HACKED

HACKED

A Story by john Robinson
"

A young girl finds out that the internet isn't always her friend.

"

HACKED




Destiny was a 19-year-old, involved with her phone, gossip, school, parents, and life. She was embedded in social media and the internet. She was a college student who held a B average. Her parents were both successful Realtor's. The family lived in a handsome house in the suburb of Connecticut. Destiny was the only child. She was kind of spoiled, but her family was very engaged in her life, and the family dynamic was quite intact.


There was only one problem, Destiny was just too consumed with the world of the internet, and messaging, along with sending pics, and taking selfies, She wasn't an anti-social person. She was a kid having fun. She had friends and was enjoying life. She would notice that at times, when she ordered something, that she would see advertisements next to her email, pertaining to the product that she just ordered. She paid no attention to it, nobody does.


Things were going well at home, and Destiny was seeing a young man that the parents felt had potential. Things were going well, and Destiny was lost in the 21 first century world of technology. It's what kids do. What they don't do is protect themselves from predators and trolls. They're kids. They feel invincible. And they never look for the predator. Hell. How many of us look for the hacker, or identity thief? Destiny never thought about predators until one day, when she received a message from the cell phone carrier telling her that there had a been a breach.


The message said that it was important for the owner of the contract to call the carrier. She passed this information on to her mom, who then told the father. The father contacted the cell phone carrier, and they then contacted Destiny. It seemed as if the problem had been rectified. Destiny was on the streets talking on the phone with the love of her life. When suddenly her phone just went out. She had to reboot it. That's when she received a call from the carrier. Or was it? The person on the other side asked Destiny for the email associated with the phone number. Destiny gave the person on the other side the email address. The person on the other side replied with Destiny's full information.


At first, she thought that it was a little strange, but then shrugged it off. We all do. She was on her way to meet up with her love life when she received a text telling her that he wouldn't be able to make it and that he would text her later. She decided to go home, She took the shortcut through Greenfield.

Destiny returned home to a flood of police lights and law enforcement walking in and out of her parents home, None of the officers halted her from entering, Her parents were in the living room. Both with looks of confused despair on their faces.


She asked them what was wrong. The mother began to cry. The father was also in tears, and both had a difficult time explaining what was wrong. The father finally just blurted out, ”Our bank accounts have been looted”. They were a successful couple, well known in the world of selling houses and property. They were also well known in the community for their political ties. Destiny was confused. Just what did this mean? Were they homeless, broke, would she have to drop out of college?


The world had suddenly stopped. Her father attempted to tell her in a calming voice, just what it meant. He left out that they were now ruined. There was no longer retirement in the picture. They would have to regain over 1.5 million dollars. He told Destiny that everything would be okay, but it wouldn't. Someone got into their bank accounts that were overprotected from anti-hacker firms that worked with the banks, and yet, their money was gone.


The uniformed officers that responded to a frantic call from Destiny's mom, really couldn't do anything. They informed destiny's parents that it was imperative that they contact their bank. Other than that they can come to the precinct and speak with detectives. Destiny couldn't believe what was going on. She and her mom talked about it, while the father got into the car and headed to the bank.


Destiny and her mom sat in the dining room. Her mom made it clear that this was a devastating chain of events. The money had been taken slowly at first. Neither noticed a thing, then suddenly it was all gone. Destiny went to her room to try to process this whole thing. She attempted to contact her love life, but he was never around, and he didn't even answer her text. A month went by. Destiny hadn't heard from the love of her life for over three weeks. She was distraught.


Then one Thursday afternoon she came home and found her parents waiting for her in the living room. Sitting with them was a detective from the precinct. Seems that the love of Destiny's life was responsible for hacking into her parents' bank accounts. He obtains the information from Destiny's email and phone account. Destiny was shocked at the news. He had been arrested, but only, $200.000 of the 1.5 million was recovered. Destiny couldn't believe it. She'd been hacked by someone she thought she loved...

© 2018 john Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on October 16, 2018
Last Updated on October 16, 2018
Tags: hackers, phone, internet, fake, fraud, messaging, love, family, money, police, friends, talk, robbed, looted, bank, millions

Author

john Robinson
john Robinson

Jamaica, NY



About
I like being me,but I despise my life. It's the old saying,"if it weren't for bad luck,I would have no luck at all". Then again I did spend twenty one years in Germany after I left the army. I did tou.. more..

Writing