Best Advice

Best Advice

A Story by Talia Renee
"

A little piece I wrote at a workshop that I really enjoyed writing. The prompt was "There were 3 things ________ told me never to do...."

"

There were three things my dad told me never to do: backpedal, keep my eye off the ball, and, under any circumstances, waste my talent.Everyday, as I ate my breakfast of Frosted Flakes, he'd look at me over the sports section of the newspaper and say, "Remember, Skyler: there's nothing sadder than wasted talent."

Those magic words were a quote from one of his favourite movies, A Bronx Tale, which we watched several times a month. We also watched tons of baseball movies: The Sandlot, Angels in the Outfield, Major League, and about a zillion others. Then, of course, we watched games. MLB Network, ESPN, and Fox Sports were the most watched channels in our house. I lived and breathed baseball. When I was a kid, my dad presented me with his old baseball jacket, the very one he'd worn in high school. That jacket- along with my baseball autographed by Angels great Tim Salmon- was my most prized possesion.

All the way from t-ball to varsity baseball, two things never changed: my jersey number (four) and my second base position, both of which were tributes to my dad and his childhood hero, Bobby Grich.

Now, as I stomp on homeplate after hitting a walk-off homerun in the Dodger-Angels World Series, I scan the screaming red crowd. And there he is- my dad, as proud of me as ever.

© 2012 Talia Renee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
Added on January 27, 2012
Last Updated on January 27, 2012
Tags: baseball, dad, Angels baseball, pride

Author

Talia Renee
Talia Renee

CA



About
Writing is my life. Whether it's stories or screenplays, I love it. My dream is to write porfessionally for television, as well as write books as often as possible. Besides writing, I love baseball.. more..

Writing