Self Harm

Self Harm

A Poem by Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)

I have run knifes down my arms feeling the pain ignite the cold gasoline that runs where there should be warm blood. 

I have burned and scolded my skin forcing my body to answer why I feel as a corpse in a dead world. 

Oh but the darkness always wins for it steels the time between the thought and the action. 

Just leaving me with the consequences of actions that are not mine.


The last blades of soft green grass are pressed beneath my shoes as I balance upon the edge. 

The fight between the rocks and waves send surging winds that are pulling me ever closer to my release. 

Oh, I feel so alive so suddenly as all the pain rushes through me. 

The colours have come to life, it's like a light is dancing across the landscape picking out every little thing I have never noticed before.


I turn and scream back at the darkness "I am brave enough"! 

But we both know that I am not as the darkness has trained me well. 

So I snuggle down into the cold, lifeless, consuming and cancerous embrace of the darkness. 

Now I am left feeling nothing again as the world circles to fast for my eyes or ears to catch and make sense. 

I think how foolish I was to contemplate suicide, after all how can I kill myself when I'm already dead.

 

Copyright 'The Human Voice' 2012.

© 2012 Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love your choice of words, it makes me want to read it passionately as possible.

This is definitely not my point of strength and I have been told to work on several self-harm/depression poems as a project. Your piece is very inspirational and I thank you.
I would appreciate if you read my own attempts?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)

10 Years Ago

Sure thing, thank you for the review. Will head over shortly!



Reviews

This is perfect. I love the diction and this images. I love the waves of emotions that come from this piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much Laura, I appreciate you taking the time to comment :-)
I love your choice of words, it makes me want to read it passionately as possible.

This is definitely not my point of strength and I have been told to work on several self-harm/depression poems as a project. Your piece is very inspirational and I thank you.
I would appreciate if you read my own attempts?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)

10 Years Ago

Sure thing, thank you for the review. Will head over shortly!
Wow. You captured darkness and very good visualization and it was just a really good read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)

11 Years Ago

Thank you LBB.
Wow, just wow, really hits you like a ton of bricks this one. Such fierce pain and turmoil in this read. I know this happens all too often, real life is so utterly cruel sometimes. You've really put it out there in a way that was felt to the bone...although disturbing to say the least, a very good piece. Kudos.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)

11 Years Ago

Thank you Frieda.
true emotion. i can see myself in this writing so much. the pain i give to myself is more to keep the pain other people give me at bay. it all becomes to much and those simple cuts bring a peace like no other. but all cuts only leave you hollow inside. very good

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)

11 Years Ago

A moment to wake, almost surface from the constant drowning your existance has become. Its not the a.. read more
Boy of the red

11 Years Ago

no its not. not at all. it never was but god damn if it isnt addicting. luckily i have a love who ha.. read more
Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)

11 Years Ago

I have scars across my wrist, one for every year of life. I have blisters on my soul from the fricti.. read more
Oh, to be tortured and tormented by our demons while we slide a blade across soft flesh. I recall the tears and now laugh at the fool. Well written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)

11 Years Ago

I once wrote 'I have scars across my wrist, one for every day of my life, just to remind me that day.. read more
Brandon S. Whitten

11 Years Ago

good, we all have much to learn
'The colours have come to life, it's like a light is dancing across the landscape picking out every little thing I have never noticed before.'

this idea of pain making life seem more real is tremendously sad. somehow we need to see the beauty of life and of our own lives without pain, then we can appreciate it properly. i found this very moving but terribly sad :)





Posted 11 Years Ago


Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)

11 Years Ago

In the same light as your review, have you never thought is strange that only in death do we get rem.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

484 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 29, 2012
Last Updated on September 29, 2012
Tags: self-harm, self, harm, abuse, broken, pain, emotion, hurt, lonely, love, cold, dark, help, life, health, dead, death, suicide

Author

Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)
Mark Anthony Games (Human Voice)

Worcester, United Kingdom



About
http://www.youtube.com/user/HumanVoiceThe (You Tube Channel for Performance Poetry) Without the darkness that surrounds them the stars could not shine. I give praise and thanks to the darkness for a.. more..

Writing