Hopping Into A Blessing.

Hopping Into A Blessing.

A Story by texasjane
"

Fulling a promise

"
Music is a major part of my day each day.  I do everything (but watch TV) with music going.  I have several devices that play recorded music.  I have a tiny tape player, a CD player, a larger tape player, etc.  I even have players on my PC, laptop... you get the picture.

I have organized my selections according to the device.  I have "The Golden Oldies" playing on CD on a small portable unit.  I have a tiny portable that is dedicated to the Beatles.  I also have several devices dedicated to classical music.  I enjoy dancing barefoot in the kitchen while I am cooking, washing dishes, etc.  My fur people also live with this arrangement.  I did not ask them if they wanted it I just do it.  It had come to my attention over Christmas that things had changed a little and I did not realize it.

I was listening to Christmas songs by Frank Sinatra, Mathis, Dean Martin, etc.  I had set the Beatles songs going in the bedroom and the Golden Oldies going in the kitchen.  I also had classical going into the office.  I was going from room to room through my day and enjoying the contrast and mood of each musical selection I encountered.  I became very focused on picking up the house and getting everything ready for a day of watching Christmas Movies.  I was busy in the kitchen making the popcorn, creating finger snacks, and a tray of treats.  I never noticed that the music in the bedroom was no longer playing.  I could not hear it.

I was setting stuff up on the "table" in the bedroom, just beside the bed.  Remote control, the food, the drinks, clearing the path to the bathroom, trash can set up, and pillow support where needed.  It suddenly dawned on me that I was hearing the words "All You Need Is Love" but from a distance.  Like the music was not in the room with me anymore.  I started trying to find where the music was coming from.  It seemed to be coming from outside.  I pulled back the drapes and laughed.

Going down the street was a guy, walking his cat, and suddenly he was singing along with the music.  He finished his walk, but I still could not determine where the music was coming from. 

I suddenly heard, right outside my window,

"Love, love, love
Love, love, love
Love, love, love

There's nothing you can do that can't be done
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung
Nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game
It's easy"

It was George, my neighbors, the man with the cat on a leash.  I waved to him, but the light was just right so that he could not see inside the house.  He had no idea I could see him.  He was singing the song and doing a little dance.  His cat was weaving in and out of his legs as if they were dancing.  I had to laugh.  "Oscar,  he said, play some more."  I could not see Oscar, my pet squirrel.  I had not realized that Oscar and Grammy were both missing from the cat tree on the top of the dryer.  Then I got a quick glimpse of him.  He was dragging my little tape player with him as he scampered back up the tree.  The music stopped.  George put his hand out palm up and offered to help Oscar.  The tape was on a loop playback setting, but the off button had been pushed.  George pushed the button.

"Nothing you can make that can't be made
No one you can save that can't be saved
Nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time
It's easy"

A few minutes later, Oscar had scampered out on that branch of the tree.  The music was still going. George and his cat followed the music. They were dancing a little to the music. A couple of ladies joined the chorus from across the street. They, too, were senior citizens walking with what looked to be their grandchildren. The young boy and girl with them started singing along. Everyone was wearing masks, everyone was singing, everyone was waving their arms and doing a little dance. I looked again at Oscar and Grammy and sure enough, a few more squirrels had joined the party. The song really fits the situation.

No refreshments. All had started as strangers. All had bowed to each other. Each and every one had sung a little, danced a little, and enjoyed themselves. I watched it in total fascination. Each group slowly went on their way while they continued to sing along.

The words of the chorus really rang true.

"All you need is love
All you need is love
All you need is love, love
Love is all you need
All you need is love
All you need is love
All you need is love, love
Love is all you need"

I looked down the street and there were a group of people with masks on pushing carts going down the street.  They had started to sing the song.  A couple started waving their arms and really getting into the words.

They stopped and looked around to try and figure out where the music was coming from.  They finally spotted Oscar and Grammy up on the tree branch hugging each other and then waving their arms and hugging again.  The strap to the recorder was still caught on Oscar's left foot, but his tail was flickering to the beat... so to speak.

"There's nothing you can know that isn't known
Nothing you can see that isn't shown
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be"

The two people looked at each other and just hugged for a very long time.  They then waved their arms and did the hug, just like Oscar and Grammy.  They were all singing in chorus as the tape continued.

I spent the rest of the afternoon watching as people passed by the house.  As they came within earshot of the music, they started singing along.  Some stopped and watch Oscar and Grammy play and hug each other.  Some just clapped and danced a little.  

Around dusk, I decided the neighborhood had heard enough and went out and called Oscar and Grammy into the house.  Just before I turned it off I turned the volume up very loud and let it finish:

"It's easy
All you need is love
All you need is love
All you need is love, love
Love is all"

I then shut off the machine, and we all came in for the evening.  I had spent Christmas day watching, "Peace on Earth and Good Will to Man" presented by the Beatles and two rodents.  It was a delightful day.

© 2021 texasjane


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

21 Views
Added on May 30, 2021
Last Updated on May 30, 2021
Tags: Easter

Author

texasjane
texasjane

Hawkins, TX



About
I a retired Texas widow. I live alone with two dogs. I love to look for the humor in almost everything. I like to pass along a giggle when I can. Wisdom is also fun to pass along. I like to pro.. more..

Writing
My Hamlet My Hamlet

A Story by texasjane