My Babylon

My Babylon

A Poem by J. M. Yeary

I took a walk down an old dirt road

Pass the oaks and the sycamores
Beyond the well-spring and the old red barn
Across a rushing brook, to my Babylon
 
A small shoreline, the perfect place
To read a book or contemplate
To search my soul for what I miss
Perhaps a song or love’s first kiss
 
A place of hope; a chance to dream
For now, I’ve found some inner peace
A parting smile to leave behind
Knowing this place is forever mine
 
So again, I travel the old dirt road
Past the oaks and the sycamores
Beyond the well-spring and the old red barn
So long, for now, My Babylon

© 2008 J. M. Yeary


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wonderful narrative and it filled my mind with natural beauty.

Living on a farm in the middle of a national forest, my escape is only a short walk or horseback ride away. One that I tend to take for granted, so when I read peoples work such as yours...with its narrative and descriptive value of places such as the one you describe here, it makes me take pause and consider how lucky I am.

A simple little piece that is beautifully written and well worded.

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

William Faulkner wrote of just a place in his "Go Down Moses". I found it very easy to read yet hard to shake from my thought. To say it is beautiful is an understatement but I find it mory mysterious than beautiful. Robert Frost spoke of the Sycamores as the souls of the forest. The imiages are stark makeing me question the path I walk through life. Thanks,"The Bard"

Posted 14 Years Ago


this struck me as very personal. a private sanctuary you are revealing and yet keeping hidden for fear of its loss.
Nicely done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


took a walk down an old dirt road
Past the oaks and the sycamores
Beyond the well-spring and the old red barn
Across a rushing brook, to my Babylon

A place of renewal...everyone needs that. I love to daydream doing it in a serene spot is all the better. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

kudos to you for finding your Babylon...you're a lucky man!! I liked the poem and it's well structured. I will definitely be reading more of your work.

Posted 17 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Sounds like a very beautiful place this Babylon, I could use a place like this myself but alas I only have a Babylon within my mind and for now that will have to do. Excellent write J. I really enjoy reading your work, it is clean and consise, beautifully written with excellent flow and imagery..

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Hello Michael, I wasn't here for one week, sorry for reading late. I loved your poem, especially the last stanza

"So again, I travel the old dirt road
Past the oaks and the sycamores
Beyond the well-spring and the old red barn
So long, for now, My Babylon " ==>>>> very touching, melancholic poetry but it is also spending strenght. graeat work, my dear.


Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I kind of like your little kingdom here myself. Being from and living in the country, this makes all the sense in the world to me.

Posted 17 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

A parting smile to leave behind
Knowing this place is forever mine

WOW!! Yes, don't we all need that place, that place for just us? You have described it so well and the peace that we find there. I loved your description for this as much as the poem. One thing though, in the second line pass should be past. You used past in that line later, but not there! :) Thanks for sharing!



Posted 17 Years Ago


3 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Well put, with industry, the fast pace of life, we need a retreat. I liked this piece for my own piece of mind as I love walks through the forest, streams and places to sit. Just watch and listen to what is around me and what truely counts. Not the new car, the new house, the grass that has to be kept a certain length or the housing will come down on you. Not saying you should have standards, but sometimes they are confining. Your words are peaceful, full of vivid imagery as well as your narrative into what you are wanting, thinking. Really nice. thank you for sending this to me to read. Sorry for the slow response, I am trying to play catch up!
Kristine

Posted 17 Years Ago


3 of 5 people found this review constructive.

this is so romantic and simple, its a really charming piece..i love the language 'I took a walk down an old dirt road
Pass the oaks and the sycamores
Beyond the well-spring and the old red barn
Across a rushing brook, to my Babylon' the imagery allows the reader to walk along with you, and i like the rythm, this is one of my favorites so far:)


Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

432 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 1, 2008

Author

J. M. Yeary
J. M. Yeary

Wichita Falls, TX



About
I discovered this poem while I was looking through an old cemetery book at the courthouse in Crowell, Texas--a very good depiction of what most of us feel as we venture through life. Surely (at least .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..