Sweet Dreams

Sweet Dreams

A Poem by taali
"

Meant to be read a spoken word poetry- read it out loud. First attempt- really it's just ramblings that we're inspired out by Sarah Kay

"
It's funny how when we say goodnight we might throw a 'sweet dreams' onto the end. Why? Why would we wish sweetness into the night? Sleep is dark. Isn't that sweet enough?
But what about the times when he says sweet dreams but they aren't? What went wrong? Did he say it wrong? Because when I fell asleep, planning on dreaming about a happily ever after I woke up stressed and worried- did that really happen? Did he break up with me? Oh no, he's still beside me.
And when she said 'sweet dreams' he was certain she didn't mean for him to dream her last breath or to wake up reaching for her with his arm falling through cold air- she felt so real in the dream but reality is cold hard truth- so maybe dreams are better.
What's the point of sweet dreams when most mornings you don't remember what you dreamt? You can't remember if the horse was black with white stripes or white with black stripes. Or if in fact the sky was in the sea. But what does it matter? It's just a dream.

Some people think dreams have meanings. Or they are sent as a warning. So what does it mean when I'm walking up endless flights of stairs that should lead me to my front door but lead to nowhere and sometimes don't even lead to each other? Am I never going to find my home? Am I doomed to wonder this planet aimlessly? Never connecting? Never settling? Or better still what about that dream my friend had with the race along the water on hover crafts that bounce to win the golden egg which we needed to get us home- but our team leader was smoking in a Gatsby type mansion while my friend got pummelled by manly fists while thinking to herself 'hey it could be worse- I could be that guy getting hit with a golf club'. Don't even get me started coming up with a meaning for that- and that's only a small part of her dream.

I don't know why we wish people sweet dreams. Whether we do or not makes no difference to what they dream let alone if they do at all. Maybe darkness is better. Maybe when we dream in a black canvas we are freer. We don't worry the next morning if we dreamed or not and if we remember what we dreamt. It doesn't matter- it was dark, as the night should be. But I will tell you one thing- I will still wake up with the same gross morning taste in my mouth and crave sugary minty toothpaste.

© 2014 taali


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on May 1, 2014
Last Updated on May 1, 2014
Tags: Spokenword, sarahkay, poetry, slam, English, dreams, drama, nightmares

Author

taali
taali

Australia



About
I write for sanity. It's been a while- time to get back into it... more..

Writing