I'm Sort of a Big Deal.  People Know Me.

I'm Sort of a Big Deal. People Know Me.

A Story by Zen of Taiyo
"

Living in someone's shadow - past and present

"

Coffee...el capiton of my morning.  Something about it makes me want to conquer the world. 

What are we doing today, Taiyo? 

The same thing we do every day, my friend. 

Try to take over the UNIVERSE!!!!  (Insert maniacal cackling here)

 

Caffeine confidence and I'm ready to walk right over to The Lawyer's or Abercrombie's cubicle and...yeah right!  Who. The. Bloody. Hell. Am. I. Kidding? 

 

Besides, only Abercrombie is here.  Standing at his computer hacking away at his keyboard; probably instant messaging my cousin.

I wouldn't be surprised.  She did cause quite a stir last Friday.

Naomi roars into my office like a Dominican whirlwind and completely changes the atmosphere of the once dull Friday the 13th I was insistent on having.  I could practically hear tongues wagging and necks breaking to watch the Siren catwalk on stiletto heels through the cubicle maze shouting my name in her thick Spanish accent.

She'd hijacked my afternoon, demanding that we go eat, "Meeee-rah cous-een, let's go!  I'm huuun-greeeeee...and I'm too preeeeetty to eat ah-loooone, no?  Muevete!  Estas moviendo demasiado lento!"

Alright!  She didn't say that exactly, but she DOES sound like Sofia Vergara. 

I'd returned to the office an hour and a half later to find an e-mail from Mr. Abercrombie himself.  I stared wide-eyed at the unread message from Christian.

Eff word. Eff word. Expletive! Expletive! Mierde! 

My heart felt like it had lept out of my chest grabbed my shoulders and shook me crazy.  "Get a hold of yourself, mi'ja!" it demanded. 

"I'm trying!" I shouted.

"Did you say something?"  came the muffled concern of my wall-mate, Quinton. 

Expletive!  "Uh, of course.  Yes!  I, um, was talking to my computer." 

She giggled.  "Mmmmmhmmm.  Who or what is it now?"

Quinton was used to my verbal outbursts.  I was forever yelling at my screen about something or someone.  "Riiiight. Just a moment."  I sent her a quick message telling her that Abercrombie had sent me an e-mail. 

Quinton: Oh?! What did it say?!

Me: IDK yet!  I've been staring at it for the past 5 minutes. LOL

Quinton: Well! WTH are you waiting for?!  Open it!

Me: Right!

I stared blankly at the text.  Effing figures.

Hey Tieyo,

Did I spell your name right? 

No you bloody well didn't.

Hey I was wondering if I could ask you a favor?  Do you think you could set me up with your cousin?

Delete.

Quinton:  Well?!

Just like bloody high school.

*   *   *

Naomi always met me at my locker before lunch and insist I eat with her.  Most of the time I'd refuse her invitation,  preferring to isolate myself from the masses and spend those thirty-minutes in the publications room.   I hated the feeling of someone watching every bit of food I put in my mouth. 

Watch the fat girl eat!

However, every blue moon she'd talk me into joining her; bribing me with homemade sancocho and tostones Tia Gisela made at least once a week. 

It was on one of those rare occasions I found myself sitting at a remote table sharing her bowl of rice and beans.  I'd forgotten my own lunch of feijoada so I'd conceded after making Naomi promise that she was sitting in her usual spot.   

"Claro!"  She'd reassured me.  "As usual, no?"  Naomi had her own paranoia about being trampled during a fire emergency, so she usually sat at a table nearest an emergency exit. 

We had a great view of the entire lunch room from our quiet little corner and we entertained ourselves between spoonfuls of beans and rice gossiping in Spanish about the pom pom and cheer leading squads.  It was then that he caught my eye. 

Dylan!

"Que?" 

I hadn't realized I'd said his name out loud.  "Dylan."  I said quietly.  He was headed directly to our corner carrying a McDonald's bag.  I could practically smell the grease and salt from the fries.  My mouth watered although I wasn't sure if it was from the thought of fried potatoes or from watching him walk.

Ay. Dios. Mio.  I stopped breathing.  I know I was staring harder than I should have been, but the navy blue t-shirt stretched perfectly across his chest and I couldn't help but imagine my hands sliding under it.

Naomi rolled her eyes and cursed under her breath.  "Theese one is tenacious, no?"

Normally I would make some sarcastic remark about her "Word of the Day" calendar, but if I'd opened my mouth, I would have slobbered on myself.  Instead, I nodded slowly still envisioning well-defined muscle reacting deliciously to the teasing touch of my finger tips.

"Hey, Naomi.  What's up?"  His tenor voice was milky smooth. 

"Lo grosero!  I'm not the only one see-ting here."

Say hello to my lee-ttle friend.

"Sorry. My bad."  He looked in my direction and nodded.  "Taylor."

My stomach knotted up in disappointment.  Get over yourself, Taiyo.  Did you really think he was coming to speak to you?

I could feel my cousin's body tense up. "It's Taiyo," Naomi corrected vehemently.

Inwardly, I was applauding my cousin. Outwardly, I looked like a deer in headlights.  

 

His strong body shifted and he was placing the greasy bag on the table and sliding into the seat right across from Naomi; still confident.   Expensive jeans still flawlessly creased.  Blonde hair still Nick Lacey perfect.

Naomi's own blue-green eyes questioned him openly, lips pursed in annoyance.  "Y que?"

He lifted an eyebrow gave her a crooked smile.  "Now you're being rude." 

She looked at me.  I shrugged and gave her a "Sorry, kid, I'm speechless" look in return.

She sighed  and mumbled an almost incoherent, lo siento, prima - I'm sorry, cousin.  "Alright.  I'll go with you to prom."

My face turned red as if I had just been slapped and I had to sit on my hands to keep myself from doing just that to both my cousin and uber jock and then running out of the lunch room. I felt completely betrayed and all I wanted to do was to hide in the dark room and cry.

"I'll go with you, only if you have a date for Taiyo."

© 2012 Zen of Taiyo


Author's Note

Zen of Taiyo
Your honesty is all I require.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
Added on July 26, 2012
Last Updated on July 26, 2012
Tags: romance, high school, crush, unpopular, prom

Author

Zen of Taiyo
Zen of Taiyo

Chicago, IL



About
British-American mutt: Japanese, African, and Dominican who spends my free time blogging about my less than stellar life. more..

Writing