Indignation

Indignation

A Poem by tekphobik
"

Alcohol will shut me up, where's the whiskey at noon?

"
I sit here tappity-tapping
Playing a little social game
Drawing attention with the sound of a keyboard
So that y'all will look at me for a second
Weep, weep, I'm so misunderstood.

But if you really did know
The cunning that's going into this
The ego-stroking satisfaction of a job well done
It's altogether frightening
How calculated I am.

Pop-fizz-bang, make a flash
Anything to catch your eye's appeal
This is all so arrogantly hollow, so you know
I'm just dreaming bigger
Than I think you are.

© 2011 tekphobik


Author's Note

tekphobik
Seriously, it's time for a jaded drink to dull contemptuous eyes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ees
Don't we all assume or dreams are bigger than everyone else's? Don't we all think we are smarter?
At first I thought that you were writing this as somebody else, in the first stanza it came across a little bit like you were mocking somebody, or everybody, or those people who try so hard or are so much more sensitive than I am.
Then, in the following two stanzas I came to see it as you really speaking the truth, admitting that it is all part of it, to catch someone's eye, get attention. It was your manipulation that was outsmarting all those who gave you a second look.
I live my whole life that way. Is it really a game? I do things to be the center of most attentions. I don't think of that as manipulating those around me, I just think of it as me cultivating a certain public persona for people to write and talk about after I am gone.
haha.
None of that means that I know what I think about this as a poem. It is pretty good, and cocky as you intended it to be. If I had to guess you accomplished exactly what you were trying to when writing this poem, so that warrants a great job!
have fun,
Erin

Posted 11 Years Ago


tekphobik

11 Years Ago

Thanks. I'm glad you see life as a game too. This was written after reading a slough of bad poems .. read more
Ees

11 Years Ago

There are a lot of bad ones.
Being drunk should help.
sometimes i've had this moment of clarity while listening to a band perform. like "wow, these guys must really know how to captivate people that NEED to be captivated."

it's like hypnotism sometimes. idk if that's what you were going for, but it sparked a thought. good poem.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Let me be so bold as to say your imagery in this piece is absolutely amazing. I can imagine this entire story as it unfolds. The last two lines are definitely my favorite of the entire piece. Stunning!

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Me
great imagery. nice penning

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love the "inside voice" presented here. I can just picture someone playing a keyboard with a sideways grin, their face not matching their actions... And we get to hear the truth! This is very good, and the last two lines are my favorite. The cynicism is very satisfying.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Flawless, this write is FANTASTIC in every way possible!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

349 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 17, 2011
Last Updated on December 17, 2011
Tags: disgust, indignation, contempt, attack

Author

tekphobik
tekphobik

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada



About
I live for the words. Artistry is taking pieces of your soul out and throwing them against a wall to make someone else feel something or experience some sort of insight. It's the only thing worth li.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..