Eulogy for My Great-Grandmother Mary B. Uribe

Eulogy for My Great-Grandmother Mary B. Uribe

A Story by temoralez
"

I write this eulogy for my Grandma Nana. It's my way of remembering her.

"
I remember meeting my Grandma Nana for the first time when I was a little boy. She lived in a small New Mexican town called Tucumcari. She was surrounded by friends and family in that little town, more than I ever knew. She would always take the Greyhound bus to visit my grandmother Joanne.
I remember her visiting for the holidays or just to simply visit. She would always try to open her Christmas gifts early before Christmas day. She was always excited to see a gift for her under the tree. We had to hide her gifts to stop her from opening them early. 
The summer of 2004 is one of the most memorable moments of my life. It was the summer my brother, my cousin, and I were sent to spend the summer with her. Despite it being a small town, I enjoyed myself. She would cook for us, take us to the library, to the Mesaland Dinosaur museum, or simply take us to see family. It's how I met my cousins JJ, Carlos, Joseph, Nathan, and my Uncle Johnny.
I remember the last time I spoke to her before the surgery in early 2009. I spoke as we always did, but then she mentioned the surgery and not making it. Being the optimist, I said "I know you'll make it." She said she didn't know and that was the last time I spoke to her. She passed away on April 10, 2009. 
I didn't know everything about my Grandma Nana and now I would never see her again. My father drove us to Tucumcari as soon as we came to New Mexico. We went to Grandma Nana's grave as soon as we arrived in Tucumcari. It was quiet at her gravesite. There she lay buried next to her husband. It felt different, her house, without her kind smiling face around. 
As a military child, defining home wasn't always easy for me with all the moving, but I know now. Home is where the heart is and out of the few places I call home, my heart is at Tucumcari in the little house that is my Grandma Nana's. 
If you were to ask me what's one thing I remember about her is something she once told me:
"Get an education, mijo, because when I was your age I didn't. When I got older, I realized just how important an education can be." 
My Grandma Nana had a big family. 
7 children
24 grandchildren
29 great-grandchildren
4 great-great grandchildren
I am one of her great-grandchildren and I will miss you Grandma Nana. I haven't met everyone in our big family, but I want to meet and get to know our family. Thank you for everything you've done for us.
Rest in Peace
Mary Brigida Uribe, Our Grandma Nana (1934-2009)
A piece of history goes with you.

© 2011 temoralez


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

In the fifth paragraph, last sentence, replace 'that' with 'her'. ' her kind smilng...'

Be careful about using a word to often when you write. You don't have to keep telling the reader that you remember because that is understood after you say it the first time.

Also be very careful about using the work I too much.
For example you wrote, "I'll never forget the summer of 2004." How about rewriting it, "The summer of 2004 was the most memorable." or "The best time in 2004 was when my brother and I joined my cousin to spend a memorable summer with Nana."

Learnin to curb the overuse of I for me came about because someone took a red pen and circled all the times I had been written. "Ouch," I said but it sure helped my writing.

Polish this and it will be lovely, keep up the good work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Thank you for a wonderful story. We must remember the good people that loved and took care of us. I know she would be proud of you and can feel the love in a good place. Thank you for the amazing story of a great woman.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1081 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 3, 2011
Last Updated on August 20, 2011
Tags: Started June 27, 2011. Finished July 3rd, 2011.

Author

temoralez
temoralez

Albuquerque, NM



About
My name is Tomas Esteban Moralez, but they call me Tomas. I enjoy writing, reading, creating stories & poetry. I like adventure, action, mystery, and thought-provoking genres. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by temoralez


Reconnect Reconnect

A Poem by temoralez