. But the women did not despair. When night came on they gathered together several hundred goats and, fastening flaming torches between their horns, opened the gates and drove them down upon the enemy. Now, in those days witches still dwelt in the forest and goblins yet lived in the mountains, so when the Bernese saw this army of flaming demons charging their camp, they fled incontinently, and the town was saved.

Author's note: My dad's mom's people were Bowman from Switzerland. In doing some research I ran across this story. I found it hilarious. Goats are bad to shake their heads if you have something tied to their horns. I would imagine they were a ghastly sight to superstitious folk. Charging down from the mountain forest shaking their heads and baaing. I know what they are, but I would run from a sight like that lol.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

awesome, thanks for sharing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The flow of this poem is wonderful. The picture is incredibly creepy - I can easily see how that would inspire such fear and superstition. Like you say, even I would run from such a sight probably screaming! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love this! I'm really fond of folktales, myths, etc - and it's always interesting to me to see how some of the scary superstitious things came to be. Like your goats! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
Great poem with a good meter and authors note. I enjoyed imensely. 100 from me.

Posted 13 Years Ago


What a great marriage of imagination and once upon a time myth .. and, what's more there's a real sense of humour in your words, the use of certain words make a sort of clitter-clatter that adds the sound of goats' movements.

There must be something odd here, i love goats, toads, frogs and owls .. and black cats :))

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
this was really good!! you have a strong 4 beat going through it which makes it very easily readable!! and a very natural read!! I liked it a lot! I agree with G.K below! I'd run too! haha

Posted 13 Years Ago


Goats are peculiar and weird me out.
And this is an excellent poem.
I really like it when I can learn something historical, and the authors note was great writing as well.
Knowing how scary the woods are at night under certain circumstances, I really got a great image of this tale..
Good Stuff, Norma.


Posted 13 Years Ago


I just LOVE this! :) And I would run too....as fast as an older broad like me can run!!! ;) Thoroughly enjoyed this one Norma!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Norma, what a hoot! Demon-eyed goats. The additional story about the goats with torches is great, too.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The women cleverly defending the town that's cool-- and I dig that picture too!-- and I enjoyed the authors note as well.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1190 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 21, 2010
Last Updated on September 29, 2017

Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mercy Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry