Undying Fairy

Undying Fairy

A Poem by Mr. Misanthrope
"

The quaint story of a fairy dancing without a care in the world...until I kill it.

"

Fairy, fairy, so content

Can nothing destroy this sweet lament

Of world's worries and pretty

Willows?

...

My favourite.

As I bask in your blind joy

And dream of no tomorrow

...

Monday.

I cannot help but wonder what

You lost, your mind,

To the golden apples and their w****s in the Hesperides

Apples, Apples, so many...give me indigestion

No wonder they're yellow!

Dancing, Dancing,

Dreaming slowly,

Getting dirty, for experience

Turning, turning,

No, not on Fire

But your heart is

And difficult to boil, Like

Jack's butchered gender.

...

...

Nothing can awaken

This little creature's

Nightmare

It will dance

Forev--(Bash)

Stupid fairies!

Bloody pests if you ask me.

© 2008 Mr. Misanthrope


Author's Note

Mr. Misanthrope
In case some of you were wondering what most of the things mean in this poem, I'll just clarify them for future readers:
(1) Willows are my favourite trees
(2) I hate Mondays. Who doesn't?
(3) I thought going off track with the golden apples bit would provide a different and original path into this poem, so that I wouldn't bore you with constant rhymes of happiness and how this fairy's joy will never end. This is also underlined when I kill the fairy myself. :) Obtaining the Golden Apples of the Hesperides was one of the tasks given to the Greek mythological hero, Heracles, by his mother, Hera. I called the maidens in these gardens 'whores' so as to add something completely unexpected to the poem. This unexpectedness is abused even further when I state that these golden apples give me indigestion. The colour of gold, i.e. yellow, means that they are rotten. Lol. I decided not to add the legendary dragon guarding the Golden Apples, seeing as how it would have been too much an emphasis on Greek mythology.
(4) The part about Jack and the heart refers to a favourite thriller of mine, From Hell, starring Johnny Depp, and based on Jack the Ripper. Near the end of the film, Jack takes out his last victim's heart after butchering her, and starts talking to himself, explaining that the heart is an intensely difficult organ to boil.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Welcome Luke to VC. Hope your stay will prove a rewarding experience.

A very interesting poem, some bizarre thoughts strung together, but I wonder what they mean to you. I would love to see you mention in Author's Notes what inspired you to write the poem. Well written, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to read and review.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

An interesting poem, with a dichotomy of different lines but pulled off well. I don't like Monday's either unless it's a holiday...lol
Nicely done!
"I bask in your blind joy
"And dream of not tomorrow"
Beautiful line with great symmetry!
Mark

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"To the golden apples and their w****s in the Hesperides" I have absolutely no inkling what this line meant but it made me laugh for a good five minutes ^__^
Really enjoyed this piece. Its super unique and a bit mad! Very nice work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I do absolutely love this, for reasons I'm not entirely sure of, much along the same vein of reasons why I love Labyrinth and Alice in Wonderland... Something non-sensical that you completely understand, if you get my meaning?
The last four lines remind me of a scene in Labyrinth, where a fairy is flying slowly, all beautiful and profoundly, the girl is "awww"ing.... and Hoggle squirts it with (what I assume to be) fairy-pesticide, laughs, and announces his 'kill count". Absolutely fantastic.

I'm going to leave this little vicious mark, to say that I've read someone new, and thoroughly enjoyed their work.
V5C

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, a poet after my own heart. You were right when you said you made your own style. But this peice is great. I'm now going to have to read it anytime I'm having a bad monday (isn't that most of them?).
I especially like the reference to the golden apples and the Hesperides. Bravo also to the From Hell reference. I also get, in the last few lines leading up to and including the death of the fairy, a Dorothy Parker sarcastic-humor feel. Has Damian read this? I'd like to know if he picked up on it.
If this is any poem to go by, I believe you'll be a wonderful part of the Vicious Circle.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Welcome to the Cafe and Circle, Luke. This is a good spot to come to for growing your art. I love the concept of a happy (but annoying) fairie finding an unexpected doom at the speaker's hands. I like the last line's brevity and contrast with the tone of the rest of the poem. While it's true that poets write for themselves and have their own frame of reference, it's also true that most of the time many readers will understand their references. It was thoughtful of you to clarify the meanings for us; perhaps in your next poem you could try using a few more universal images. Thank you for posting this!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Welcome Luke to VC. Hope your stay will prove a rewarding experience.

A very interesting poem, some bizarre thoughts strung together, but I wonder what they mean to you. I would love to see you mention in Author's Notes what inspired you to write the poem. Well written, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to read and review.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Ah..Welcome to the VC!
Quite an interesting poem and I must admit it made me laugh at the ending...not sure if that was your intent!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well, definitely original! Not quite sure that I understand the theme of the poem...

As far as I can see there are no underlying messages, just a fantasy poem, which is a breath of fresh air after just having read some of MY poetry (seriously, I have too many issues...)

I like MOST parts... only the parts about the apples giving you indigestion and the

"It will dance

Forev--(Bash)

Stupid fairies!

Bloody pests if you ask me."

part seems a bit out of place....

I'm gonna leave some notes as suggestions, but overall Good Job :D

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1503 Views
48 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on August 9, 2008
Last Updated on September 19, 2008

Author

Mr. Misanthrope
Mr. Misanthrope

Malta



About
Join my group: Night Syndrome more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Our Lives.. Our Lives..

A Poem by Rain