Letter

Letter

A Story by Systemic Apathy
"

in no way is this any where near complete. but any feed back would be hugely appreciated.

"

 

I should have said this a long time ago, should have set this all in pen, and perhaps I could have prevented what happened. I was selfish and foolish; far too vain for you. So why you kept coming back remained a mystery. To me, now, you outshine the brightest star. To me, then, you were an expendable delight. How it shames me to admit this now. Your naïveté called to me like a siren song, with the exception that you had no idea you could lure me with your intoxicating innocence. So I turned the tables and reeled you in. You were my greatest catch, but I know I should have let you get away. I should never have let it go so far. I should never have let you get caught up in all of this.

 

The night that I saw you… Does it start there? I’m sure, now, that it doesn’t. It can’t, can it? There’s always some back story, some dark alley or, and in this case I’m willing to bet my life on it, something far less sinister. But I wouldn’t know anything about that. I never took the time to know. But the night this started I know like the back of my hand. I’ve played it a million times over and over, for this audience of one. You were in the back ground. You didn’t know what you had. You sat and let me pour you a drink, much stronger than you would have been used to. After that you started coming out. You told me that you didn’t even want to be at the party; that one of your friends had dragged you along. You said… Oh, you said so many things. That the music was awful, that you wished you didn’t have a curfew, that maybe tonight had been a good idea. I took you by the hand and you didn’t resist, because by that time the vodka I’d been pouring all night had made you brave. You came with me one the dance floor (or what passed for one in that dingy room) and showed me all the things you didn’t know you had. The way you moved was hypnotic. The sway of your hips as they curled around the room, like some gypsy dancer for her audience of mesmerized peasants, held me until the music faded. By that time you’d forgotten about curfews and good ideas. It was as if you didn’t even know the world existed, just you and your awful music...

© 2008 Systemic Apathy


Author's Note

Systemic Apathy
any feed back is greatly appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
Added on November 17, 2008

Author

Systemic Apathy
Systemic Apathy

Australia



About
I write poetry. Occaisionally I will write a story, but that generally gets left to those more apt and having been endowed with greater attention spans. Sometime in my early years, someone left a magn.. more..

Writing